all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Do you like to go to dark places?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Chinese martial arts have a saying: "Skill builds courage". Enjoy the practice, follow @aciampa 's wise advice, and there will be no dark places.

First time poster on the new forum.... Hello everyone :)

Great discussion even if I'm late to the party!

I like to go to dark places daily. I do this by meditating.

Sometimes fasting for 12-16 hours or more or doing a water only long (hrs) cardio session at low intensity.

For me meditating is just as challenging (- if not more so) as a 1RM attempt or running a marathon because it can be very uncomfortable -and you CHOOSE to persist with it.

More than the other two practices (fasting and water only, longer easy cardio) I know that the discipline of meditating allows me to confront inner challenges with only benefits to my health, fitness and no over-training effects as a consequence (i.e. extra stress)

Ironically it may even prevent me over-training by forcing a 'face to face sit down' with the ego that drives that 'idea'.....

Pete

As I have become older I have developed a better understanding of the value of getting comfortable being uncomfortable. Geoff Thompson writes quite a bit about this idea and how personal growth can be harnessed through tapping into areas of life that you find difficult. For me, trying to acquire the basics of bjj and leaving my ego at the door is a big challenge. Any sort of uphill cycling on a bike for 2/3 hours will also do the trick.
Very interesting thread

Geoff Thompson +1

Outstanding guy! - have you watched the 'London Real' 2hr interview with him??

As I have become older I have developed a better understanding of the value of getting comfortable being uncomfortable. Geoff Thompson writes quite a bit about this idea and how personal growth can be harnessed through tapping into areas of life that you find difficult. For me, trying to acquire the basics of bjj and leaving my ego at the door is a big challenge. Any sort of uphill cycling on a bike for 2/3 hours will also do the trick.
Very interesting thread

Yes Kiwipete I've watched it a few times. I put him in that Pavel, Dan J, MattThornton category whereby once you read his books and listen to him you know that you will see things differently from that point on. He is fascinating...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom