all posts post new thread

Nutrition Diet with S&S H

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Joshua

Level 4 Valued Member
My friends!

I just started Simple & Sinister and I'm wondering what everyone's diet was whilst they did it & possibly body changs whilst doing the program.

Keep Strong!

Thankyouuu

My "diet": Eating like adult, not like a TV ad.

Meat of all kind, lots of vegetables, eggs, nuts, berries, lots of fat (coconut oil, avocados... ). Water, Pu-Erh tea, coffee.

Body changes: Bulletproof abs.

Rather than the word "diet" I like to describe it as a way eating that contributes to a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Not long ago was 245, currently 180.

Slow-Carb Diet (the Tim Ferriss variation) to lose weight. This worked incredibly well for me. Lost consistently 3 pounds per week to my target of 180.

Warrior Diet (Ori Hofmekler) to maintain. Really like this. Fits me very well.

S&S about 5 days per week.

Primarily my body has seen a positive shift in muscle versus fat.

As both replies above with the caveat being eating the highest quality and least processed foods I can get and afford.

Rather than the word "diet" I like to describe it as a way eating that contributes to a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Not long ago was 245, currently 180.

Slow-Carb Diet (the Tim Ferriss variation) to lose weight. This worked incredibly well for me. Lost consistently 3 pounds per week to my target of 180.

Warrior Diet (Ori Hofmekler) to maintain. Really like this. Fits me very well.

S&S about 5 days per week.

Primarily my body has seen a positive shift in muscle versus fat.
@Dave Johnson, on the slow-carb diet, the article I found doesn't talk about cheese and nuts. Both are staples here.

-S-

@Dave Johnson, on the slow-carb diet, the article I found doesn't talk about cheese and nuts. Both are staples here.

-S-

A strict interpretation of the Slow-Carb diet puts cheese and nuts in the "occasionally in very limited quantities" category.

Please note that I used the Slow-Carb diet to lose weight. Hit my target and switched to the Warrior.

I started with and strictly followed a single page pdf file (Google search "slow-carb diet 1 pager") that laid out the principles of the Slow-Carb diet. A few chapters in Tim's book The 4 Hour Body go into more details.

Was very difficult for me for 6 days a week (7th day is cheat day and wide open) to eliminate fruit, cheese, grains, pasta, dairy products, cheese, and nuts. I sucked it up gave it a try and the results for me were amazing. Like clockwork 3 pounds per week until I hit my target. The Slow-Carb diet simplicity and consistency reminds me of what I like about S&S.

Meat, milk, nuts, and eggs. Toss in veggies and some fruit. My vice are carbs though. Put a burger and fries in front of me and poof, gone.

Very cool! Thanks for your input guys.

Did anybody get truly ripped from S&S?

I have heard of guys having veins popping out all over the place; looking very Jeff Sokol by the end of the program haha.

That would be the goal, super lean with veins pooping everywhere & Super Strong!

Any tips my friends??

In my experience S&S is primarily a GPP programme; and for that it is exceptional. One of the best tools out there for that job. Will it get you Super Strong...? look no further than @Pavel Macek. As far as super lean with veins a poppin' and all goes, I can't really comment; thats mostly going to be diet and nutrition as discussed in this thread. That hasn't happened to me, but that is not on my radar as a goal.

When I only do S&S my appetite is pretty low. Intermittent fasting works best for me on S&S.

In my mind, diet is comprised of food choice and food timing. For food choice, I've stuck with the "Perfect Health Diet" guidelines for a few years now. It's basically Paleo, but with more starchy carbs and healthy fats. For food timing, I usually don't eat until mid day or a little later (I will have some almonds or something to take the edge off some mornings, but there usually isn't an edge to take off), then again a few hours before bed. I can train at any point in the day without adjusting how/when I eat. Although I don't train S&S currently, I train in a similar manner and I have eaten this way while doing strict S&S. That being said, when I was new to fasting, I couldn't train at all while I was in a fasted state without feeling terrible afterwards.

@Bro Mo @Snowman How do you guys feel when you train while not having eaten (on fast days..or when not having eaten carbs until the training)? Reason I ask is, I do feel dizzy, a slight faint when I deadlift or swing or press. Because of this reason I have to eat some carbs an hour or so before the training. So warrior diet didn't work for me.

At this point, I feel fine as long as I don't red line. By fine, I mean I feel the same regardless of whether I've eaten or not. However, this has only been true within the last year, and I've been doing the IF thing for 2-3 years now.

@Bro Mo @Snowman How do you guys feel when you train while not having eaten (on fast days..or when not having eaten carbs until the training)? Reason I ask is, I do feel dizzy, a slight faint when I deadlift or swing or press. Because of this reason I have to eat some carbs an hour or so before the training. So warrior diet didn't work for me.

I'm a Warrior way of eating type. In my case I seem to have found a nice balance that it does not matter when I work out. Like many of us my schedule with a job, wife, and 3 kids is a bit hectic. I do my rather strict S&S sometimes at mid-day, and sometimes in the evenings. About 3 days per week I eat nothing but a dinner in the evening. The others days I chew on small amounts of fruit and vegetables mostly in the mornings and have my normal dinner in the evening.

I have gone through periods of training after eating, before eating, without eating. After a while I feel like my body performance is independent of my eating schedule. I feel like my body is using stored glycogen and fat and the food being digested is not ready for use yet anyway.

The big elephant in the room is water. I've also trained hydrated, dehydrated, etc so I feel like it's more independent than it used to be but, regardless, if I'm dehydrated performance sucks and I feel the same way you describe.

I cut a session short one time because I felt like I just couldn't catch my breath. It felt like I was really dehydrated and my blood just wasn't pumping - then I remembered I had given blood the day before and it all made sense.

Long story short, listen to your body and over time I believe it will adapt to whatever we put in front of it.

Thanks @Snowman , @Dave Johnson .

Bro Mo , interesting, in my case it could be dehydration..playing a role, I shoud look into that too. I hadn't thought of that.

So a question I have is, how long does glycogen last with no carbs? If one does not eat carbs since morning how is my glocogen level by 4PM or 5Pm? Is this something that varies by person?

Hahahaha @Bro Mo I have done the same thing with giving blood, only I went rock climbing. I was really confused until I figured it out...

@Abdul Rasheed I think you nailed it with the personal variability. The more effectively you process oxygen/carbon dioxide and use fat as a fuel, the less glycogen you use so the longer it lasts. Also, your body can get better at storing more glycogen and producing glycogen from fat (well, glycerol). At least that's my understanding.

This is turning out to be an awesome thread guys, keep the info coming!

I'm loving S&S, already feeling stronger.
And being a bouncer I feel much more confident on the door

@Bro Mo is spot on about staying hydrated and listening to your body. A few years back we experimented with doing what we called depletion days in the lead up training to a big climb. It was looked on as a sort of 'test'. The day would vary but an example would be:
Mountain Bike 2hrs, Rock Climb 3hrs, Circuit Train Cals 30min, Run 1hr, Ruck 1hr, Circuit Train Cals 30min, Run 30min. This would be done on mostly water alone. (We were pretty highly trained and motivated at the time) Our a$$es were dragging a bit by the end but all in all it wasn't that bad once you got into it.
Staying hydrated was key.
Note: personal experience only... not an endorsement of that type of training on a regular basis, and certainly not aligned with SF principles.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom