all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Direct core work has been a game changer for me

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It has not only *noticeably* changed how strong and stable I feel on a daily basis in everyday tasks, but it has done wonders for my posture and strength overall.

I've been doing predominantly hardstyle plank working up to variations with longer leverage such as superman planks and have now began incorporating some ab wheel work.

I have been training for years and years with no idea how weak my core was almost to the point of dysfunction; pelvic tilt, flared ribs, thoracic extension, etc.

Any other exercises I'm missing that are worth incorporating ?
Get in a racing kayak, surf ski or rowing boat. You’ve not felt a weak core until you’ve sat in one full of misplaced confidence!

Can you elaborate why?
as he explains, apparently, at some point, the muscles go into oxygen depletion because they constrict the capillary bed as they continue working, leading to a literal muscle cramp.
maybe 10 seconds isn't the only threshold for everyone. but maybe for many/most people.
but, at the very least he is advocating that one stays far away from the limits of performance in holding these poses.
and allow for a return of clear easy blood flow before working again.

I don't know the name but: from pushup position you touch the elbow with the contralateral knee (off the floor). I found an imbalance doing this.

I like the one in which from the pushup you walk the wall up (with the feet) to a handstand, and go down again. I think is called wall walk

I don't know the name but: from pushup position you touch the elbow with the contralateral knee (off the floor). I found an imbalance doing this.

I like the one in which from the pushup you walk the wall up (with the feet) to a handstand, and go down again. I think is called wall walk
Same, and noticed similar with same position doing elevated birddogs.

It has not only *noticeably* changed how strong and stable I feel on a daily basis in everyday tasks, but it has done wonders for my posture and strength overall.

I've been doing predominantly hardstyle plank working up to variations with longer leverage such as superman planks and have now began incorporating some ab wheel work.

I have been training for years and years with no idea how weak my core was almost to the point of dysfunction; pelvic tilt, flared ribs, thoracic extension, etc.

How have you been programming the hard style planks, if at all?

What's the best time to focus on the abs? Before training, after, or several hours away from training?

My abs are weak, and I get cramps easily.

What's the best time to focus on the abs? Before training, after, or several hours away from training?

My abs are weak, and I get cramps easily.
Dan John recommends do to ONE set of 5 of ab wheel rollouts at the end of every session. That's what Harald Motz does, so I guess it can't be too bad .

Andy Bolton recommends one set of the hardstyle plank before strength work, to activate the abs.

Inspired by this thread and the recommendations by John and Bolton I have added the Bodysaw (kind of a hybrid between the two aforementioned exercises) to my mix, some reps during the warmup, and one set as a "finisher". Oh boy, I am sore now. Probably the novelty effect.

@Caleb G. Other than that, Andy Bolton recommends 3x 10 seconds hardstyle planks after a deadlifting session (once per week).

I found this from McGill which I copied a while back for reference but unfortunately don't remember where it came from.

Keep the duration of isometric exercises under 10 seconds and build endurance with repetitions, not by increasing the duration of the holds. Near infrared spectroscopy of the muscles showed us this was the way to build endurance without the muscles cramping from oxygen starvation and acid buildup.

So today I was encouraged by someone to do the “superman“ hold and me being the proud person I am made an attempt at it with arms extended ready to knock out some pulses/reps. It just didn’t happen so now I wonder what the issue is. Is it flexibility, lack of strength a learning curve or all of the above. Yes I now know now that there are progressions but on my initial attempt thinking I would do well I kinda laid there like a water soaked log. I feel humbled. lol

Last edited:
So today I was encouraged by someone to do the “superman“ hold and me being the proud person I am made an attempt at it with arms extended ready to knock out some pulses/reps. It just didn’t happen so now I wonder what the issue is. Is it flexibility, lack of strength a learning curve or all of the above. Yes I now know now that there are progressions but on my initial attempt thinking I would do well I kinda laid there like a water soaked log. I feel humbled. lol

Do you mean you couldn't do it for reps?

Or you couldn't get in the position at all?

Try them with your hands by your arm pits and/or opposite arm and leg raise only.

Holl

Hollow hold position. Then, rocking hollow hold.

Do you mean you couldn't do it for reps?
Yes, but I am curious as to why. I do many different hangs and scap pulls and my shoulders are quite mobile. I do dislocates and I can squat over head w/pvc perhaps I just need time?
Try them with your hands by your arm pits and/or opposite arm and leg raise only.
Just tried them before this post they could be better but I can do them fairly easy. Thanks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom