all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Different ways of getting to 100 swings in S&S

SG0436

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all,

I practice S&S early in the morning. I have reached the simple standard and am now incorporating the 40kg. I didn’t have any problems until now. The heavy swings first thing in the morning require a lot more warming up for me before I’m feeling confident that I can do them safely (especially 1 handed swings). I’m wondering if anyone has tried doing the swings pyramid style? 1 right handed, 1 left handed, 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,9,9.

It seems like the gradual rep increase would be easier on my body than just jumping into 10x10 hard swings. Any input and/or tips?

Thanks!

Sam

Hey good luck in achieving Sinister ;-)
How did you warm up before? (for simple standard)
and why do you want to change?
For me, such a pyramid with 40kg would be too much as a warm-up, unless you want to gradually go up with the weight.
I suggest you, 10L+R x20kg, 8x24, 6x28, 6-8x32, 6x36 and you should be ready + some mobility in between (depending on what you need, light tgu and goblett squat with a pause at the bottom works fine for me)

Thank you!

I always have done the S&S warm up as prescribed. Also, I have always started my practice within 30 minutes of waking. I want to change because I don’t feel ready to do the heavier swings with the standard warm up. I assume it’s because I start my practice so soon after waking up.

For clarity, I will still do the prescribed warm up, but I am considering changing the swings from 10x10 to the pyramid I described.

It mightn’t be enough work for you, but when I started back with s&s I set timer for 5 minutes & swung only for that. Some days I’d get the hundred other days not so much depending on how I felt. Still use this method when going up in weight & find I progress better. Some days you don’t get much volume but that’s usually the days you don’t need much as your body’s wearing out.

For all and any lift or workout I always pyramid the weight. So if I am doing 1-arm Swings...even though it sounds pretty wimpy, I do just 5-reps each arm with a 8KG Kettlebell. Then I do a full set on each arm with a 12kg, then 16kg, 20kg....and I stick with the heaviest weight I can hand for the duration of the workout. I would NEVER grab my heaviest bell and begin even with a few reps. I have followed this process for bodybuilding and powerlifting and whatever else I may have tried and failed at.

It mightn’t be enough work for you, but when I started back with s&s I set timer for 5 minutes & swung only for that. Some days I’d get the hundred other days not so much depending on how I felt. Still use this method when going up in weight & find I progress better. Some days you don’t get much volume but that’s usually the days you don’t need much as your body’s wearing out.
Do you still follow the talk test even with in that 5 min?

For all and any lift or workout I always pyramid the weight. So if I am doing 1-arm Swings...even though it sounds pretty wimpy, I do just 5-reps each arm with a 8KG Kettlebell. Then I do a full set on each arm with a 12kg, then 16kg, 20kg....and I stick with the heaviest weight I can hand for the duration of the workout. I would NEVER grab my heaviest bell and begin even with a few reps. I have followed this process for bodybuilding and powerlifting and whatever else I may have tried and failed at.
Did not think about this but I think it is quite doable and could make a lot of sense with heavier weights and especially in the morning when you might be prone to more injury. A nice tip.

Do you still follow the talk test even with in that 5 min?
When I’m feeling a bit fatigued & a little rough I do. When I’m feeling good & strong I power through a bit more. Every session is a bit different depending on how I feel that day. I find training this way I can work out consistently practically everyday without injury or overtraining.

Reactions: Ege
I wouldn't suggest it. Part of the adaptation you're stimulating and seeking is from a duration of 10 swings, 10 times. Rearranging the length of the sets will be an unpredictable stimulation (and thus, result).

Maybe just do a couple of sets with a 24 kg before getting started with your 10 x 10 with 32 kg?

When I’m feeling a bit fatigued & a little rough I do. When I’m feeling good & strong I power through a bit more. Every session is a bit different depending on how I feel that day. I find training this way I can work out consistently practically everyday without injury or overtraining.
I see… I always follow talk test when I practice swings … but I am just trying to learn the technique…

I agree with @Anna C , a few sets with a 24 is a good warmup.

You could try this: Always do close to 100 reps but build up over time to sets of 10, so 20 sets x 5 reps (100), 16 sets of 6 (96), 14 sets of 7 (98), etc, until you're at 10x10 reasonably comfortably. I use this tactic when I haven't done swings for a while and I want to jump back in with a weight I can handle but maybe not proficiently for 10x10 right now.

It seems like the gradual rep increase would be easier on my body than just jumping into 10x10 hard swings. Any input and/or tips?
I'm enjoying practicing with 5s . heavy swings for sets of 10 still cuts a little deep into my current abilities Circa simple levels of strength. i feel confident and comfortable for 10x10 with the 32kg bell. with the 40kg i can get the swings up to my shoulders confidently for sets of 5. but 10s are a bit much. otherwise a few sets of jumping jacks can prime the pump a bit on the fuel delivery side. so if you're not in a regular aerobic practice, maybe give that a whirl to wake up the machinery.

Back
Top Bottom