all posts post new thread

Kettlebell DMPM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Im going to start doing this as my usual routine is beating me up abit, with the nice weather ive been running and cycling more.
Ive got a couple questions that i cant really see on the dmpm thread.

Normally i do 3 strength workouts per week mwf, can i do this daily as its only short and light?
Id really like to mix it up so not to get bored,
Ive got 2 that ive done before...

Double 16kg..
Clean press
Front squat
Pullups
Loaded carry
+
Single 24kg..
Swing x10
Goblet squat
Pushup
Row
Loaded carry

Id really like to throw a few get ups in a couple times a week, can anyone help me come up with a routine to get them in, i thought something like this

Tgu x 1/1 (5 each side total)
Goblet squat
Pullups
Ab roll
Loaded carry

What is your goal?
Personally I'd scrap most of this and just focus on the basic's.
For example you could use;
With this squat program you could Front or Goblet Squat heavy on Monday, play with a hip-hinge Loaded Carry ie Farmer or Suitcase on Wednesday and practice Get-Up's on Fridays, this may give you the variety that you need.

I'd then focus on just the Press with RoP and just the Swing with S&S2.

Gary, you can't have/do everything. I told my son who is lifting again to do this type of workout. Simple.

Do each workout 2 x / week

Workout 1

Do 5 sets of each

Clean and Press x 5
rest 1 minute
One or Double Rows x 5
When finished 5 sets
100-200 swings

Workout 2
Turkish Getup 5 or 10 on each side depending on how you feel.
Goblet or Double Front Squats 5 sets (5-10 reps)
100-200 Swings

Im going to start doing this as my usual routine is beating me up abit, with the nice weather ive been running and cycling more.

Normally i do 3 strength workouts per week mwf, can i do this daily as its only short and light?

Double 16kg..
Clean press
Front squat
Pullups
Loaded carry
+
Single 24kg..
Swing x10
Goblet squat
Pushup
Row
Loaded carry

Id really like to throw a few get ups in a couple times a week, can anyone help me come up with a routine to get them in, i thought something like this

Goblet squat
Pullups
Ab roll
Loaded carry

Turkish Get Ups are a loaded carry, so just use them as your carry for that day however you want...

Double 16kg..
Clean press
Front squat
Pullups
Loaded carry
+
Single 24kg..
Swing x10
Goblet squat
Pushup
Row
Loaded carry

Goblet squat
Pullups
Ab roll
Loaded carry

This seems like variety for variety's sake.

It also doesn't seem 'short', unless your definition of short is 75+ min (with warmup / cooldown).

This newly published routine by Zar Horton has a similar approach. You could probably replace crawling or carries with TGUs

Quite ironic that Zar is a firefighter and Dan Martin (the DM in DMPM) is a retired firefighter....doubt it's just coincidence.

Double 16kg..
Clean press
Front squat
Pullups
Loaded carry
+
Single 24kg..
Swing x10
Goblet squat
Pushup
Row
Loaded carry

Goblet squat
Pullups
Ab roll
Loaded carry
The DMPM is often used as a daily, especially the classic version, which you listed second. The other session I can’t comment on, but I’ve done the DMPM as a summer maintenance workout during MTB season, done as often as I feel like.

Of course the right answer to questions of frequency, is “it depends.” It depends on how hard those sessions are and how well you recover.

Ive been doing DMPM for a couple weeks now and im liking it!
After heavy double complexes in the morning come the evening i feel shattered, doing DMPM i feel like ive still got engery for the kids after work so loving it so far.

Ive been doing ABA BAB
A
Swing
Oa Pushup
Goblet squat
OA Row
Tgu 3x1

B
Swing
OA Press
Goblet squat
Pullups / chin ups
Loaded carry

Ive been doing reps 54321 as prescribed, but i want to change it up sometimes maybe 12345 or 123 ladders for time, say 20min

Any suggestions on rep schemes that work well?

After heavy double complexes in the morning come the evening i feel shattered, doing DMPM i feel like ive still got engery for the kids after work so loving it so far.

Ive been doing ABA BAB
A
Swing
Oa Pushup
Goblet squat
OA Row
Tgu 3x1

B
Swing
OA Press
Goblet squat
Pullups / chin ups
Loaded carry

Ive been doing reps 54321 as prescribed, but i want to change it up sometimes maybe 12345 or 123 ladders for time, say 20min

I've experimented with some tweaked version of the DMPM, progressing from 1-1-1-1-1 to 5-5-5-5-5. Mostly going by feel, nothing too structured.

Sometimes it was 1-1-1-1-1, other times maybe 1-5-1-5-1, a few times 1-2-3-4-5... I guess I did every possible permutation.

Ive been doing ABA BAB
A
Swing
Oa Pushup
Goblet squat
OA Row
Tgu 3x1

B
Swing
OA Press
Goblet squat
Pullups / chin ups
Loaded carry

Did you do this every day? Or MWF format so ABA one week, BAB the next? I really like that tweak there!

MWF

Im still doing similar but now i do
A
30s jump rope with 1lb rope
5x Ring Dips
5x Sandbag Squats
5x Ring Rows
60s hollow body holds
X3-4

B
30s jump rope
5x Pushups with weight vest
5x Sandbag Squats
5x Pullups
60s Plank
X3-4

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom