all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed DIY Rings?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Looking for a way to incorporate some ring dips with my current pull up bar (attached to the wall). I have ratchet straps, anyone have any idea for a DIY ring I can attach to the bottom?

Hello,

@IMayAgainKnowChris
If you have a plank, a compass, a drill, a jigsaw and sandpaper you can do it.

On the plank, you do a circle with the compass. Then, using the same center, you do another circle, but largeur. The difference between the 2 circles will be the width of your ring.

Then using the drill, you do a hole on both circles. That way you can use the jigsaw to cut (following the circles).

Using the sandpaper, you sand the edges.

Then you repeat the whole process for the other ring.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You can pick up rings from ebay for about £10/$15. If you're dead set on making your own, short lengths of webbing and cut lengths of PVC pipe could be used to improvise handles that you could use for dips. You could even just feed the ratchet straps through short lengths of pipe and that would give you something to hold onto.

Not sure how you'd go about making rings other than how @pet' described above. It'd be very labour intensive (unless you have a router table) but satisfying to be able to use something you created.

Garden hose filled with BB's and ends connected with a small piece of PVC pipe. All held together with Gorilla Glue. But by the time you get done buying all that stuff you can probably get a pair at a sporting goods store.

I have these - $25, have been using them for 3 years - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHPSXJM/

I also have a set from ringtraining.com - thicker (I believe thicker is the gymnastic spec). Also good, I use both several times each week now.

The straps and buckles are why I wouldn't make my own - you want them to be adjustable in very small increments, and you want to feel secure when you're using them.

-S-

I have these - $25, have been using them for 3 years - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHPSXJM/

I also have a set from ringtraining.com - thicker (I believe thicker is the gymnastic spec). Also good, I use both several times each week now.

The straps and buckles are why I wouldn't make my own - you want them to be adjustable in very small increments, and you want to feel secure when you're using them.

-S-
How is the non slip on those ones from amazon? Do you use chalk?

Yeah. Thanks everyone. Might just order a set.
You won't regret it. They're not that expensive and the straps and buckles are very durable. Had mine over ten years and still as good as new.

Aside from adjustability, they are super easy to take outside and hang from the branch of a tree - your kid(s?) will love swinging from them!

P.S. Ring dips are awesome. When I first tried them I was doing BW + 30kg on bars but BW only on rings had me shaking like a jelly in a stiff breeze. Really taught me the importance of all those stabilizer muscles. Haven't donned the old home-made dip-belt ever since.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom