all posts post new thread

Nutrition Diet Soda linked to Dementia and Stroke

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Interesting, I love this kind of stuff! On a Tim Ferris podcast, one of his guests (Dominic D'Agostino maybe?) theorized that cancer might be a metabolic disease. Perhaps dementia is too. This sort of thing is exciting to me, as it shows that you can grow/maintain a lot of health and strength not with buying expensive super foods, but perhaps simply avoiding a few things.
"As usual, the ancients. As Ennius wrote, “The good is mostly in the absence of bad”; Nimium boni est, cui nihil est mali.
Taleb, Antifragile. "

I cut out drinking pop a long time ago. I had one about a month ago, and it made me nauseous.

Interesting, I love this kind of stuff! On a Tim Ferris podcast, one of his guests (Dominic D'Agostino maybe?) theorized that cancer might be a metabolic disease. Perhaps dementia is too. This sort of thing is exciting to me, as it shows that you can grow/maintain a lot of health and strength not with buying expensive super foods, but perhaps simply avoiding a few things.

Metabolic Mitochondrial Damage

Dom D'Agostino's is one of the leading on cancer being "Metabolic Disease".

D'Agostino's research revolves around the use of the Ketogenic Diet as a cancer treatment method.

Damaged Mitochondria

Research show cancer cells are mutated cells that grow out of control.

These "Metabolic Damaged" cancer cells survive and proliferate on glucose.

Due to cancer cells damage, they are unable to utilize ketones for energy like normal cells.

Ketones are one of the "Achilles' Heel" of cancer cells.

Starving Cancer

Normal health cells are "Metabolically Flexible"; able to adapt and utilize glucose and/or ketones (fractured fat).

D'Agostino and other researcher have found that a Ketogenic Diet essentially "Starves Cancer" by not providing cancer with their energy source, glucose.

Keto and Dimentia

The Ketogenic Diet shows promises for dimentia.

Kenny Croxdale

IF style Fasting also helps since you are going longer without taking in food and letting your cells rest and replenish.

Intermittent Fasting

Yea, there's some fascinating information on the benefits of fasting.

Intermittent Fasting elicits some of the same effects same effects as the Ketogenic Diet.

Research from Dr Thomas Seyfried (who collaberates with D'Agostino) on research demonstrated that combining Intermittent Fasting with the Ketogenic Diet provide a positive synergistic effect when it come to cancer and other health issues.

Kenny Croxdale

Too bad the article does not provide a link to the original paper...
One thing that's often the case: researchers feed mice/cell cultures an abnormal amount of the substance of interest which makes it practically impossible to consume the human equivalent.
Also remember: the dose makes the poison!
Research clearly points out that artificial sweeteners do not cause cancer or diabetes!
However there are some new publications examining the effect of artificial sweeteners on the gut microbiome. Practically that means that some people (not all) might benefit from reducing their intake of artificial sweeteners since their microbiome is composed in such a way that an overload of artificial sweeteners would "starve" the good bacteria by nourishing the "bad" guys which are super efficient in extracting every last calorie of your food and therefore contributing to fat gain. However keep in mind that this research is early days. The sample sizes are small and there are also people who will not experience any effect of all that, meaning that it does not matter for them whether they consume a boatloat of artificial sweeteners or not.

Just use common sense: some soda here and there will probably not hurt anyone. However drinking bottleloads every day might be not too good.
I personally like these liquid sweeteners to sweeten my joghurt ...

The data collected did not distinguish between the types of artificial sweeteners used in the drinks.

The study period covers a time-frame when aspartame was in widespread use. This sweetener in particular was known for many years to be NG for human consumption, slipped into the food supply by Monsanto, the same company that put dioxin in Lysol.

Actually aspartame does not pose a real danger. Same goes for every sweetener that is in use!
The link to the microbiome in some people is much more interresting ...

I was never able to get used to the taste of artificial sweeteners anyway; I actually found it easier to get used to not having soda at all, and I used to drink a lot of that stuff.

Actually there is no need to fear that stuff aslong as you do not overdo it.
However avoiding it all together is def fool proof in every regard.
Personally I like yoghurt with frozer berries. Eat it every single day. But those deep frozen berrier are always extremeley sour, so I sprinkle in some liquid sweetener. However I almost never have diet soda ...

Actually aspartame does not pose a real danger. Same goes for every sweetener that is in use!
I think the real danger in artificial sweeteners is indirect; like sugar, they can make a person crave certain foods (or any food) even when the person is not hungry, leading to overeating and especially overeating of processed foods.

I think the real danger in artificial sweeteners is indirect; like sugar, they can make a person crave certain foods (or any food) even when the person is not hungry, leading to overeating and especially overeating of processed foods.

Yes, that would be a possibility.
Again, speaking from a chemical standpoint there is nothing intrinsically dangerous with aspartame.
But normally your brain associates sweet taste with an influx of calories (our evolutionary heritage). Thing is: your brain is smarter than you might suspect because it can actually "measure" the caloric content of your food. That might also be one of the reason why fat free/sugar free foods do not work for most people ...
Interestingly diet cola is a great appetite surpressant for me ...

Moderate use combined with moderately overweight people correlates with moderate weight loss. Overall, sugar substitutes do not deliver to the extent they make sense for most of us. A teaspoon of sugar isn't going to harm anyone, and a half cup of sugar or equivalent of artificial sweetener is just a bad idea for a "serving suggestion".

Turbinado sugar is A-OK for most sugar usage, and honey, also good for a sugar substitute, is a superfood and still not expensive priced out by teaspoon.

Just BS'ing here, but I wonder if this has to do more with long-term dehydration or a lack of other nutrients over the actual content of the artificial sweetener.

I took a look at the original paper. The authors did a whole bunch of comparisons (>90). But they did not adjust for these multiple comparisons (they even acknowledged this at the end of the paper). So if adjusted accordingly the results would not have been significant (far from it). In a nutshell: the results are meaningless. And that is exactly the problem with media "delivering" scientific litterature to the puplic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom