all posts post new thread

Nutrition Diet Soda

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Diet Soda Dr Layne Norton (PhD Nutrition)

Cliff Notes

1) Diet Soda group lost more weight

5:34 Mark

Diet Soda Group lost 3 kg more weight

2) Diet Soda Group Kept Off More Weight in Maintenance
5:40 Mark

3) People Who Completed Whole Study
5:45 Mark

Their weight loss was a 5 kg greater weight loss and better weight maintenance, as well.

4) Blood Markers/Blood Lipids for Diet Soda were the same as those drinking Water.
6:55 Mark

5) Two Other Studies
7:10 Mark

Individual who consumed Artificial Sweeteners lost more weight and kept it off during maintenance, over a two year time period.

6) No Evidence It's Dangerous and It's Not Obesogenic. It appears to be a Weight Loss Aid.

7) Study Funded By American Beverage Association

9:55 Mark

8) Independent Third Party Validated The Research
9:46 Mark

As a matter of fact Diet Soda with caffeine triggers my liver to release glycogen ending up with high blood sugar even if it doesn't have any...obviously this is a diabetic concern only as you need external help to correct it, but and big BUT if you are normal keep in mind that you will be releasing insulin in the same way you would when eating to correct that release.

I do enjoy diet soda and I rather prefer diet soda without caffeine due to this thing.

Just a curious thing I wanted to share! :)

As a matter of fact Diet Soda with caffeine triggers my liver to release glycogen ending up with high blood sugar even if it doesn't have any...obviously this is a diabetic concern only as you need external help to correct it, but and big BUT if you are normal keep in mind that you will be releasing insulin in the same way you would when eating to correct that release.

I do enjoy diet soda and I rather prefer diet soda without caffeine due to this thing.

Just a curious thing I wanted to share! :)
How do you know this?

I admit that sometimes I like a diet soda and have had people lecture me....that usually doesn't go well! Moderation of course.
Sweet Tooth

I've been on the Ketogenic Diet since July 2016 due to a metabolic condition.

I have a sweet tooth. I found diet soda has kept me from eating things that I shouldn't; as Norton went into.

Insulin and Diet Soda

A few years ago, a friend of a friend, told me that diet soda's spike insulin. Since she was fairly knowledgeable in this area. I wasn't sure.

I did my research and found some information indicated diet sodas would increase insulin and other articles that indicated that diet sodas would not.

Glucometer

To find out, if diet sodas would increase my blood sugar readings, I purchased a Glucometer two years ago.

My Glucometer reading indicate that diet sodas don't increase my blood sugar readings.

My Type II Diabetic Powerlifting Buddy

A Powerlifting buddy of mine is a Type II Diabetes. He said diet sodas definitely increase his blood sugar levels.

These are the only two practical feedbacks on diet sodas and blood sugar reaction that I have.

My Questions

1) Does that mean normal individual may not have any increase in blood sugar levels with diet sodas?

2) Does that mean that Type II Diabetics, Type I Diabetics or Insulin Resistance individual will have an increase in blood sugar levels with diet sodas.

It's hard to know, with with only two case studies.

Kenny, I agree about diet soda! I too get the "temptation " and instead I reach for a diet soda from time to time and it does keep me in line!

@kennycro@@aol.com, does this mean I have to start drinking diet soda? :) FWIW, I have never in my life liked soda, sugary or diet. Not in childhood, just never. If I'm going to have sweets, I'd rather have sweet food than sweet drink.

-S-

Diet soda falls in the category of "I have way more important things to worry about!" I drink 4-5 cans of Diet Coke per week. I also use plenty of Equal (aspartame) and have no concerns about it.

@Dustin D Rippetoe and I have a running joke about Diet Coke that he would start having a craving for it after my former right kidney was transplanted to him... But so far (this coming June will be 2 years), he has not. ;)

does this mean I have to start drinking diet soda? :) FWIW, I have never in my life liked soda, sugary or diet.
I've tried drinking water but that never has worked for me.

I wish that I didn't like diet sodas, sweet things, so much.

However, the diet sodas definitely help me stay on track.

Last edited:
How do you know this?
I'm on a keto diet which means almost no sugar and I'm also intermitteng fasting which means that I'm not eating at all for 16 hours and even when i'm on the last hour of the fast if I drink caffeine (its a caffeine related issue not diet soda exclusively) my BG spikes just like that and need to correct it.

I checked my bg with a normal blood glucose monitor which almost every diabetic got at home, and I discovered this by using a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) sensor which is incredible the information that can provide you about your lifestyle and how it affects your BG lvls.

I'm on a keto diet which means almost no sugar and I'm also intermitteng fasting which means that I'm not eating at all for 16 hours and even when i'm on the last hour of the fast if I drink caffeine (its a caffeine related issue not diet soda exclusively) my BG spikes just like that and need to correct it.

I checked my bg with a normal blood glucose monitor which almost every diabetic got at home, and I discovered this by using a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) sensor which is incredible the information that can provide you about your lifestyle and how it affects your BG lvls.
And you said caffeine-free diet soda doesn’t do this?

Have you tried with black coffee?

It’s an interesting phenomenon, for sure. Caffeine impacting BG...

Yeah sure, black coffee does the same in fact I'm slowly triying to go decaff but having an Italian past...is quite difficult to avoid caffeine!
I need to retest as I believe there's a limit or lets call it a tolerance...for example taking coffees , If I drink one single black coffee its ok my BG remains still but if I take two or three then the spikes happen.

Imagine its that strange that I use to correct my Hypoglucemia with coffee, when I'm low I take caffeine and relax and slowly slowly BG gets back to normal levels (obviously If I'm in a danger limit I take some sugary food) Need to try to understand how much goes up as I didn't recorded those numbers.

Caffeine free diet/light soda does nothing at all, just like water.

I love to try these things btw and my wife having a Phd. in Physiology (master in sport nutrition as well) does help a lot as we end up investigating why, how, studies published ahahhahahhaha

Yeah sure, black coffee does the same in fact I'm slowly triying to go decaff but having an Italian past...is quite difficult to avoid caffeine!
I need to retest as I believe there's a limit or lets call it a tolerance...for example taking coffees , If I drink one single black coffee its ok my BG remains still but if I take two or three then the spikes happen.

Imagine its that strange that I use to correct my Hypoglucemia with coffee, when I'm low I take caffeine and relax and slowly slowly BG gets back to normal levels (obviously If I'm in a danger limit I take some sugary food) Need to try to understand how much goes up as I didn't recorded those numbers.

Caffeine free diet/light soda does nothing at all, just like water.

I love to try these things btw and my wife having a Phd. in Physiology (master in sport nutrition as well) does help a lot as we end up investigating why, how, studies published ahahhahahhaha
This seems so strange that coffee spikes your bg. Is it possible that basically everything except water spikes your bg for your specific body type?

This seems so strange that coffee spikes your bg. Is it possible that basically everything except water spikes your bg for your specific body type?
In a non diabetic person this effect is obviously and automatically corrected by releasing insulin, in an insulin dependant person like my with Diabetes T1 not releasing insulin means a spike in BG by the releasing of glycogen from the liver.

Btw this reaction occurs due to the effect of caffeine on adrenaline lvls and its a normal reaction of everyone system, nothing special here, nothing to do with any body types. Its just a curious result of a diabetic drinking too much caffeine (either coffee or diet sodas) and how it affects his life. :)

I truly believe that a normal person with a CGM plugged will see any effect on their BG by drinking several diet sodas...but you got to consider that your pancreas down there is working to maintain your levels in a good range and your liver is depleting its glycogen reserves (which already does bit by bit during the day normally)

Heres an interesting study on caffeine and the metabolic system:

Caffeine’s use as a performance-enhancing supplement should be carefully restricted to athletes. The consumption of caffeine and caffeinated beverages has significant metabolic consequences on glucose disposal in a sedentary state (Shearer & Graham, 2014). Administering caffeine before a glucose tolerance test or an insulin clamp (the gold standard for measuring insulin resistance) resulted in a 30% disposal rate in both tests, creating a hyperinsulinemic and hyperlipidemic state of metabolism (Shearer & Graham, 2014). This means that less than one-third of the glucose is taken up into the cells, and even less makes it to skeletal muscle for glycogen storage (Shearer & Graham, 2014).

Heres an interesting study on caffeine and the metabolic system:

Caffeine’s use as a performance-enhancing supplement should be carefully restricted to athletes. The consumption of caffeine and caffeinated beverages has significant metabolic consequences on glucose disposal in a sedentary state (Shearer & Graham, 2014). Administering caffeine before a glucose tolerance test or an insulin clamp (the gold standard for measuring insulin resistance) resulted in a 30% disposal rate in both tests, creating a hyperinsulinemic and hyperlipidemic state of metabolism (Shearer & Graham, 2014). This means that less than one-third of the glucose is taken up into the cells, and even less makes it to skeletal muscle for glycogen storage (Shearer & Graham, 2014).
Full text of Shearer & Graham (2014) for those interested:

Relevant data set (Figure 4):
1612440717064.png

Note the dose. A 16oz soda has ~45mg caffeine; the test dose of 5mg/kg for a healthy 90kg man is 450mg. Are any of us drinking ~90 x 16oz sodas a day? Even a 2-liter a day is only 67oz, and 188mg caffeine. I want to see the results for a normal consumption.

Last edited:
I used to drink a lot like 8 cups of espresso per day, googling it says that one cup of 59 ml has around 40 mg of caffeine so I was not that far from that number.

Nevertheless is an interesting topic.

I used to drink a lot like 8 cups of espresso per day, googling it says that one cup of 59 ml has around 40 mg of caffeine so I was not that far from that number.

Nevertheless is an interesting topic.
See above - "Dude, that's a lot of caffeine!" ROFL

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom