all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Do kettlebell swings work the entire body enough?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Babyubop123

Level 2 Valued Member
At the moment, I train bjj 5x a week so I am looking to tone down on my strength training to allow recovery between bjj sessions. I’m thinking of using swings as a finisher after bjj class since I do not have enough energy to do a full strength session. Would swings, push ups and sit ups be enough to maintain strength and athleticism, or would I be cutting myself short by not incorporating other movements such as squats?

Hello,

At first sight swings are supposed to be enough : What Is “Conditioning”? | StrongFirst

However, you could perfectly add 1 or 2 easy LSD (45 minutes for instance) of running to build aerobic base and make your recovery faster. I have noticed that the combination of A+A and LSD is excellent for martial art.

Otherwise, these articles came to my mind if you really want to keep things simple!

Kind regards,

Pet'

At the moment, I train bjj 5x a week so I am looking to tone down on my strength training to allow recovery between bjj sessions. I’m thinking of using swings as a finisher after bjj class since I do not have enough energy to do a full strength session. Would swings, push ups and sit ups be enough to maintain strength and athleticism, or would I be cutting myself short by not incorporating other movements such as squats?
Swings and pushups should be enough. Situps are not needed. Another combo is swings and get ups.

The Quick and the Dead, and Simple & Sinister (both by Pavel) are great books covering that ground.

However, I am not that fond of the "finisher" idea.

For the time being, focus on powerful swings with 5 to 10 reps per set and resting enough until you can talk again with relative ease. This should not wear you down too much. This is the idea of Alactic and Aerobic (A+A), as noted by @pet'

Not to rain on your parade but here's something to think about

You're already thrashed, wiped out after an intense rolling session. Why would you want to do a finisher? Wouldn't it be wiser to do a session wherein your objective is to build and fortify your body further??

Swings: strong and fast hips, core, resilient back. Grip.

As far as one stop shops go they're good, but swings + TGU are better. So are swings + pushups. Or those things plus other things....

I'd personally check out the strongfirst BJJ fanatics program. Swings, TGU, jerks are the main movements.

It's designed to build your capacity slowly, putting more in, by building a bigger engine, than out.....

Give the 10,000 swing challenge by Dan John a whirl.

You say "tone down" - what are you currently doing for your strength work? What areas might you consider your weaknesses?

Don't do finishers after BJJ class if you're having trouble recovering between sessions. You're just shooting yourself in the foot. If BJJ is your priority, stop doing everything but BJJ for awhile. When you've adjusted to your BJJ workload so that you're recovering adequately, start reintroducing basic strength work. KB swings, push-ups, pull-ups, squats/lunges. Keep the volume low and the tension high, do not generate any fatigue at all in your strength workouts: stay fresh.

If you drop all additional training and still aren't recovering from BJJ, then you're out-training your fitness level and need to expand it. Reduce the amount of BJJ you're doing until you find the amount you can recover from between sessions. Once you've found your current level, slowly increase the amount of BJJ training you're doing. And once you've adjusted adequately, slowly reintroduce strength training.

This is written by someone who has trained BJJ, judo and kickboxing for decades and had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom