all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Deep Step Ups 'Side On'?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BennyWalks

Level 3 Valued Member
Greetings friends

The deep step up seems to get little discussion.

I was looking for something that would have a much faster (and in my tentative opinion safer) learning curve than one legged squats, but would still have a small balance element, and would require much less external loading than bilateral work

Found deep step ups.

I have found that these feel smoothest when eliminating the forward stepping part of the motion by having the non-working leg dangling to the SIDE of the chosen platform rather than behind it.

There's some discussion of it here -

Some dicussion of step ups in general here - Why the Step-Up Exercise Is the Biggest Enigma in Sports Training - SimpliFaster

Would love any comments / advice / discussion.

A variation of what you describe, with the non-working leg to the side, was prescribed to me at one time by a physical therapist. I've also done it with increased range of motion and it seems like a great exercise to me.

A variation of what you describe, with the non-working leg to the side, was prescribed to me at one time by a physical therapist. I've also done it with increased range of motion and it seems like a great exercise to me.

One article discussed using it for rehab and going to the extent of using a phone book, increasing the height one page at a time.

Mike Boyle has criticised step ups because he reckons it's bad for the knee, or at least less optimal for the knee, as it doesn't have the eccentric pre-loading of a squat. Well, in life we're not gonna have that eccentric pre load a lot of the time (eg steep hillside climbing). So maybe better to safely prepare for it. I'm gonna keep it high enough reps (15 with 3 second eccentric) that it shouldn't be too much of a worry anyway. Also, when one is able to do them perfectly the non-working leg just kisses the ground- so after the first rep, you should be eccentrically pre-loading anyway.

For the time being, Split Squats are my favourite squatting variation.

I use a KB in the rack position and elevate my front foot. Another great variation are Lego Squats:

Both build mobility and stability, but require less balance.

For the time being, Split Squats are my favourite squatting variation.

I use a KB in the rack position and elevate my front foot. Another great variation are Lego Squats:

Both build mobility and stability, but require less balance.

Interesting variations thanks for sharing.

The Split Squat is like a Bulgarian but without the need to rig a foot stand...and I'd imagine it's harder in Split Squats for the back leg to inadvertantly assist. I like them cos very little kit required.

My only misgiving - the knee travels very far forward on them...

comments / advice / discussion.

The Step Up

This is one of my favorite exercises.

Concentric Contraction

As we know, it is predominately a Concentric Contraction. It has virtually not Eccentric component to it.

One of the benefits of Concentric Only Contraction...

1) Greater development of Concentric Strength is forged.

2) There is less trauma/stress in a Concentric Movement than one with an Eccentric element.

That means faster recovery occurs with a Concentric Only Movement. as per research.

Bike Example

Riding a bike is essentially a Step Up or One Leg Leg Press with only a Concentric Contraction.

Bikers have some of the best legs in the game. Some bodybuilder with back issues have developed great leg by riding a bike.

One of the issues with Back Squats is due to heavy loads the back sometimes take a beating, slowing recovery.

This article addresses that issue.

Back

Bondarchuk, a Soviet Coach, determined one of the most effective method of increasing Leg Strength an minimizing overtraining of the Lower Back was/is Barbell Step Ups.

If you really want to minimize the Lower Back in a Step Up, perform them by holding Dumbbells.

Another Issue With Back Squats

The limiting factor in any exercise is the weak link.

The weak link in a Back Squat is the Lower Back. As per Dr Tom McLaughlin (Bio-Mechanics Exercise PhD) stated, the Lower Back is easily and quickly overtrained.

Thus in a Back Squat, the Lower Back usually give out before the Legs are completed overloaded.

"When The Back Says No and The Legs Say Go" Article

Hollie Evette was one of the best Squatter in Powerlifting; an even greater Strength Coach.

Evette's article addressed how to incorporate specific exercises that overloaded the Legs, by minimizing the Lower Back involvement.

Pistol Squats

This exercise primarily increases strength in the stabilizer muscles rather than the primary movers.

You definitely need strong stabilizer muscle in a Squat.

However, strength in the primary muscle in the Legs is increased by minimizing or eliminating the Stabilizer Muscles. Bilateral Squats engage more of the primary movers. The Leg Press places the full workload on the Leg.

With that in mind, both Stabilizer Muscles and Primary Movers exercises are necessary for developing Maximum Strength.

Step Ups With and Without Momentum

Both have a value and place on a One Leg Step Up.

1) Without Leg Drive Off The Floor

This increases strength off the bottom.

2) With Leg Drive Off The Floor

a) A greater overload is achieved in the top part of the movement if it is load.

b) If performed with a bounce with the hind leg some of the Stretch Reflex is achieved and developed in that Leg.

Mike Boyle

A Mixture of Information

Some of the information he provides is good, while some of his information is not.

Mark Rippetoe

As per Mark, "...the man has spent the last 2 years running away from basic barbell training as the best method to get strong? Ignore the fact that he contradicts himself with his support of our programs and then his advocacy of one-legged DB split-squats as a basic exercise? Dismiss the fact that he says the back doesn't respond to training as the basic transmitter of force between the ground and the bar?"

With that said, Mark's has a much higher opinion of him that I do.

Last edited:
Interesting variations thanks for sharing.

The Split Squat is like a Bulgarian but without the need to rig a foot stand...and I'd imagine it's harder in Split Squats for the back leg to inadvertantly assist. I like them cos very little kit required.

My only misgiving - the knee travels very far forward on them...
Yes, the knee travels way forward and this is intentional. I use them for building strength in a full range of motion - and thereby building mobility. The knee traveling forward will help you with ankle dorsiflexion, which is usually lacking in all cultures that use chairs for sitting (i.e. that don't spend time in a deep squat).

Anyway, I like them a lot and they have helped me with my TGUs, as the lunging part used to be my nemesis.

I just do mine from a crate or have also done them on 3rd step from the bottom on a flight of stairs. I reach as far back as I can with non-working leg and tap the toe. At the top I tap the toe again next to the working foot.

This approach does 3 things well - it eliminates a lot of balance factor inherent in single leg work, it eliminates any tendency to round the lower back no matter how low you go, and it mimics stride mechanics used when hiking elevation changes.

there is a slight assist off the bottom from the non working foot, but this can be minimized by using a slow initial push and a deep reach back with the toe.

Since it works the hamstrings as well as the quads and the glutes, would it be safe to consider this a complete leg exercise? Or would you guys say some extra hamstring work is needed?

Since it works the hamstrings as well as the quads and the glutes, would it be safe to consider this a complete leg exercise?

Hamstring Activation In Squat/Step Up

Approximately 50% Activation of the Hamstrings occurs in a Squat or Step Up. The Quads are usually the primary movers.

The amount of involvement of the Hamstrings is depended on how a Squat or Step Up is performed.

Upright-Vertical Movement

If the Squat or Step Up is performed in a more upright, vertical movement, the Quads are involved to a greater extent with less assistance from the Hamstrings.

As Bauer stated, the knees will travel forward.

Forward Lean Movement

If you sit back and lean forward (as in a Powerlifting Squat) or lean forward in performing a Step Up, more of the Hamstrings are brought into play.

Lombard's Paradox

Muscle are divided into two groups.

1) Agonist Muscles

These are the working muscle in an upper body exercise and the dominate working muscles in a lower body exercise.

2) Antagonist Muscle

These are the non-working muscle in an upper body exercise and the less dominate working muscles in a lower body exercise.

Upper Body Triceps Pushdown Example

The Triceps are the working Agonist Muscles.

The Biceps are the non-working Antagonist Muscles.

Lower Body Squat Example

The Paradox is that in lower body exercises, both the Agonist and Antagonist Muscle are involved; unlike the Upper Body.

While the Squat or Step Up engages the "Complete Leg" it is usually more of a Quad Dominate Movement with some assistance from the Hamstrings.

In a Conventional Deadlift, the Hamstrings (Posterior Chain Muscles) are the dominate muscles, with the Quads providing assistance.

The Sumo Deadlift is more of a Quad Dominate Movement.

Or would you guys say some extra hamstring work is needed?

Hamstring Exercises

For maximal Hamstring development, exercises that specifically target them is necessary; Squats alone won't get you there.

Exercises such as: Conventional Deadlifts, Still Leg Deadlifts (slight break in knees), Good Mornings, properly performed Hip/Back Extensions, Reverse Hyper, Kettlebell Swings, etc. need to part a well written/executed Hamstring Training Program.

Push-Pull Training Days

Upper Body Training is often broken down into Push-Pull Days.

Pushing Exercises like Presses, Triceps Pushdown, etc. preformed on that training day.

Pulling Exercise like Lat Pulldowns, Bent Over Rows, Curls, etc. performed on that day.

Leg Days

In a Push-Pull Leg Day scenario, the same needs to be applied.

1) Pushing Day: Anterior Chain/Quad Dominate Day such as a Squatting Exercise.

2) Pulling Day: Posterior Chain with the emphasis on the your backside.

Last edited:
Hamstring Activation In Squat/Step Up

Awesome, thankyou.

Yeah I've already noticed some of the tightness and pulling on the knee that comes when my quads are too strong compared to my hamstrings- not a problem will just progress more slowly on the step ups than my hamstring work. In fact it is an endorsement of the step up as a great exercise.

Merry Christmas everyone

Yeah I've already noticed some of the tightness and pulling on the knee that comes when my quads are too strong compared to my hamstrings-

Disproportionate Quad Strength

There are issue when the an Agonist Muscle is vastly stronger than an Antagonist Muscle. There will be greater Antagonist Muscle injuries.

If the Quads are disproportionally stronger the Hamstring; more Hamstring injuries are going to occur. One of the best example of that was Emmett Smith (Dallas Cowboy's Running Back). Smith had several Hamstring injuries; his Quad were too strong for his Hamstring.

Baseball Pitchers

Research determined that one of the prime reason the many Baseball Pitchers threw their arm out (had short careers) was that they had weak external rotator cuff muscles. The posterior chain of the shoulder wasn't strong enough to counter balance and protect the anterior throwing shoulder.

Research found that Baseball Pitcher who had long careers, like Nolan Ryan, had proportionately strong external rotator cuff muscles that protected their anterior thrown arm.

Bench Pressers

Some of shoulder issues with Bench Pressers are the same as Baseball Pitchers.

As per Chris Thibaudeau (Canadian Strength Coach), approximately a 2:1 or 4:1 ratio of external to internal rotator cuff movements (like the Bench Press) to ensure shoulder health.

Tight Hamstrings

One of the issues with Tight Hamstrings is they cause low back issues. Full Range Hamstring Exercise that stretch them often eliminate low back pain.

Steering Wheel Analogy

Years ago, I told my mechanic something was wrong with my steering wheel; it would shake at a certain speeds.

He laughed and told me, "It's not your wheel. Your tires are out of balance."

That often true with things like Tight Hamstrings.

On another note is...

Glute Training And Development

Step Up are one of the best exercises for training and developing your largest, strongest muscles; the Glutes.

As someone once said about the Glutes, "The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin'."

1608896885857.png

Last edited:
Awesome. Speaking of cushions, glutes are also incredibly useful when you lose your footing in the woods, go arse over tit and end up flat on your backside in short order.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom