all posts post new thread

Barbell DL technique opinions...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Looks pretty good to me!

Also doesn't look very heavy for you. Might see more details of how your setup is working if the weight was challenging.

On your set-up... you carefully place your feet, and then you move the barbell. You could gain some efficiency by eliminating one variable and focusing on the other (I would suggest set your feet relative to the barbell, then don't move the barbell until you lift it).

I agree with @Anna C - your lower back is rounding and that's something you will want to work on before the weight gets too heavy.

-S-

Hey Steve! How could we work on that? Are there any specific assistance exercises to help with this problem?
Sometimes it's just awareness of the problem and that's all that's needed. But hips and hamstrings need to be mobile enough to allow you to reach the weight and not require your lower back to round.

My favorite way to teach this idea to people is to use deadlift blocks - raise the bar up 6" or to whatever point is needed to keep the lower back flat. Go through a short (maybe 4 week) DL cycle this way, adding weight. Then remove one of the 2" blocks for the next cycle, so that the bar is 4" off the ground, and again work up some strength that way. Repeat at 2" off the ground, and finally on the ground. Obviously you'll want to make sure that additional reach doesn't compromise form, and you'll want enough wait at each elevation that lowering the elevation and using a much lighter weight isn't frightening - it should feel like a little stretch but it should also feel easy.

-S-

Last edited:
Will defer to the infinitely more knowledgeable @Anna and @Steve - but from time 29sec to 32sec looks to me like you drop you hips quite a bit - possibly that exacerbates the back issues? Maybe try to flatten your back to neutral, pull shoulders down and back - w/out sinking you hips down so much? Bar did look it had a fairly straight path and overall did look very crisp.

First - great job! You are clearly thinking through each step of the lift and are striving towards excellence!

I think two things:
1. Your hips are too low.
2. To my eye, you aren't maintaining form during lowering. You're sort of collapsing down. Think about lowering in stages - push butt back, slowly bend the knees to let the weight kiss the floor. (This will also decrease the "turnaround time" between reps.)

Check out this video from Barbell Logic. Nikki and crew do a great job teaching it in a few basic steps, and I think if you incorporate what she's talking about, you'll clean up really nicely!

@Coyotl, the above video is not how we teach the deadlift. Best to get tight at the top, hinge at the hips. You'll keep your spine neutral the entire time, not round it to grab the bar and then try to straighten it.

-S-

@Coyotl, the above video is not how we teach the deadlift. Best to get tight at the top, hinge at the hips. You'll keep your spine neutral the entire time, not round it to grab the bar and then try to straighten it.

-S-
I was unaware SF had a stance on top-down or bottoms-up approach. I've found getting tight at the bottom to work for me and folks I've taught, but I'll do some work with the top-down approach.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom