all posts post new thread

Old Forum Dips who does em?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I used to do a lot of dips before I took up powerlifting. I did all rep ranges, from tons of bodyweight to heavy (i.e., 1-3RM). I also teach clients who want to use minimal equipment to do them.

A few things on form: Pavel is of course on the money. Other things I do is keep the shoulders away from the ears and turning the pits of the elbows forward... Similar to how one should perform a pushup by the way.

Another thing that made all the difference to me is to include overhead kettlebell work, I did either snatches or presses. These don't have to be heavy or even exhausting. It always does wonders for my shoulders. In fact, I use that now too if my shoulders feel beat up. Dumbbells and barbells don't have the same effect.

Dips are among the best movements out there so don't be scared off by people who say they're bad for you. There are many who do them without problems. Don't rush and get used to them over time. After a while you might want to try and incorporate ring dips, which provides a very different challenge.

Good luck.

Offtopic but Stefan can't you du a topic on your powerlifting and how it fares? You are also Swedish right?

Stephan's advice about building volume over time is right on.  In the past, I've used Pavel's fighter pullup template with dips.  It's all over the internet, so it's easy to find.

Guys this all sounds wonderful!

Now here is my next question anyone know where I can get a cheap dip station or ideas on how to make something up?

I just use rings, hang them up over my doorway pull up bar. Warning: they are A LOT harder than parallel bar dips, you have to use a ton of tension in order to make it through the movement.

Observations on doing full stretch dips after not practicing them for four years:

1)  I got a minor shoulder strain.  Serves me right.

2)  The cartilage on my sternum is sore in a good way.

3)  I've been stuck in "Warrior Posture" for the last four days.

This doesn't make elbows out bad.  There are different reasons to do dips.  They can be tight and heavy to grow, or deep and awkward for injury prevention.  This is getting to be a cliché, but "It depends."

Hello Rickard,

Offtopic but Stefan can’t you du a topic on your powerlifting and how it fares? You are also Swedish right?

Yes I am. Doing pin presses and paus squats today. Had some interesting exchange with Prof. Zatsiorsky and Dr. Yessis recently about my "system". But out of curiosity, why are you interested in my progress?

Back on topic...

In the past, I’ve used Pavel’s fighter pullup template with dips. It’s all over the internet, so it’s easy to find

Me too. Works fine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom