all posts post new thread

Old Forum DL training with clean grip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rob Lawrence

Level 3 Valued Member
I love using the clean grip. When I trained with it in 2004, I almost made it to four wheels before I had to finally start using the reverse grip. I felt very strong and the workouts felt biomechanically correct.

I've just started training the DL again and once again, I enjoy the pure, parallel feeling of the clean grip. My preference is to stay with it until I can't hold on, then reverse in one direction (I prefer left palm forward and right in normal position).

Question though: might training this way affect my technique for a maximum pull? In other words, should I practice reverse grip even with sub-max weights so I'm fully grooved that way when trying to max? Let me know your thoughts and experience.

If I was actually DLing for a living I'd start using the hook grip and go through that adjustment. Squashed thumbs aren't on my agenda though.

Rob

Rob, the hook grip is worth it. Use it only on singles and doubles and strap in for higher reps.

Rob, I've been known to pull my openers in meets using a clean grip - why not?  If it works for you and it feels good, I say you go with it.  I like it better for the reasons you give - it makes your grip stronger and there's no worry about "helicoptering" the bar.

About which hand goes which way, my understanding is that most people do best with their non-dominant (read: weaker) hand in the underhand position - if you're a rightie, then that fits with what you describe.  NB: Most, but not all, people seem to work this way.

If I'm working up to 3 sets, 3 heavy singles, or something along those lines, I'll usually do the  first one both hands over, the second with my weaker over/under combo (for me, left over and right under, and my third attempt with my strongest over/under grip.  This works for me in training, too.  If you're going to go over/under, I'd mix them - even if you always do your heaviest pulls with your favored over/under, it's good to keep some balance by doing them the other way at least some of the time, IMHO.

Pavel, I can hook grip and did it for a while in training but I had a problem and perhaps you can comment - I felt like I couldn't really get that extra CNS boost from my grip when I was hooking.  Maybe I just didn't want to crush my thumbs more than I already was, but I gave it up for that reason - I just felt stronger with a regular grip.  Maybe I just need to DL heavier ...

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom