all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Did you trade substance abuse/addiction for fitness?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
One of my running/fitness magazines I get always showcases someone who struggled with drugs or alcohol and found their way to fitness and has lived a sober life ever since. I always like to read about people who dig themselves out of a rut like that. Would anyone here like to share their story? No pressure!

Not addiction per se but it’s definitely helped turn my mental health struggles into strengths.

I went undiagnosed with ADHD (and possibly high function autism) until adulthood when my oldest daughter was also diagnosed. Having the need to seek routine, especially with something that I’m interested in, has worked in my favor by allowing me to be very consistent with lifting and martial arts. It’s also given me confidence in social situations that I didn’t have before.

I did. I was addicted to chewing tobacco my whole life, and kicked it when i started training. Then i started drinking more and basically became an alcoholic l, but it wasn’t sustainable if i wanted to keep making training progress and a lot of literature was coming out about the detriments of alcohol with training. I can still have a social drink at parties but basically never drink alone anymore. I still use THC as long as I’m being 100% honest. I think training for me really boosted my confidence and i think that’s one of my biggest issues and root causes of why i want to turn to escapism. Sorry if that wasn’t very motivating….the dedication required to technique and daily practice is my biggest addiction and I’m grateful for that.

I don't feel like I've ever been dependent on alcohol but I grew up in a drinking culture and have a tendency to over indulge. I do believe strength training has helped me drink less. Because I train most nights around 8:30pm, I'm less likely to have a drinks after work and with supper.

In contrast, after a long hard bike ride in the afternoon I'm likely to drink more.

An interesting article from Alex Hutchinson on this

I definitely used exercise and being "fit" as justification to drink. I neglected to see how much alcohol played into my decisions about socializing and culture. Only recently, due to the pandemic, was I actually able to reflect on what alcohol was doing to myself.
I never considered myself an alcoholic or addicted, but it was definitely a part of my routine and I did have some tendencies with it. I still will have an occasional drink with my family, but really do not like how I feel an hour later.
Not an answer to the question, but somewhat relevant.

I think it's safe to say I have a mild addiction to training, AND if I wasn't addicted to training I could very easily be addicted to something much much worse and more costly (in every way).

I try not to let my addiction affect my life negatively, and I can go a day or two without it no problem, but there are times...

This is an interesting topic to me. I’ve only had a relatively brief period in my life where I was probably a practicing alcoholic (2-3years or so…) but I’ve always noticed the tendency to be “addicted” to….well, lots of different things.

This isn’t the first time I’ve talked about this here, but it’s a very relevant thread. I’ve met numerous folks who used to be every shade of addict and then became obsessed CrossFit athletes or the like. I’d much rather see people do CrossFit than meth, so to speak, but I would like to bring up a topic here that doesn’t get enough attention:

Shame.

People who are addicted to something very, very often experience a great deal of shame and feelings if unworthiness. While training is a better “band aid” for it than drinking or drugs, I think I still see a lot of athletic people who are shame-driven. “I’m only worth something if I’m doing something.” I know I’ve been there. Since the first round of lockdowns I’ve had to re-question my training motivations more than ever. These days I do a lot of self talk to motivate myself to be healthy over being jacked or whatever. My vain side still wants to be jacked and tough, but my sensible side just wants to feel strong and energetic.

If anyone in this thread has dealt with self-shame, I wish you the best. You are not alone and it’s totally normal and okay to struggle. Just remember, you are not your shame, you are just experiencing it. You are most definitely a worthy person even if you can’t press double body weight with one arm ;)

Health and strength to you all!

Yes. Sorta. Not exactly.

I’ve been in recovery for 9 years.

I wouldn’t call it a straight away trade because I have many other outlets that support my sobriety but getting back into fitness was one of the first things I made a part of daily/weekly life after treatment.

I’m definitely “addicted” to my training. Couldn’t imagine going more than a few days without some type of movement practice.

At the end of the day, my training is a true passion/privilege that’s extremely fulfilling and not something I’m forced to do everyday because of a physical dependency.

Same but very different.

Yes. Sorta. Not exactly.

I’ve been in recovery for 9 years.

I wouldn’t call it a straight away trade because I have many other outlets that support my sobriety but getting back into fitness was one of the first things I made a part of daily/weekly life after treatment.

I’m definitely “addicted” to my training. Couldn’t imagine going more than a few days without some type of movement practice.

At the end of the day, my training is a true passion/privilege that’s extremely fulfilling and not something I’m forced to do everyday because of a physical dependency.

Same but very different.
Congrats! Ive been clean going on 15 years. I wouldnt say Im addicted to training because I have worked in myself, my attitudes, and everything to recover. However, I have definitely seen people who are madly addicted try to make every change possible including all the sudden train daily and run, etc and just burn themselves out with so much new stuff that they cant do any of it for more than 30-90 days.

My struggle started when I was younger. I did drugs and drank starting at 11-20. It was very much shame based as I believe addiction is a shame based dis-ease. I have always been fit and active starting with boxing and weightlifting at 11, more weight lifting and competitive weight lifting in high school, brazilian jiu jitsu, wrestling. My life style took me away from training jiu jitsu when I was about 19 in 2005. I nearly won the Pan Americans in California and was beating purple belts in competition as a blue belt. My drug use took me out of training and all I wanted to do was train.
Long story short… I went to treatment, got clean, returned to coaching and training. I kept competing all through the belts and stayed clean with a 12 step group. I dont think its a good idea to switch addictions if you really need help. Either way injuries led me to StrongFirst and now I am a certified instructor and have a very peaceful life that I love and would not destroy just to recapture some luring feeling a drink or drug might give. I get high on life!

I've trained throughout all of my addictions lol. Probably why I've been so prone to injury. Hard to know you're tweaking your shoulder when you're cleaning 60kg on 300mg codeine. Ironically I was quite notably stronger then than I am now lol. Those days were fun until they weren't fun anymore.

I still struggle with the mindset of addiction, but specific substances not so much. Swing, clean, breathe. Meditation, meditation, meditation.

Last edited:
I was an alcoholic for about 15 years or so. Continued to train ( powerlifting) through the haze and the hangovers, which was counter productive at best. Realizes I had a problem about 6 months before joining the board here in 2016. Prior to joining the board I was doing S&S nearly daily with a hangover wasn't a whole ton of fun at all. I'd get underway for a short deployment and bring my bell with me and practice and low and behold, my training was great without drinking the night before. I know, crazy right!
While I wouldn't say that I traded my addiction for exercise I would say that dropping my addiction has allowed my to train more often and with better results, which has allowed in turn motivates me to continue to not drink. I will have a beer on occasion now and then but that's about it, and only about every few months or so. I used to drink a lot, and daily and don't want to go back to that way of life. I feel so much better now both physically and mentally. I'm a better father and husband and while I still hate my job, I hate it a little bit less now.

Not replace but had them work in tandem with each other.

I am very open about using restoratives. As well as loving an active, physical and adrenaline filler life.

I like being strong, well conditioned etc.

Another member mentioned mental health. Running, cycling, swimming, tabbing, wrestling, boxing, strength training etc definitely helps regulate my anxiety and other negative emotions.

I had a few severe injuries involving a bad landing from a jump. I got admitted to opiates and whiskey. They went in tandem with each other for a period of time.

Trading that addiction for my old addiction of activity and restoratives did me so much good.

And let's face it guys and girls. The results in your capabilities and physique improves confidence massively. You notice improvements you like and people start complementing you.

This increases confidence and self esteem. All of a sudden this snow ball effect occurs that has you focusing on self improvement.

So to summarise...no fitness was my original addiction. When I had a substance abuse issue I replaced I went back to fitness.

Its not been a replacement for something else in my life, but it serves more as a booster for what I do. I workout because it leaves me with more energy for everything else. In fact I make it a point that I workout on days I know it will be pretty busy at work.

I am rather strongly addicted to physical acitivity in general.
When I train with good consitency and dedication, it does reduce my sugar cravings, that can be rather intense at times.
However, the training does very little to reduce my addiction to coffee, which is a lot stronger, and probably more about daily rituals than the physiological addiction.

Now, I can train before my morning coffee, but that makes the rewarding ritual of the first coffee even more significant and vital.
While I do think that I have a quite strong internal motivation for training, I am only capable of really reducing my coffee intake when there is also a strong external motivation, like training for a sports fight and a specific weight, for instance (which I have not done in two years, and I am not getting any younger).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom