all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Do push ups give you breast-like pecs?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
or pay extra attention to diet
Maybe it’s because my parents grew up in the depression, or maybe it’s because I spent some time in my young adult life just barely getting by, but the idea of eating more than I need has never appealed to me - for me, it would be self-indulgent. Mind you, one could argue that my life in the arts is self-indulgent and I couldn’t disagree.

This is all somewhat like asking whether you want a faster car by having a heavier, more powerful motor or a lighter vehicle.

Sermon over now. :)

-S-

Not trying to be a-hole about it - it's just if you gain 10lb, chances are pretty good some of that is going to be on the belly
I think I have lifted long enough to know if I'm gaining fat in a certain area or not. I understand that some of the weight that I gain is fat and it's located in midsection. I'm currently 74-76 kg and first time I was this heavy (3 years ago) my belly doesn't that large. Another "clue" (if I can say that) is now bracing is becoming naturally. It's like the resting position of the muscle is closer to when it flexes. That's what I'm experience, just want to discuss.
How?

The "vacuum pose" primarily involves the transverse-abdominis -- which is also used in bracing.

I could see it holding your gut in, but I don't see how making it stronger would make your waist skinnier -- if anything if it gets too big, it would cause the same tree-trunk problem.
I don't have any idea about how it can be done...anw, will try to contact a friend - he coaches both bb and pwl in high level - maybe he can show me if I'm bullshiting or not ;)

I think I have lifted long enough to know if I'm gaining fat in a certain area or not. I understand that some of the weight that I gain is fat and it's located in midsection. I'm currently 74-76 kg and first time I was this heavy (3 years ago) my belly doesn't that large.
What were you doing before training wise? I wasn't necessarily saying you're fat - I'm guessing you gained muscle around the midsection (back, front, and sides) if you are training heavier now.
Another "clue" (if I can say that) is now bracing is becoming naturally. It's like the resting position of the muscle is closer to when it flexes. That's what I'm experience, just want to discuss.
Yes, muscle tone (tonus/tonicity) is for sure a thing.
I don't have any idea about how it can be done...anw, will try to contact a friend - he coaches both bb and pwl in high level - maybe he can show me if I'm bullshiting or not ;)
Vacuum poses/exercises are an old-school practice - I think there's value in doing them but I'm not sure it's going to actually reduce the size of your gut when relaxed, but maybe. If you practice just sucking in your gut all the time, eventually the tonicity would reset where you "hold" your static position.

No, no such experience at all.

Perhaps if you're used to pushing out against a belt, but belt-less powerlifting will have the opposite effect on most people - certainly has worked that way for me. No science claimed, but think about it - are you bracing _against_ the belt, which means pushing out into it, or are you bracing by resisting your midsection getting bigger when lifting without a belt.

-S-

Do you brace differently with a belt than without one?

To me, the act is the same, and so would be the effects. The only difference being that with the belt you're bracing against something, which enables you to use more force, and thus more intraabdominal pressure. Of course, increased force production would mean relatively increased development of the abdominal muscles, but I'm sure the effect is diminished over time.

I read an article about a female competitive Crossfitter who switched to physique / figure / bikini and the first thing she was told by her physique coach was to stop lifting heavy.

Having a tree-trunk waist was great for heavy loads, not for bikini.
Do you know which one it was? Purely for research. Lol

I think a better question would be,
For a push exercise, all things equal would pushups or 1 arm overhead press be more valuable if you only could do one or the other?

For me there's no doubt the 1-arm kettlebell military press would be more valuable. For years, my personal program minimum was that plus barbell deadlifts. One unilateral and one bilateral; one upper body focused but requiring force transfer through the lower, the other lower body and posterior chain focused but your upper body is, well, holding on the bar so that's weight transfer; one kettlebell and one barbell. If strength and not strength-and-conditioning is the goal, I still think it's an excellent program minimum. For me, the conditioning element was walking.

-S-

I think a better question would be,
For a push exercise, all things equal would pushups or 1 arm overhead press be more valuable if you only could do one or the other?

I’d pick ring push ups if I could only do 1 pressing exercise

I agree with Steve- I feel like the standing 1 arm press is way more valuable then push-ups.
Other things can be done and are more suitable for more endurance related training.
IMO- 1 arm press has more transfer to real life living amd activities

I agree with Steve- I feel like the standing 1 arm press is way more valuable then push-ups.
Other things can be done and are more suitable for more endurance related training.
IMO- 1 arm press has more transfer to real life living amd activities
Does depend on your “real life” though doesn’t it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom