all posts post new thread

Barbell Dip to Pull-up Ratio

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mrdave100

Level 5 Valued Member
A few months ago I added body weight daily pull-ups and dips using a G-T-G protocol. I’m finding I can do about twice as many dips as pull-ups. Kind of curious as to what other people’s experience is. I realize we are all different and no one standard applies to everyone.

i can pull up 20 kg for 5 reps and dips 50 kg for 5 reps...my max pull up was 25, and max dips was 55...

Hello,

I can do 1 weighted pull up with 36kg added. This is my 1RM actually. I can do 2 dips with the same weight.

This ratio seems to be roughly the same if I use bodyweight

Kind regards,

Pet'

I made a point of trying to maintain the same ratios for:

- Front squats, Romanian deadlifts and push presses.

- Incline bench and 45º bent over row.

- Flat bench and parallel bent over row.

- Chins and dips.

My Ring Pullup is about 1/3 better than my Ring Dip.

3-5 on a Ring Dip and 5-7 on a Ring Pullup.

A few months ago I added body weight daily pull-ups and dips using a G-T-G protocol. I’m finding I can do about twice as many dips as pull-ups. Kind of curious as to what other people’s experience is. I realize we are all different and no one standard applies to everyone.
I don't think you'll find any connection. I can do perhaps a handful of bodyweight dips but lots of pullups - have done 19 pullups holding a 20 lb dumbbell between my feet.

-S-

I would say it depends greatly on what you are better at. Dips always clicked with me (ive done a single with 32kg) Pullups not so much (my best is a 20kg chin-up)

I can push about 60kg dips (1RM) and pull about 30-35kg (1RM). Chin-ups feel a bit better, with about 40-45kg (1RM). In terms of reps, I can do about 22 strict pull-ups, while I can go well above 30 strict dips (with scapula depression throughout the movement).

I think it all boils down to genetics. Personally, I've always been better at pushing exercises. I even find planche training easier than front lever training (solely talking about scapula strength and pushing vs. pulling muscles in these drills).

My Ring Pullup is about 1/3 better than my Ring Dip.

3-5 on a Ring Dip and 5-7 on a Ring Pullup.

I'm the complete opposite. I am do far more ring dips than pull ups. Although I beleive a lot of that is due to becoming more comfortable with rings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom