all posts post new thread

Barbell DL Video

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
2x bodyweight * for 4 reps paused/quiet touch-and-go, conventional, from my current training, a self-composed PlanStrong cycle. This is 83% of a recent competition 1RM.

* - competition bw = 66 kg, actual bodyweight today = 70 kg, and half this DL would be 67.5 kg.

-S-

If you had to estimate your RPE, how would you rate that set from 1-10?
That's an interesting question. Deadlifting has this aspect of "it's not hard until it's heavy" for me. That was an 83% weight, so I supposed that on some level, one rep should feel like an RPE of 8.3, but even 4 reps didn't feel like an 8.3. Maybe that set felt like a 6 or a 7.

-S-

I have never watched a deadlift video before that made me actually feel peaceful. Mastery and control here, not ego at work.

Agree... nice description. Impressive lifting, @Steve Freides.

I notice that on your ascent you do mostly knee extension first, then hip extension. I find it easier to sync the two - I get more push from the legs and it's less work on the back. Have you ever played with the timing there?

@Anna C, I have experimented with many variations, although no doubt that I have not experimented with them all. When I discovered pushing hard on the floor at the start of my DL, my DL greatly improved, so that's what I do, and it's also why I seem to rock forward a bit as I start the actual pull. I don't believe what I'm doing is ideal, and I'm still experimenting. I am pulling back on the bar and the weight is on my heels at the end of my setup, but then when I push, I shift the weight to be mid-foot, my knees come forward, and that's where I'm strongest right now.

As to specifically what you suggest, when I pull sumo - which I'm now doing for my warmups - my focus is on getting my hips forward as early as possible. But I haven't found it a good cue for me for conventional. My weak point is getting the bar to mid-shin, and after that's, it's all easier for me.

I appreciate the ideas and will continue to experiment with them.

@guardian7, something about owning the weight is what this is about. And also that the controlled negative is good for my goals of not losing muscle and perhaps even adding a little bit.

-S-

Impressive stuff, Steve! You could deadlift in front of a sleeping baby.

One question - why do you call these paused?

Impressive stuff, Steve! You could deadlift in front of a sleeping baby.

One question - why do you call these paused?
I believe there is a brief pause at the bottom, this as opposed to a bounce. It’s short, I’ll agree.

-S-

I see. I am used to paused meaning the pause is during the rep. You meant it as a pause between reps.
Yes, AND still full tension during the pause, the weight just kissing the floor. If he was using a bar with a lot of whip, it would still be flexed/bent during the pause.

"paused" is intended to modify the "touch-and-go" not the "rep." Sorry for any confusion.

-S-

Talk about owning the weight! Nice job. Looks really easy and probly coulda added another 20# and still been solid. But us Jersey guys make it all look easy... ;)

@Anna C, a bit here on the subject of pushing and pulling. I have no idea if it's best for my build as a concept, but it feels right to me to push first then add pull, and this is where I got that idea from.

You can skip the first 30 seconds and the last few minutes.

I just watched my video from the first post here - the bar path looks pretty straight up and down to me and that's one of my metrics. I used to lose the bar to the front a little, but what I see is the bar going straight up as my shins straighten and my knees extend.

Here are some of the same folks - skip to the 7:30 mark of the video and watch for 1 minute to see the same thing explained in a bit more detail

I think, if nothing else, it will tell you what I'm trying to do. As always, whether or not what I'm trying to do is what I'm actually achieving, or whether or not what I'm trying to do is a good idea for me in the first place - those things are up for discussion. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom