all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Distance and Perspective

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
#1, like @Anna C, "I would have learned about programming and progression rather than just exercising."

Like Anna, I also maintained decent fitness in the military, but only briefly encountered "programming," at ~44 when I won a couple of months of personal training (which didn't really stick).

#2, I would have listed to my then 60-something father talking about the cannonball with a handle around the same time.

He had been using kettlebells for years and I was already ~50 when I found StrongFirst. A few years post-military, having become flabbier and weaker, I decided to learn to use the kettlebells I had gotten at some point but not really used. Fortunately a google search yielded StrongFirst and a nearby SFG. #1 above solved, better late than never.

Many comments re programming and progression. Another thing I would have considered earlier is adaptive response and training for the outcome.

Instead of doing things to be "in shape" during periods I wasn't actively trying to get bigger/stronger, I would have laid out a strategy to be well rounded instead.

The biggest impact factor for me has been to take the push,pull,hinge,squat approach and apply it to everything I do. Its like having an outline for your essay.

A last thought - when it comes to training around injuries, esp ones sustained outside of training environment, take a longer view.

Don't freak out about downtime.

Even 3 weeks off won't seriously effect your athleticism (although it will derail a program in progress).

A better heal up generally requires more rest, and pushing it can turn a temporary acute issue into a chronic one.

A last thought - when it comes to training around injuries, esp ones sustained outside of training environment, take a longer view.

Don't freak out about downtime.

Even 3 weeks off won't seriously effect your athleticism (although it will derail a program in progress).

A better heal up generally requires more rest, and pushing it can turn a temporary acute issue into a chronic one.

To NCM’s point about not freaking out...
I have had to deal with stuff that took almost a year to return to real training on. (several times) Did I like it? No. But I always came out the other side stronger and ’better’ than before...

Thinking about the members on here who are, let’s say, 45+... Any wisdom (I heard a good definition once for wisdom that was experience + time) any thing you’d go back and implement or change about your programming and training in your 20’s and 30’s?
Not trying to make anyone feel OLD here Just acknowledging that the amt of time put in definitely offers some distance and perspective.
In no particular order:

Being old beats pushing up daisies.

I'm 65. I'm not old.

As a kid, I played lots of backyard sports - basketball, baseball, football, all with kids from the neighborhood. Nothing other than that. I started jogging in my mid-20's, promptly got runners' knee in both knees, managed to get over that, and became a run/bike/swim guy for the next 20 years or so. If I was going to change one thing, I'd have done a lot less endurance training and started strength training.

-S-

In no particular order:

Being old beats pushing up daisies.

I'm 65. I'm not old.

As a kid, I played lots of backyard sports - basketball, baseball, football, all with kids from the neighborhood. Nothing other than that. I started jogging in my mid-20's, promptly got runners' knee in both knees, managed to get over that, and became a run/bike/swim guy for the next 20 years or so. If I was going to change one thing, I'd have done a lot less endurance training and started strength training.

-S-
Many thanks to every one for the comments. My big take away is don’t rush my progress but have a plan. And get strong. Been listening to a lot of podcasts about health/strength and I’m hearing pretty consistently that muscle mass and strength training really tend to help the aging process. Like I said, I’m 35 but sometimes I feel like I was 25 and just blinked and aged 10 years. Esp with the baby now time seems to fly by.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom