all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Difference between Verkhoshansky and Seluyanov?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

foobar

Level 3 Valued Member
I've been reading about Verkhoshansky "local muscular endurance" training
(described in detail in his book http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Portals/0/Book/Special_Strength_Training.pdf)
The basic idea is to engage fast-twitch fibers (without overloading cardio-respiratory system).

What are the main differences between "local muscular endurance" and ideas described
in "The Quick and the Dead" (which I believe are based on Seluyanov's approach).

They seem very similar, but are they the same?

@foobar
This series of articles explains Selouyanov's Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber Hypertrophy Method mentioned in the article @Steve Freides linked to above:

Very different indeed to both Verkhoshansky classic AGT/A+A {mitochondrial respiration] and Q&D [mitochondrial biogenesis] methods

This series of articles explains Selouyanov's Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber Hypertrophy Method mentioned in the article @Steve Freides linked to above:
If memory serves, there are 4 articles in total, and each has links to the others at the end of the article.

-S-

Thanks for links.

I understand Seluyanov's stato-dynamic (ie, slow-twitch fiber) training. I also understand
Verkhoshansky's local muscular endurance, why it works and what it does.

I am talking about Seluyanov's 10x10 protocol (Here's an example of this ).
In short, 10 pretty reps with a short pause between reps. Seluyanov himself in one of the youtube videos
explained this type of exercise:

He explained that the point of these exercises is to build mitochondria in fast-twitch
fibers. The only other article I've seen (in English) on this topic is a blog post:

But I still fail to see how this is so different than Verkhoshansky's local muscular
endurance. It is different, but it seems very very subtle.

There are lots of aspects of Selouyanov's work. As with most things, some good and some not so. He was the advocate of avoiding glycolysis, and the method presented in the first video in the post above has been used in practical training. However, "statodinamika", the method in the second video, has been pretty disappointing. It may build slow twitch fibers, at least in theory, but in terms of improving performance in sports it hasn't demonstrated practical value. As one example, there was an interview with the canoe rowing coach on Youtube (he has couple of Junior champions on his list of trainees) who said exactly that. The interview is in Russian, and I understand posting videos in foreign languages are not allowed here. If someone is interested shoot me a pm.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom