all posts post new thread

DFW + SFG II Prep

Kyle Bois

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hey everyone, this is my first training log.

Currently:
I'm training for SFG II on November 4-5, 2023 (Guangzhou, China).
Hopefully I'll be under 203lbs at the time, which means ill be pressing the 44kg.
I'm 88.5kg as of today. At the bottom of this post are pics of me a couple days ago (~87.2kg)

I've got no idea what my 1A Press max is right now - single arm presses bug my right shoulder, so I haven't trained them since Oct. 2022 (SFG 1 prep).

I try to train twice a day most days.

About:
Been reading Pavel's stuff since I was 15 (I'm 35 now) and applied it on and off during that time. His books were the reason I studied exercise science in college.

I was in a serious car accident when I was 19 that left me with a broken neck, crushed right ankle & complete rupture of my left knee (everything but the patella); I was in a wheelchair for 10 months - this has drastically affected my training/life over the years.
After the accident I was told I would walk but likely never run again.
While in the wheelchair I dropped 50lbs (185 to 135, mostly muscle) and developed a serious case of lower-crossed syndrome (which I am still highly prone to to this day.

I was able to restore my body very well using kettlebells, but later dabbled in bodybuilding, lost the movement capability I had built & found it ridiculously hard to gain back.
After years of trial and error I stumbled across Tim Anderson's methods while working on my PhD (Sport Biomechanics - which I didn't complete). This literally changed my life and led to me leaving my doctoral program.

Now-a-days I've pretty much made it back full-circle, training almost exclusively with kettlebells & Original Strength methods (it's what works for me). I dabble in other stuff but this is my bread and butter.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Last edited:
The last 7-8 weeks I've been running Dry Fighting Weight (with some tweaks) and recently started training 1A Snatches again.
I'm training with 2 x 32kg currently.
I finished a cycle with 2 x 28kg before this, an outline of my progress can be seen in the two pics below.

DFW 28KG (note: I ran this cycle with Presses & Cleans+Front Squats)
DFW 28kg x 2.PNG
NOTE: I was feeling super fatigued Week 4, Day 2, so after a few sets I said "screw it" and tried my max with the 32kg. I knew my progress was halting and really needed the rest (physical and mental). Could I have gotten more reps if I deloaded a 4-5 days? Sure, but I'm happy with this.

5 days after the above 32kg rep test, I restarted DFW with 32kg,

DFW 32KG (note: I 'm running this cycle as prescribed, C&P and Front Squats)
DFW 32kg x 2.PNG
NOTE: The past week I took 2 days rest between each session (due to missing Week 2, Day 3). The last 2 sessions I've reduced the training from 30min blocks to 20min blocks & increased my pace (i.e. decreased time, increased intensity). I'll stick with 20min blocks for the remainder.

I've recently added in 1A Snatches again. Taking it pretty easy.

1A SNATCHES
1A Snatch B.PNG

Last edited:
Here's me a couple days ago looking chunky, ~87.2kg. After I run this DFW cycle I'll cut weight for 5-6 weeks, then go again with 36kg.
1.PNG
2.PNG

Last edited:
May 6, 2023
AM: DFW 32kg, , week 3, day 3
C&P 8x3 (24 reps)
Fsqt 8x3 (24 reps)
ren row x 32kg x 5 x 5/5 (L/R)

PM: Sled pull, 24kg+1lb clubbells
forward x 100m
back x 100m
side shuffle L x 100m
side shuffle R x 100m
carioca L x 100m
carioca R x 100m
forward x 200m

Last edited:
May 7. 2023
AM:
Highlighted row is today's.
Did the 24kg snatch test, not bad.
Used some hand protection (those fingerless crossfit grip things)
1A Snatch.PNG

PM:
  • Sled Pull (various weights, ~600m)
  • // Chins: BW x 4 x 5
  • Triceps Pulldowns AMRAP: 35kg x 21 (on lat pulldown)

May 8th, 2023
AM:
3x20 Slant-Board squats (BW)

PM: Sled Pull x 24kg x 1km (sets 1-2: chest harness, sets 3-10: waist)
forward x 100m
back x 100m
carioca L x 100m
carioca R x 100m
forward x 100m
back x 100m
carioca L x 100m
carioca R x 100m
forward x 100m
back x 100m

Last edited:
May 9th, 2023

DFW Week 4. Day 1 (highlighted row)
20 min session, 30 reps total
Ladders 1-2; C&P+FSQ complex
Ladder 3: CL+FSQ+PP chain

DFW 32kg x 2.PNG

notes:
The 20min time limit lets me push it harder without fear of burnout.
I chose to do complexes & chains to get more work in.
I switched to push-presses on the last ladder due to fatigue.
Push-presses have always had great carryover to strict press for me, provided the eccentric is controlled.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023
BW = 89kg

AM: Sled Pull x 32kg x ~660m
forward x 70m
back x 70m
Forward x 470m
back x 60m

notes: I think the football pitch is about 70m wide, but I haven't measured it yet.
I mostly used a chest harness, but switched to hips/waist for the last ~200m (core fatigue)

PM: Mobility
Various mobility/O.S. stuff to prepare for tomorrow's AM session (DFW)

Last edited:
May 11th, 2023

DFW Week 4. Day 2 (highlighted row)
9 min session, 12 reps total (sets of 2)
C&P+FSQ complex

notes: Today I was short on time + low back fatigued, so I decided to cut the session short (9 min) and save it for next time, which is my last full training day of the program.
I'm happy with this decision & feel it should translate well to my rep max test next week.
DFW 32kg x 2.PNG

PM: Spent about 6 hrs walking around downtown Guangzhou with my wife.
Then went to a Brazilian BBQ restaurant (all-you-can-eat)

Last edited:
May 12, 2023

GTG: throughout day
A) Spiderman Crawls forward/backward 3m , transition into wide deep squat
B) BW Pullups x 1 (
focus on scapular retraction/depression)

notes: goal is to prepare for tomorrows DFW session. Need to make sure my hips are loose, shoulder stable & low back recovered. Wide squats feel good for my left groin* but right now I've only got the strength-mobility to do them with BW.

*I've a chronic left groin/hip flexor issue. Been going on for years but getting better the last 5 months, finally.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023

DFW Week 4. Day 3 (highlighted row)
15 min session, 18 reps total (sets of 3)
C&P+FSQ complex
notes: Pretty disappointed with this session. I planned to be overreached at this point, but not this far overreached.
My lateral delts weren't recovered and my left QL started acting up on the front squats.
I called it quit at 15 minutes.

In retrospect: If I'm going to train with this intensity I need 2 days rest between each session, not 1 (I rested 2 days the previous week with great success). I also need a better grasp of how complexes/chains with this load affect my recovery vs straight sets.
I'll rest up and do a rep test with double 32kg press next week*.
DFW 32kg x 2.PNG

*I was originally going to test double 36kg, but am waiting to buy a 2nd 36kg until I go on a 2month vacation in July-Aug.
I'll have the bells shipped to me & train with the 36kg's then.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023

rest mostly ; some light mobility but that's it
notes: went out drinking last night with friends (special occasion) & feel awful today.

May 15, 2023

AM: Squat mobility

PM: General mobility

notes: went to the gym with wife. She did some bodybuilding while I stretched & moved

May 16, 2023

DFW Week 5. Day 1 (highlighted row)
9 reps (Ladder of: 1,2 , 2x3)
C&P+FSQ complex for the ladder ; Presses only on the 2x3
DFW 32kg x 2.PNG
notes: 10hrs of sleep last night & felt really groggy all day - like I never woke up (always happens if I get more than 9hrs). Feeling a bit recovered but not completely - 2x3 on the presses was RPE 5. Really makes me wonder how many reps I'll get Thursday.

Part of me says test max 32kg C&P, since that's what I've been training.
Part of me says test straight presses (no cleans) - I want to get 10 presses if I do, but I'd be happy with 9.
Anything less.....ehhh

Last edited:
May 17, 2023

AM: Gym with wife
Stretched/mobility
light kettlebell work with 2x12kg
BW chins & arm work (just to get a pump)

PM: Swing dancing
First swing dance class with wife. REALLY enjoyed this.

notes: AM workout was all about preparing for tomorrow's max rep test with 2x32kg, swing dance is for our wedding ceremony in July

May 18, 2023

DFW Week 5. Day 5 (highlighted row)
Press: 11 reps (2x32kg)
https://youtube.com/shorts/QutuuSfh9Xo?feature=share

Front Squat: 16 Reps (2x32kg)
https://youtu.be/98yH9BIXfhQ
Chins: 12 reps (BW = 91.35kg)

Barbell Front Squat: 140kg x 1

notes:
I made a YouTube channel simply to make this training log more interesting. (see videos descriptions for further commentary on each lift)
I'm super stoked with the 32kg x 11 press.
On April 13 I got 6 reps
(Double 32kg Press x 6 + Fail)
That's a 5 rep increase in 5 weeks. Really happy with that & believe it validates the tweaks I made to the program.

I also tested double 32kg front squats (16), BW parallel chins (12), and max barbell front squat (140kg/308lbs).
All-in-all I made a lifetime rep PR in the press* and a lifetime PR in the front squat.
My BW went from ~84kg to 91.35kg**. I gained a lot of fat, even in just the past 2 weeks (as illustrated by my May 6 post, above).
I've really dialed in my weight loss capabilities the past few years, so this doesn't concern me at all (I utilize a lot of 40+ hr fasts, carb & calorie cycling). Perhaps I'll write more about this sometime if anyone is interested.

I'll stick with the double 32kg for the next 6 weeks, cut fat and maintain strength (hopefully).
After that I'll be on vacation/out of town for 2 months, during which I'll have 2x36kg shipped to me to train OR ship & train 2x32kg at higher reps.
Either way I plan to start 2x40kg in September to prepare me for SFG II on Nov 4, 2023.

This is my main objective.

May 18, 2023_front (2).jpg
May 18, 2023_Back (2).jpg
DFW 32kg x 2.PNG

SFG II on November 4-5, 2023 (Guangzhou, China).
Wow, your story is amazing! Welcome to the forum and training logs. Your documentation is excellent. Curious about your chosen location for SFG II - do you live in that part of the world?

Hey Anna, thanks for the compliments!
And yep, I live & teach English at a university in Guangzhou. Been living in China for 4-5 years now.

May 19, 2023

AM: Gym with wife
Stretched/mobility

PM: Rest/Drinks with friends

May 20, 2023

AM: Sled pull x 24kg x 1.1km
1) Forward 50m
2) Backward 50m+Forward 100m+Backward 50m x 5
3) Forward 50m

PM: Rest

notes: I pulled the sled at about 11am in 95deg heat with 100000% humidity across a 100m football pitch.
I had to rest ~60sec after each of the back/forward/back sets because of the weather & I drank too much last night (special occasion, again; I don't usually drink 2 weekends in a row).
Usually I never rest when pulling the sled

Back
Top Bottom