all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Delayed symptoms

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Besides saving 10 - 15 minutes, what's the downside of warming up?

It runs the risk of using up resources better devoted to the training session proper.

PTTP is over 20 years old, ...

I posted a link to strength training programs and articles earlier this morning that hasn't been update in 20 years because most of what's in there is still good programming and good training advice.

... and since then there have been studies demonstrating that warm up has no negative effect on performance.

See above.

And if it may prevent getting injured I will rather do it. It also gets my mind into the training frame.

That preparation is mental and can happen quickly.

My point remains - one can get used to doing less warmups without suffering adverse consequences. Why do more than is necessary?

I can safely assert that almost every single elite athlete does a warm up is really all the evidence I need to tell me that they 'work'.

No one is suggesting warmups aren't useful, only that one can adapt one's self to doing less of them. I warmup by walking into my basement gym and hanging from the rings, swinging my arms back and forth, and doing some cossack-squat-like hip movements. I've never timed it but it takes a minute or two, I imagine. For me, it's sufficient. When I'm done lifting, I walk upstairs and get on with the rest of my life.

Doing what others do has never been a yardstick I measure myself against. I can't find any other powerlifters my age and size, either. To each his own.

-S-

It runs the risk of using up resources better devoted to the training session proper.

I posted a link to strength training programs and articles earlier this morning that hasn't been update in 20 years because most of what's in there is still good programming and good training advice.

That preparation is mental and can happen quickly.

My point remains - one can get used to doing less warmups without suffering adverse consequences. Why do more than is necessary?

No one is suggesting warmups aren't useful, only that one can adapt one's self to doing less of them. I warmup by walking into my basement gym and hanging from the rings, swinging my arms back and forth, and doing some cossack-squat-like hip movements. I've never timed it but it takes a minute or two, I imagine. For me, it's sufficient. When I'm done lifting, I walk upstairs and get on with the rest of my life.

Doing what others do has never been a yardstick I measure myself against. I can't find any other powerlifters my age and size, either. To each his own.

-S-
One can always do more or do less. The devil is of course in the details. I understand what you are saying and I empathize w. the "get on with the rest of my life" sentiment, but I think most older lifters would benefit from a proper warm-up tailored for the activity and goals, assuming goals are more than just something vague and general.

One can always do more or do less. The devil is of course in the details. I understand what you are saying and I empathize w. the "get on with the rest of my life" sentiment, but I think most older lifters would benefit from a proper warm-up tailored for the activity and goals, assuming goals are more than just something vague and general.
Of course you're entitled to you opinion, but I still disagree. One only needs the minimum of warmup - one can get used to less. If one can get used to less, then there is no benefit except perhaps the comfort of doing what others do.

Goals that are vague and general may be a contributing factor to poor training - training with a focus can be measured: was the goal achieved, and at what cost?

-S-

Of course you're entitled to you opinion, but I still disagree. One only needs the minimum of warmup - one can get used to less. If one can get used to less, then there is no benefit except perhaps the comfort of doing what others do.

Goals that are vague and general may be a contributing factor to poor training - training with a focus can be measured: was the goal achieved, and at what cost?

-S-
There is a minimum effective dose to be sure. You seem to be acknowledging on the one hand that warm-ups are useful, but on the other suggesting that they are a waste of time.
Further discussion is probably worthless without discussing specific training/goals, and what would be appropriate or not appropriate warm-ups for them.

Up to a year ago, I needed a lot of warming up before doing presses or squats. Not anymore.

What changed? I improved my mobility through fixing my hunched back/shoulders and doing plenty of sitting in the primal squat. No more joint noises and grinds and only minimal warmups are needed now.

Pavel mentioned in his Q&D book that he does a total of 60 seconds warmup before his practices!!!
This is key.

Postural deformation / degradation causes A LOT of problems. In my experience, I've found most movement dysfunctions/compensations are are result of this.

Nice work, @barrak .

It's related to the lift. I had deadlift 160-180 kg right after enter the gym just because someone had loaded it. My max deadlift was 195 kg so 160 - 180 kg is high number compare to that. Squat is different. No way I'm going to squat 80-90% my max squat without any warm-up/ramping up lift.

There is a minimum effective dose to be sure. You seem to be acknowledging on the one hand that warm-ups are useful, but on the other suggesting that they are a waste of time.
Further discussion is probably worthless without discussing specific training/goals, and what would be appropriate or not appropriate warm-ups for them.
I have consistently said that the best warmup is the one you’re used to, but that those who are used to long warmups can get used to less without ill effect.

-S-

Biggest thing I notice as consequence of getting older is more small injuries when I'm NOT training. I can go pretty hard while exercising, but might pull a muscle in my hip while combing my hair.

Topic of warmups could be its own thread, personally I always warmup a little. At the least I'll do a handful of single or double reps of whatever exercises I'm starting with or preferably 5 minutes of jump rope. But then these days I train at 6:15 am - I would definitely have problems if I jumped right in. Training after work would be a lot less requirement.

More info, please?

I just meant that if my max is say 100 lb, I might have a 3 month goal to increase to 105. This is for a lift that I am experienced with, not a new lift. A loft I lot more advanced at. So during this 3 months I may only approach 100 lb a few times. Most of my lifting would be at 60 - 85 lb. Then 3 months later I succeed and lift 105 lb! Yaaaa! Couldnt one argue that everything under the 100 lb is a warmup? ?

This is key.

Postural deformation / degradation causes A LOT of problems. In my experience, I've found most movement dysfunctions/compensations are are result of this.

Nice work, @barrak .
Here is a telling data point:

Before fixing my posture, 16K+16K was my C+P 2RM (tested Nov '18 after 3 rounds of ROP with 16K and 20K).
After fixing my posture, 16K+16K is my C+P 5RM (gingerly tested today).

Only light and sporadic press training in between, and I'm currently rehabbing a right shoulder (couldn't press a 16K with it until earlier this week). Shoulders felt so liberated compared to the abuses they received throughout 2018.

Here is a telling data point:

Before fixing my posture, 16K+16K was my C+P 2RM (tested Nov '18 after 3 rounds of ROP with 16K and 20K).
After fixing my posture, 16K+16K is my C+P 5RM (gingerly tested today).

Only light and sporadic press training in between, and I'm currently rehabbing a right shoulder (couldn't press a 16K with it until earlier this week). Shoulders felt so liberated compared to the abuses they received throughout 2018.
What sort of things did you do to fix your posture? What worked?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom