all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Dip Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nate

Level 6 Valued Member
I've always done dips without apparent problem but Q&D, other warnings about shoulder problems has me wanting to be proactive & keep it that way. I normally did knees back but Im trying hollow position & not going as low. Any expert eyes see anything notable?
Thx!

Last edited:
Vid
I've always done dips without apparent problem but Q&D, other warnings about shoulder problems has me wanting to be proactive & keep it that way. I normally did knees back but Im trying hollow position & not going as low. Any expert eyes see anything notable?
Thx!

video on my end is blurred/wont play

Looks very good to me! But I am not an expert on dips.

Thx!

Looks okay, no obvious bad things (i.e. shoulders below elbows), but I find dips finnicky.

For me, it's all about how is it feeling. I can make small adjustments to my dip form and have it go from feeling 'fine' to 'bad'.

That being said, I did incorporate the scapular retraction mentioned in this video and found it be helpful in both decreasing tightness (from internal rotation) and in allowing me to use more volume with less issues:

Hollow position in dips is tricky. You basically need enough room for your legs to extend all the way to the floor without piking at the hips. If you pike at the hips you will lean farther forward, as you do in your video. If you are not experiencing any pains or mobility issues, then I would say continue with what you were doing. However, if you would like to improve mobility and avoid any potential issues this is my 2 cents:

With your setup I would suggest keeping a hollow position through your core/hips, but flexing your knees. The way I have been taught to do dips is with strong retraction, as @watchnerd said. The cues I like are "keep your chest up, chin up, and squeeze your shoulder blades together and pull the points of your elbows together as you descend."

Hope that helps!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom