all posts post new thread

Nutrition diet/nutrition question

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I was having supper with a few friends the other night and they noticed I was eating a little cleaner than usual. They asked why. I said I was looking to shed a little fat. They said just workout more and harder. As someone who likes to eat, is it possible to offset a less than stellar diet with exercise? Not looking to be mr ripped meth head, but shed a little fat and put on some muscle.

Hard task. You need calorie surplus in order to grow muscle and you need calorie deficit in order to shred fat.

Yeah difficult. Also that mindset is behaviourally unsound - i.e. you excuse yourself bad choices with the thought "I'll train a bit harder tomorrow..."

The caloric expenditure of exercise is often depressingly small too, depending on what you do!

One point though; cleaning up your diet doesn't have to be overly painful. I make huge improvements with implementing single changes at a time - eg no sugar, or no eating after 7pm for a month or 2. Identify what is the main cause and introduce a substitute.

Not possible. The only reason the question even arises is because so many confuse fat/fat loss as being equivalent to diet quality. There is so much more that you can get and absolutely need from your diet. You can eat less calories, lose weight, and still be sub-clinically malnourished for all the micronutrients your body requires. Those can only be gained by consistently eating a diet very high in produce esp veggies. Also, you can eat a low cal diet of flat out metabolic poisons loaded with chemicals, trans fats, hydrogenated oils, etc.

So back to the short answer, it is impossible to out train a crappy diet.

You might look at YouTube and search "Diet vs Exercise". I know that Turbulence Training has a couple of interesting videos that make the point about not being able to out train a bad diet.

I agree that you can't out-train a bad diet.

That said, I think you can get away with some junk here and there, though like The Scientist, I would also be curious as to what you're calling junk.

Though there's more to it, the most basic idea in losing weight is a calorie deficit. So, if your junk brings your total calorie intake to or above your caloric requirements, you won't lose weight. The problem is when you eat normally, then add junk on top of it.

What I do is compensate. If I know I'm doing something that may result in me eating some junk, I'll just eat less in other meals for that day. So my total calorie intake isn't overly high.

Just yesterday I read an article from a couple of years ago, where a guy went on a "Twinkie Diet". He ate almost nothing but junk (twinkies, cookies, cupcakes, etc., but with one protein shake per day) for two months, and lost 27 pounds. He did this by making sure he was in a calorie deficit. I think he's a nutrition teacher, and he did this as an experiment to prove the point that it's all about calories in vs. calories out.

Now - this is NOT the way to do it - but it shows the importance of calorie deficit when trying to lose weight.

And I would also say that the "Twinkie Diet" guy probably didn't end up in great shape from that diet. Due to it being almost all junk carbs, he probably didn't feel great, probably lost strength, lost muscle tone/mass, etc. (if he had any to start with).

If you are training, trying to be in fair shape, look good, etc., then the majority of your calories will need to support that. So, quality protein, healthy carbs and fats. If you're meeting your requirements in that department, I don't think occasional junk food is going to be detrimental. But of course, the cleaner your diet is, the better your health/fitness/strength will be.

I'm a sucker for burgers. And with burgers usually comes fries.

Seriously, that's your worst vice???! Easy, pick decent quality burgers and a side of sweet potato wedges or home cut fat chips, not deep fried. Add a salad and that's a fairly balanced meal.

I'm with Michael. As long as the fries are made in a quality oil and the burger is real meat, I wouldn't worry. Fat and starch can be out-trained. It is sugar and low quality vegetable oils (read candy, soda, pastries etc..) that can't be. I usually enjoy a large burger with some sweet potatoe fries and a beer after a heavy workout once or twice a week. The timing does matter in this way - your exhausted muscles will be much more willing to mitigate the huge influx of calories right after a workout than if you indulge on an off day.

Oh, a burger? I agree with the others, a burger isn't so bad.

I accept that a burger is "junk", especially if you're talking about a fast-food burger. A better quality burger isn't too bad, though the fries do add quite a bit to the calorie content.

What I was referring to as junk is real/pure junk, like cake, cookies, candy, soda, ice cream, and other crap-carb stuff.

And even the "fries" won't add that many calories but will add a lot of satiation IF you bake instead of fry in grease. Just spread 'em on a cookie sheet plain, maybe dusted w/ a bit of salt or herbs for flavor.

I agree, but I was thinking in terms of ordering a burger from a restaurant or fast food place. Generally your only option is fries that were fried in oil.

Of course, some places will let you substitute a baked potato or salad or something else. But, I don't see many baked "fries" in restaurants - would be a good option though.

I have seen a few places w/ baked fries but quite rare. I you were to look into where the meat comes from at fast food places and standard restaurants, you would never eat that crap again. Industrial meat is not fit for human consumption! Read 1st chapter of "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollen in which he goes into detail about what those poor beasties are feed and the fallout in terms of their health. If you were a cannibal, would you eat in the cancer ward at your local hospital? I thought not... 'Nuff said. Source 100% grass fed AND finished meat only and even the taste difference alone will amaze you. The deeper chemistry not to mention the moral implications are pretty appalling, staggering really. If you live in middle of big city even, there are likely shops that will stock this kind of thing frozen. Worst case, you can find online shipped to you on ice. Your health is a basic component of strength!

I'm gluten free, if options are limited I order a burger, salad and a little bag of fruit. Chuck away the roll, cut up the burger, lob everything in the salad bowl. Pretty good. Or I don't eat and make up for it when home. Fast food outlets obviously, not anywhere where I'm judged on table manners!
Eating out is pretty easy now. Italian is risotto, Indian is everything bar nan bread, Mexican is sans wrap.....and I've found that if I ask nicely....'could I have some extra veg please' they will usually accommodate me an extra helping. Funny story on the radio the other day, a gluten free guy in a French restaurant asked the waiter what the gluten free options were, the waiter replied: 'don't eat the bread'. Well, I found it funny.......

Josh Hills and Dan John's Fat loss Happens on a Monday is a great book and makes a lot of sense, I have used my fitness pal before and it's great but I found it tedious after a bit. I personally find life is too short to count Macros,buy hey everyone;s different.
Try out the Total Tension complex for 6 weeks make an effort to eat sensibly and get good sources of protein and you'll def get results.
Good Luck

Well if burgers aren't too bad then I'm in. I work on a railway crew swinging a sledge all day. I'll skip the fries and opt for a salad or soup. The quality of the burger might not be top notch at the motels restaurant, but has to be better than a fast food joint. Still flip flopping about when to do my s&s sessions. Am or pm. Right now they are both tough.

People tend to look for an easy solution when they want to loose weight. Like swapping fries for salad when you have a burger is gonna do the magic and get you ripped like those guys advertising for some AB-machine on the tv-shop.

The thing is that there is no magic trick. You gotta look at the whole picture and change your eating habits. Your breakfast, lunch ect.

When im on a clean eating / low carb / high fat / paleo roll several days in a row, a burger with fries is almost a necessity to keep my energy level high.

A healthy diet is something which maintains and improve overall health. Well, if you can't nip that junk food, then there are many other choices for healthy junk food. But I would recommend to strictly stick to your weight loss program for best results. I currently follow weight loss and nutrition at lindarabah.com.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom