all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Do you remember your first time?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
My first time with stones ended up with my forearms covered in bruises for a few weeks.

They are a lot of fun... But sandbags and log are what have my attention right now.
I could kick myself. I had some awesome logs that I could have worked into something but I burned them. I've got a nice keg that I'll throw into the mix too.

I like the natural stones much better than the atlas stone though. I think I'd get bored with the atlas stone after a bit. With the natural stones I can always find something heavier and with a different shape. But, right now I have all that I can handle.

Forty seven years ago- I was 18- I made friends with a granite stone. It could roughly weigh 30 kg. I cleaned it to my right and left shoulders. I once did 300 reps to each shoulder (600 total).
I trained with this stone for many months. I did push ups and ran for 30 minutes to one hour after that.
This training helped me when I had to work in the docks as a stevedore.
I remember how beaten my hands were the first time. Burning deep to the bone.
I also knew that I had fallen in love with this type of training.

I was bumming around in Cali and the southwest in my mid teens. Sometimes with my grandparents, sometimes by myself.

One afternoon in the early 90’s I was at Big Sur and along the shoreline were a bunch of rocks. They looked like river stones, smooth and roundish. Only instead of being something small you’d hold in your hand and try to toss and skip along a lake surface, they were like 2-4 feet across, about 6-12 inches thick.

I spent the better part of two hours stacking as many “towers” as high as I could along a 200 yard stretch. I have no idea what happened to them. I still like to think they are there, but I’m sure not.

Juvenile humor at its best. Probably second only to when in my 20’s after a night of billiards, I fed the jukebox about $8 in leftover quarters and queued up a replay of “The End” by the Doors as we headed out the door. I’m sure they pulled the plug by the 2nd time it played…

Well I worked construction most of my life and I often used to have to pick up broken concrete and asphalt and throw into the back of a dump truck. I used to try and throw the biggest chunk I could, and I often wish I listened to the older guys and used a backhoe to do it instead lol

Back
Top Bottom