all posts post new thread

Barbell Deficit Deadlifts -- High or Low Hips?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

xagunos

Level 6 Valued Member
So I consistently hit a ton of deficit deadlifts. This was from studying Dmitry Klokov as he says it's the most bang for buck lift anyone can do. There are however too types I notice, the high hip, stiff-legged version targeting mostly back and then the low hip, bent-legged version that includes the quads quite a bit more. What do you prefer? Which is more applicable to life/performance? Which one compliments weighted dips (my main pushing exercise) better?

Video would be helpful here - perhaps links to the two types you mention, performed by other people, and a video of you doing one type, the other type, or both.

-S-

Xagunos, Russian PLers are very careful with deficit pulls because they may alter your groove. E.g. Sheyko recommends that you wait until you are at least an intermediate—and then use a small deficit and an exact hip position as your competition pull.

Video would be helpful here - perhaps links to the two types you mention, performed by other people, and a video of you doing one type, the other type, or both.

-S-
Here is Dan Green demonstrating both variations on a deficit.

The Bent-Legged, Low Hip (notice the leg drive):

The Stiff-Legged, High Hip (notice the hip hinge and the erector emphasis):

Xagunos, Russian PLers are very careful with deficit pulls because they may alter your groove. E.g. Sheyko recommends that you wait until you are at least an intermediate—and then use a small deficit and an exact hip position as your competition pull.
For the guy who wants to get stronger but doesn't care so much about how it transfers to the powerlifts, would you put someone through longer ROMs provided they have the mobility and experience to do so?

The second demonstration's form isn't something many people could do with that weight, and it's not something I'd recommend to be done with a heavy weight by anyone.

-S-

Because the back is rounded, as it must be if the hips are that high and the weight is that low. It's great if your back can take that but many can not.

-S-

Because the back is rounded, as it must be if the hips are that high and the weight is that low. It's great if your back can take that but many can not.

-S-
I understand!

Have you seen this old pic of Comrade Pavel, this is what I call ELITE lol.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
It's not such an old pic, and it's being done in the lab of Stuart McGill, the world's leading expert in spine mechanics. It is certainly not a position many of us could even get into, let alone load like that.

It has to be said that, with proper technique, one can lift heavy things with a rounded back. But the risk-reward ratio isn't good for most people most of the time.

... which brings us to the $64,000 worth of questions - what is your background, what is your injury history, why do you deadlift, and what are you specifically hoping to accomplish with deficit deadlifts?

-S-

It's not such an old pic, and it's being done in the lab of Stuart McGill, the world's leading expert in spine mechanics. It is certainly not a position many of us could even get into, let alone load like that.

It has to be said that, with proper technique, one can lift heavy things with a rounded back. But the risk-reward ratio isn't good for most people most of the time.

... which brings us to the $64,000 worth of questions - what is your background, what is your injury history, why do you deadlift, and what are you specifically hoping to accomplish with deficit deadlifts?

-S-
At this point in my life, I have been mostly running PTTP with deficit deadlifts and weighted dips with great results. I also do some pistols/deep squatting mobility stuff and hanging (Ido Portal inspired)/sternum pull-ups as sort of prehab/mobility. I have no injuries except a shoulder rotator cuff strain from wrestling which I rehabbed back to 100% from hanging.

Oh and handstands/tricking is fun...

Last edited:

Dan Green can get away with it because, well, he's Dan Green. Pro lifters know their bodies well enough to do these things. Most people are not Dan Green.

Xagunos, given your goals, I do not see a need for deficit DLs at all. Just up the volume of moderately heavy, 75-80% 1RM, regular DLs. A lot of 5s.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom