all posts post new thread

Barbell Do you GTG with Deadlifts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The reason being that my main program is S&S. Deadilfts are something to add some limited "limit strength" on top of the S&S endurance qualities. I've also got a bar set to nearly 100lbs for curls and presses. It's just good to do these other moves even if my main program is S&S.
If you want to increase limit strength why not keep SS 3-4 times x week and add 1 or 2 deadlift sessions per week?

Phil Maffetone says yes, you can GTG Deadlifts, with 80%1RM. He advsises against lifting directly in the morning.

I’m not lifting slow—about one rep every second or two—but taking my time between reps, which may be five or ten minutes, or a half hour or more. Occasionally, I’ll go two or more hours between sets depending on the day’s schedule.

My typical slow weight weekly workout includes lifting three or four days (although sometime it’s five or six); each lift is about 80 percent of the maximum weight I can lift one time for that exercise; three to four sets each day (sometimes more); up to five or six repetitions per set; resting between sets is three minutes to an hour or two (or more).
The important part of slow weights is to keep it simple and safe. At the least, you really only need to perform a couple of different lifting routines to sufficiently build muscle and bone strength throughout the body, but you can do more if you want. The two easiest and most effective ones include the dead lift and squat (front, overhead and or back). (...):
  • Reps: 1-6 reps in each set.
  • Sets: 4 (more if time and energy permit).
  • Lifting should be done relatively fast.
  • Recovery between sets should be three minutes (timed), more if desired.
  • All movements should be smooth and natural.
  • As you get stronger, slowly increase the amount of weight, not the repetitions.
  • Three times per week or more.
He has a new book on it which I haven't read.

Last edited:
Phil Maffetone says yes, you can GTG Deadlifts, with 80%1RM. He advsises against lifting directly in the morning.

He has a new book on it which I haven't read.

80% is a lot to train with without warm up. I suspect it gets worse the stronger one is, but I'm not sure it's good for anyone.

Is this done?

Technique Training and Development

Grease The Grove is essentially Technique Training and Development

It increase the load you can push or pull by improving technique by neural development.

Greasing The The Groove

This video quotes Pavel as stating the Strength is a skill. We have to grease the neurological groove.

When you lift a heavy weight
(be it yourself or a barbell), your muscles contract. That contraction begins when your nervous system sends a signal to your muscle fibers. When a movement is performed over and over again, and the muscle fibers repeatedly receive an identical signal, a more efficient neuromuscular motor pattern develops.

Focus on perfection.

Greasing the groove is how we practice the skill of strength, and as we know, practice doesn’t make perfect — perfect practice does.

How To Develop Technique

Basically to perform at a competition level, you have to train at that level or close to it.

When it come to Strength Sports such as Olympic Lifting or Powerlifting, Technique and the Nervous System are optimally developed with loads that are near your 1 Repetition Max.

Optimal Technique Training Loads

Loads of approximately 85% plus of a 1 Repetition Max are the most effective for developing Technique and the Neural System.

Load of around 70% are effective but to a lesser degree.

Baseball Analogy

As I have noted before, practicing hitting a 60 mph baseball make you good at hitting a 60 mph baseball.

It does little for helping you hit a 90 mph fast ball.

The idea would be,,, to maintain some kind of "Deadlift" strength

Auxiliary Exercises

The key to maintaining and/or increasing strength in something like a Deadlift is performing Auxiliary Exercise that are similar in nature to the movement such as: Good Mornings, Hip/Back Extensions, Stiff Leg Deadlift (slight break in the knees), etc.

Summery

1) Grease The Grove

This falls into the category of Technique Training and improving the Neural System.

2) Technique Development

It is optimally trained with load of 85% plus of a 1 Repetition Max for single repetitions; "Focus on perfection".

3) Auxiliary Exercise

The key to increasing strength in a movement is with Auxiliary Exercise that are similar in nature to the lift.

Last edited:
While not a strictly GtG approach, years ago David Whitley published a DL singles program on the DD site. My son used it and got very good results in the TBDL. It is called "Deadlift Singles Success Story". Since it's singles only and you DL five days per week I think it would work well in lieu of GtG. The program calls for 30-45 second between reps but we found EMOM is just easier.

Well, if were to combine @kennycro@@aol.com s post info with GTG and the specificity principle of neural adaptation, I think we run into a large problem.

GTG implies frequent practice as in close to 10 sessions a day at about 50 % I believe and according to this data in order for it to transfer to a heavy DL, it must be 85% of a 1rm... this just doesn’t seem feasible.

You said you’d load up a “measly” 300 something pounds and just DL throughout the day? Unless you’re deadlifting 6 plates plus, I don’t really see this being maintainable unless it’s like once a day...which is pretty much PTTP. GTG implies training throughout the day, not once a day.

Alas, I believe you can GTG with deadlifts but I think around 60-70% is better. You could probably get away with less honestly. In PTTP PRO, Pavel touches on this quite a bit. The practice is better for grinders as explosive lifters will certainly burn out their adrenals quickly. If you were to do this, the amplitude, speed, movement pattern must all resemble a ME lift, ie tight and slow. This is the only I believe GTG should be done with deadlifts.

While not a strictly GtG approach, years ago David Whitley published a DL singles program on the DD site. My son used it and got very good results in the TBDL. It is called "Deadlift Singles Success Story". Since it's singles only and you DL five days per week I think it would work well in lieu of GtG. The program calls for 30-45 second between reps but we found EMOM is just easier.
Btw, I think it is the same as Vodka and Pickles, but with more sessions per week. And also featured in Easy Strength (old Westside template).

GTG implies frequent practice as in close to 10 sessions a day at about 50 % I believe and according to this data in order for it to transfer to a heavy DL, it must be 85% of a 1rm... this just doesn’t seem feasible.
I don't know, I guess it depends on your genetics and your general training. Just have a look at the minimal volume in the Quick and the Deadlift: Q&D + Minimalist Deadlifts | StrongFirst

1-2 DL sessions per week, with 3-5 singles...

Ah, I am sorry, I misread your post. It's been a long day. Anyway, GTG is 50% of max reps per set, not of 1RM.

I just wanted to highlight that minimal volume can apparently work in the right circumstances.

The deadlift works very well with minimal volume.

But I would say that GTG is about maximal volume.

Btw, I think it is the same as Vodka and Pickles, but with more sessions per week. And also featured in Easy Strength (old Westside template).
Makes sense because Whitley said Pavel gave him the program. My son was a novice so we modified the program by removing the deload weeks and adding only 4 lbs on the bar each week. At the end of 8 weeks that added up to 408 singles and a 30% 1RM bump. As a novice just about any decent 8-week program may have given him such results.

It's not GtG but you are doing 51 reps each week. If your goal is to dial in the deadlift pattern it's a tiny time investment each day.

Ah, I am sorry, I misread your post. It's been a long day. Anyway, GTG is 50% of max reps per set, not of 1RM.

I just wanted to highlight that minimal volume can apparently work in the right circumstances.
Ahh yes. I see. It’s been a long year!!! And I do agree with your conclusion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom