all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Delayed symptoms

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
One of the moments of getting older.
When I was younger it was simple: you workout, tweak something, it hurts. You stop, and in a few days it gets better and that's it.

As I got older (over 50 now) symptoms tend to be delayed. I can go through a workout without issues. Then, an hour later a shoulder or back starts hurting. The next day it is worse. I am thinking "went a little too much on volume" or "that rep was dicey"...

Once paid with several months of rotator pain after one good session of a+a snatches. I reckon older guys (some at least) should be careful with the volume.
I'm ten years younger but I experience the same. Usually it is with kettlebell or bodyweight exercises, and often in the middle of the upper back. I have to say that training with barbell and heavier weights do not cause this kind of issues, and I even tend to heal with heavy slow work. I also don't need to warm up with this. I do not know it others share the same experience.

I'm interested to know what you do post workout Steve please? I think I've read that you go straight back to your desk and carry on working. I also work at home and train at lunchtime.
After seeing the recommendations for the McKenzie method here on the forum, I bought the book this winter and have overcome some neck pain.
I'm delaying sitting back down and doing some extensions after eating which is making my break even longer.
Do you have a hack? Or just great posture perhaps?
Pete, he might not see this unless you @Steve Freides him.

Yesterday done my workout, no problems
Went to work all day no problem, came home played with kids etc no problem.

Woke up and can hardly walk low back hurts so much

Not sure if it was my workout or something else
Is your job desk-based? I’ve found practice before work produces the same symptoms. Just sometimes not constantly.

For me, the warmup is a systems check. The other day - on top of rehabbing some odd issue with my knee, felt something go sideways in my calf about 2 minutes into easy jumprope. Stopped immediately even though it didn't really hurt. next day some pain but not too bad, and my knee is improving.

So...burpees for warmup for a few. All for the best as an old heel spur in the same side foot was already acting up.

Getting old is like the story of the 'Buddha and the 83 problems'. Its always something.
Systems check is vital to avoiding injury in my experience. As a rough rule if my grip strength and reaction speed are low even after a few practice swings I’ll give it a miss. If I ignore and override I inevitably pay the price with injury during a sub-par session.

Pete, he might not see this unless you @Steve Freides him.
Thanks, @Don Fairbanks

I'm interested to know what you do post workout Steve please? I think I've read that you go straight back to your desk and carry on working. I also work at home and train at lunchtime.
After seeing the recommendations for the McKenzie method here on the forum, I bought the book this winter and have overcome some neck pain.
I'm delaying sitting back down and doing some extensions after eating which is making my break even longer.
Do you have a hack? Or just great posture perhaps?

@Pete L, I do zero post-workout other than move on to whatever's next in my life.

My "day job" is giving private music lessons, so I have plenty of opportunity to move around. I'm rarely just sitting in a desk chair and working a computer (unless I'm doing my other day job, which is being online here and on StrongFirst's FB pages and groups, but even then, I'm not in one place for a long time).

I always sit with a lumbar support, either a McKenzie roll or just a rolled up towel or sweater. Always, always, always - the very rare exceptions find me being extra mindful of my posture. I'm the guy who, between lifts at the powerlifting meets, has a sweater wrapped around his waist.

No need for back extensions when your workout ends with deadlifts - it tones up the lumbar spine nicely, and the lumbar support keeps the joints from distorting.

Have I answered your question?

-S-

Yes, thanks Don. User error.

I do zero post-workout other than move on to whatever's next in my life.

My "day job" is giving private music lessons, so I have plenty of opportunity to move around. I'm rarely just sitting in a desk chair and working a computer (unless I'm doing my other day job, which is being online here and on StrongFirst's FB pages and groups, but even then, I'm not in one place for a long time).

I always sit with a lumbar support, either a McKenzie roll or just a rolled up towel or sweater. Always, always, always - the very rare exceptions find me being extra mindful of my posture. I'm the guy who, between lifts at the powerlifting meets, has a sweater wrapped around his waist.

No need for back extensions when your workout ends with deadlifts - it tones up the lumbar spine nicely, and the lumbar support keeps the joints from distorting.

Have I answered your question?

-S-

Yes, great, thanks for the detailed reply.

My job has recently involved a lunch break of practice followed by eating and then straight into a two hour long conference call sat stationary - so quite a contrast to your environment.

I haven't been able to deadlift since the start of the pandemic. Despite the gyms reopening in the UK, our local municipal gym only has KBs up to 24 kg and I'm preferring my new regime of breaking my day up while also being able to take a call and be back at my desk in a moments notice.

Your consistent approach to the McKenzie method may well have contributed to your extended competitive involvement.

Thanks for the help.

I can relate to a lot of the posts in this thread. I wouldn't say that I particularly suffer from niggles after training per se, but most definitely a stiff back revisits me periodically. Over the years I've contributed it to most of the things mentioned in this thread. Poor warm up/cool down, poor posture, lifting too heavy, wear and tear etc. Over the last year I've been able to home in on a big contributor after a workout. Too much sleep. Yep, I lie down for more than 5 hours then I'm into specific exercises to stretch or add mobility to my lower back. No idea why. Sometimes life catches up with me and I need 8 hours sleep. Generally leaves me feeling really stiff and sore though, 20 minutes of early morning stretches sorts me out. My bed is good. As I age I just don't seem to be able to tolerate laying down for extended periods. It must be age related, I remember I could sleep for 12 hours uninterrupted and wake up fresh as a daisy. That now would have me feeling as if my workout was double that intensity it really was if that makes sense?

I should add though, that I do take cat naps nowadays that was never a feature in my 30's. Today at work, during my break, I done my 100 one arm swings with the 32. A TGU on each arm, then the sun was shining in a spot not far from me in the forest. Too good an opportunity to miss. Wandered over, lay against a tree and totally konked out for 20 minutes. Woke up raring to go into the second half of my shift. Completed 3 more TGU at the end of my shift, another at home and I should be fine with 5 hours sleep tonight.

Your consistent approach to the McKenzie method may well have contributed to your extended competitive involvement.
You've said a mouthful there. When I realized both that I had a back problem and that part was strength and part was needing to use a lumbar support, I went full on for both things. Pain is a great teacher. I am now, 20 years into lifting and 24 years after my back injury, really recently only able to tolerate not having a lumbar support while seated - I can do it some, but I avoid it as much as I possibly can and I will really push my butt back, even if it means my lumbar no longer touches the back of the chair, in order to keep my good posture when I don't have a support.

-S-

McKenzie exercises made a big difference for my neck issues. Nothing for the lumbar though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom