all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Decrease the "burn" in the muscles

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
5 x :30 on 1:00 rest (then increase volume, keep rest constant)
10 x :30 on 1:00 rest (then reduce rest, keep volume constant)
10 x :30 on :30 rest (then lengthen time and rest, reduce volume)

5 x :40 on 1:20 rest (then increase volume, increase rest)
10 x :40 on 1:20 rest (then decrease volume, reduce rest)
8 x :40 on :40 rest (etc.)

5 x :50 on 1:40 rest
10 x :50 on :50 rest
6 x :50 on :50 rest

5 x 1:00 on 2:00 rest
10 x 1:00 on 2:00 rest
5 x 1:00 on 1:00 rest

These are milestones, yes? Not consecutive workouts. An example from my own recent training, working on my 1A1LPU - I moved to a lower elevation, where I was able to get 2 or 3 singles on long rests on my first workout. I stayed with 2 or 3 singles but tried to do them closer together until I was taking :30-60 rest between and then I went for a double at the next session (which was yesterday), and got it, and even got a second double - mission accomplished! I will stay at this elevation until I'm at around 10 total reps, likely as 3 triples, and maybe even go for set of 4 or 5 reps before I lower the elevation again, and with it, the volume back to 2-3 singles.

So that's what I envision above, e.g., you'll work up as needed to 10 x :30 on 1:00 rest, then you'll start lower the rest and, e.g., maybe you switch to :45 rest, get through 6 holds, and you feel that's all you can do. So you stop for the day, and work on building the volume back up, or you take a long rest, do the rest of the reps, and next time you try :50 rest to see if that works better for you. And so on.

I don't see typos. The 3rd line of each little block is a gradually decreasing number because we started with 10 holds but your goal is only 5, so as they get harder, we drop the number. 10 holds of :30, 8 holds of :40, 6 holds of :50, 5 holds of :60. Give or take, it's 300 seconds worth of holds every time, so the hold time really isn't decreasing, it's just matching the rep count to the overall total's goal.

I'm very happy to continue this conversation here or you can tag me in your log - either is fine, and I think here is actually my preference, at least until you start doing it and then maybe it makes sense to move it.

-S-

These are milestones, yes? Not consecutive workouts. An example from my own recent training, working on my 1A1LPU - I moved to a lower elevation, where I was able to get 2 or 3 singles on long rests on my first workout. I stayed with 2 or 3 singles but tried to do them closer together until I was taking :30-60 rest between and then I went for a double at the next session (which was yesterday), and got it, and even got a second double - mission accomplished! I will stay at this elevation until I'm at around 10 total reps, likely as 3 triples, and maybe even go for set of 4 or 5 reps before I lower the elevation again, and with it, the volume back to 2-3 singles.

So that's what I envision above, e.g., you'll work up as needed to 10 x :30 on 1:00 rest, then you'll start lower the rest and, e.g., maybe you switch to :45 rest, get through 6 holds, and you feel that's all you can do. So you stop for the day, and work on building the volume back up, or you take a long rest, do the rest of the reps, and next time you try :50 rest to see if that works better for you. And so on.

I don't see typos. The 3rd line of each little block is a gradually decreasing number because we started with 10 holds but your goal is only 5, so as they get harder, we drop the number. 10 holds of :30, 8 holds of :40, 6 holds of :50, 5 holds of :60. Give or take, it's 300 seconds worth of holds every time, so the hold time really isn't decreasing, it's just matching the rep count to the overall total's goal.

I'm very happy to continue this conversation here or you can tag me in your log - either is fine, and I think here is actually my preference, at least until you start doing it and then maybe it makes sense to move it.

-S-

Steve, this is crystal clear. I understand these are milestones to "check" as I get them. I was just mentioning that the first two are done.
Next session, I will attempt 10 x 30 secs with :45 of rest. If during the session I need to rest more, I will follow the second option you mentioned. Bump the rest to 1:00 for the rest of the 10 sets. If that's the case, then the session after, my goal will be to get more sets with :45 of rest than before.

If instead, I get all 10 sets with :45 of rest (a feat I think I could manage), then the session after follows the procedure above, but starting with :30 of rest for all sets, and bumping up to :45 of rest for whatever sets need it.

Maybe I'll update this every few weeks, or as I get milestones since it's easier for you. Interestingly enough, I think the third-line milestone is always the hardest. Once I get 10 x 30 s with :30 rest, then 5 x 40 s with 1:20 will be absolute cake. If that session feels good, maybe I'll go all the way to 10 x 40 s on 1:20 of rest the same way I did yesterday. Getting two milestones done on the same day. Will play it by ear.

@Steve: Quick update. Two sessions ago, I went for 10 x 30 s with 30 s of rest. I was supposed to use 45 s of rest, but I just chose to go for it. I was successful as well! It was hard but that's another milestone done.

Today (second session of the week) I was supposed to do 5 x 40 s with 1:20 of rest. After 5 sets, I was feeling real good so I just went for all 10 sets and got that as well! So that's another two milestones done.

Next week, I will proceed to tackle 8 x 40 s with 40 s rest. Which frankly sounds absurdly tough. We'll see.

You sound like you're doing very well. Keep up the good work!

-S-

Managed 8 x 40 s with 40 s rest. Last set was certainly pushing it, but it still felt manageable. Enter the 50 second set work

5 x :50 on 1:40 rest
10 x :50 on :50 rest
6 x :50 on :50 rest

Steve, are you sure there is no typo? Shouldn't the second line be 10 x 50 on 1:40 rest? Sorry for doubting once again, I just want to be sure I attempt the correct thing. Thanks!

Yes, you're right. I've been putting in 16 hours days of late and don't always get the details as I would when fresher. Thanks for picking up on that.

-S-
Last update for some time since the upcoming week will actually be a rest week and I don't want to push it with a ton of HS volume.

I got the 8 x 40 on 40 of rest on Monday as I mentioned before. And today, I went for 5 x 50 on 1:40 of rest. After 5 sets I was feeling pretty good so I simply kept going and got up to 10 x 50 on 1:40 of rest (which was not as bad as I thought, albeit my forearms were massively pumped).

That's another 2 milestones down (this is kinda fun, just meeting each requirement hehe). So once I go back to training after my rest week, I will aim at 6 x 50 on 50 of rest (sounds diabolical) and if passed, finally onto minute long sets.

305 out.

Last update for some time since the upcoming week will actually be a rest week and I don't want to push it with a ton of HS volume.

Rest week went well, and I was back at some long HS holds this week.

On Wednesday, I went for 6 x 50 s on 50 of rest. I managed to get that, and it didn't feel that bad.

Today, I went for sets of 60 secs with 2 min rest between sets. After 5 sets, I just kept going and got all the way to 10 x 60 s on 2:00 of rest. It wasn't too bad, just a bit long (about 30 min total). Every set I'd start burning bad by the last 10 secs but the rest was large enough that by the next set, I felt somewhat recovered.

That's another two milestones down. Now I'm just missing the final one, 5 x 60 s on 60 s of rest. Since the final goal is 5 sets of 60 s in 10 minutes, then 5 x 60 s on 60 s of rest is actually even harder than that (that would come out to be 9 minutes of work).

A bit of math tells me that if I do 5 sets of 60 secs with 75 secs of rest, I would finished all 5 sets in 10 minutes on the dot. 15 secs of extra rest would be huge, so I'm making this small change. I think this could be doable.

Went for 5 sets of 1 min holds in 10 min (comes out to 5 x 60 s on 75 s of rest) and got it!

Thanks to everyone for their help. This was an important step to reach before beginning the long road towards the One-arm Handstand. Very excited!

Hello,

Went for 5 sets of 1 min holds in 10 min (comes out to 5 x 60 s on 75 s of rest) and got it!
Excellent ! You never stop to amaze me ! :)

he long road towards the One-arm Handstand.
Soon, I will name you Ido Portal ;)

I have a little question : how do you breathe during the HS ? Indeed, I tend to lose a little balance when I breathe because I lose core tension.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Excellent ! You never stop to amaze me ! :)

Soon, I will name you Ido Portal ;)

I have a little question : how do you breathe during the HS ? Indeed, I tend to lose a little balance when I breathe because I lose core tension.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hehe, I appreciate the kind words.

As far as breath is concerned, it somewhat depends on how long you can hold it. When I was getting started and doing sets of 10 secs, I sometimes did not even breathe much (or took very small sips of air). The core tension is definitely helpful.

However, once I started getting to 20+ sec Handstands, I found I could breathe rather normally. You can still keep some abdominal tension, but you'll find you don't need as much. At this point, holding a HS is not a matter of running out of breath at all.

So long story short, don't worry about the breathing for now! Get longer holds, and eventually you'll learn how to take bigger gulps and "relax" somewhat in the HS.

This is what Pavel calls learning to breath behind the shield - breathing but still maintaining sufficient tension overall.

-S-

Hello,

I do not know if this has importance, but I mainly have this issue at the top position. I can breathe pretty "normally" at the bottom.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom