all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Distance learning martial arts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'll second the wooden dummy. It will definitely toughen up the forearms and get your head in the right place for applying blocks and two hand simultaneous coordination.

Here's one I built years ago (who the heck is that kid in the video?!), lots of fun but the shoulders kept wearing out. Before that I had a simple padded pole with arms. Anything to get you used to dealing with opponent's arms instead of just hammering away on a heavy bag.

Still, between this and a bunch of other solo drills built on what formal training I managed, I was able to show up on sparing night and give a good accounting of myself. Any formal training helps tremendously if you take it to heart in your solo work. Having a frame of reference from actually being in a fight or several is also good for preventing a waste of your training time.

YOUR ROBOT IS AMAZING! WOW!

Yes, in my opinion it is one of the best martial arts instructional video series available. It's focus is on grappling and ground fighting.
thanks Pavel. I will probably sign up this year. Do you need a partner for all the exercises?

Tang Soo Do over a decade
Full Contact Kickboxing for 3 years
Full Contact Boxing for 6-months

Based on that experience I hate to break it to you, but unless you have someone watching you and instructing you and correct everything, you will never learn proper technique. Oh and I already heard it before "I am doing it right; just copied the videos; etc." Trust me, no instructor don't bother.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom