all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Distance and Perspective

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Thinking about the members on here who are, let’s say, 45+... Any wisdom (I heard a good definition once for wisdom that was experience + time) any thing you’d go back and implement or change about your programming and training in your 20’s and 30’s?
Not trying to make anyone feel OLD here Just acknowledging that the amt of time put in definitely offers some distance and perspective.

Realizing that I had gaps, identifying them, followed by addressing them.

I trained with a group of powerlifters that had been mentored by guys like Larry Pacifico and Don Reinhoudt. Jeff was the elder statesman of the group and was very good to me, he was a smart man and lifter. We were talking on one occasion and I was lamenting how I was slowing in my progress. He was straight with me and told me that in his opinion I had weak hips.

What?

But I'm squatting and deadlifting, etc. He suggested some things that really helped. Now the rub was that because of people's schedules my training partner was Mark Chaillet. Mark was on his way to being a major force in powerlifting and I was a tall guy with no particular gifts. The other guys were "supplementing" and I simply wouldn't do so. Since I was relatively strong as compared to the general population I soldiered on doing the basic routines of the other guys only lighter, much lighter. Had I taken time to ponder my gaps I would have been much better off, but this was the 70's and the science wasn't there. 3's and 5's made you stronger, that much I knew.

I tried to apply looking for gaps from then on. Dan John's work has helped. What difference it would have made back then I'll never know, I'm thankful that I didn't hurt myself.

I trained with a group of powerlifters that had been mentored by guys like Larry Pacifico and Don Reinhoudt. Jeff was the elder statesman of the group and was very good to me, he was a smart man and lifter. We were talking on one occasion and I was lamenting how I was slowing in my progress. He was straight with me and told me that in his opinion I had weak hips.

What?

But I'm squatting and deadlifting, etc. He suggested some things that really helped. Now the rub was that because of people's schedules my training partner was Mark Chaillet. Mark was on his way to being a major force in powerlifting and I was a tall guy with no particular gifts. The other guys were "supplementing" and I simply wouldn't do so. Since I was relatively strong as compared to the general population I soldiered on doing the basic routines of the other guys only lighter, much lighter. Had I taken time to ponder my gaps I would have been much better off, but this was the 70's and the science wasn't there. 3's and 5's made you stronger, that much I knew.

I tried to apply looking for gaps from then on. Dan John's work has helped. What difference it would have made back then I'll never know, I'm thankful that I didn't hurt myself.

I would have learned about programming and progression rather than just exercising.

And I would have learned the difference between strength training and bodybuilding.

I maintained decent fitness through my 20s and 30s because I was in the military and had to pass a minimum annual fitness test, but I didn't excel at anything. It wasn't until age 40 that I started to learn about endurance training (cycling). And it wasn't until age 45 when I started to learn about strength training. @Al Ciampa started that journey for me and that's why I'm here today, 7 years later.

What?

Looking for gaps and addressing is smart. I for sure am guilty, formerly, of completely ignoring things, powering through them and getting hurt.

Not thinking I was wasting my time if I didn't get smoked, every workout.
That’s one of the things I’ve been forcing myself to enjoy about S and S coming from a CrossFit background... when I get done training and I’m not wasted afterwards I can go to work and feel refreshed and think “I must have done something right” not “I didn’t hit it hard enough”

Hey I'm exactly 45+ right now HA! Anyway....2 big habits for me that I should have started way earlier are 1) Keeping a detailed training journal 2) Starting the program is easy....Finishing the program is more important. Took me a while to commit to those two things and probably around age 35 was when I really started to hold myself accountable to them. Find a coach who has a proven program and finish it. Simple. I committed to training for SFG at age 37 and passed at 39.

Hey I'm exactly 45+ right now HA! Anyway....2 big habits for me that I should have started way earlier are 1) Keeping a detailed training journal 2) Starting the program is easy....Finishing the program is more important. Took me a while to commit to those two things and probably around age 35 was when I really started to hold myself accountable to them. Find a coach who has a proven program and finish it. Simple. I committed to training for SFG at age 37 and passed at 39.
+1 to #2. We’ve talked a little... every few days I convince myself I should be doing ABC or something because I want more hypertrophy and enjoy the press. But I just remind myself that there’s a reason everyone on here says STICK TO IT.
I like thinking about In a few months, or however long it takes, 1HS w that 32 in the corner and the sense of accomplishment I’ll have. Not only having that GOAL helps but also just realizing that I am getting better at what I’m doing currently and there is still a LOT of room for improvement w my swings and getups.

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately it kills all of its students.
- Hector Berlioz

A young fellow (climber) approached me last year and asked me that since I had been climbing for so long (almost 5 decades I guess); what was the single most important thing that I could pass along to him...

”Don’t $#@!-up and die”

I wish I was more patient when I was younger. Not just commit to a plan but enjoy working through a plan until it's completed.
Been thinking about that a lot lately trying to view my training as cycles or blocks of time to just focus on what I’m doing not overthinking what’s next.

Things I would tell my younger self:
- think about the long-game, which means considering injury prevention more than busting PRs
- build a home-gym, starting with minimal equipment to focus on the basics
- quit adding more and more assistance exercises to chase the burn and 'feel' smoked when the 'workout' is complete
- quit training to failure every single workout
- don't read bodybuilding magazines, seek out and follow credible proven coaches

Here's something I wish I understood years ago: Instead of chasing after things you can't do and not making progress, find the things you are able to do and work hard on those.

Here's something I wish I understood years ago: Instead of chasing after things you can't do and not making progress, find the things you are able to do and work hard on those.
I can’t remember who (99% chance someone I heard on the Rogan podcast or Jordan Peterson) it was but someone’s advice was instead of doubling down on your weaknesses instead triple down on your strengths.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom