all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Does anyone have any programs for strength and hypertrophy that use rep maxes instead of %RM

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Madboi

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm aiming for strength and hypertrophy and I lift rocks and do bodyweight exercises. Does anyone know any programs that bring strength and hypertrophy. Please state the rest periods clearly and exactly instead of saying compressed rest periods and saying long rest periods.

@Madboi, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

There are plenty of online 1RM calculators that will help you with math related to this - I like the one at exrx.net. It's not a program so it's not what you asked for but, in the world of strength, these are useful numbers to have, and increasing your 5RM or even your 8RM will mean you're stronger and you don't have to go for a 1RM if you don't want to. (But you should, at least a couple of times a year - but that's another conversation.)

-S-

I'm aiming for strength and hypertrophy and I lift rocks and do bodyweight exercises. Does anyone know any programs that bring strength and hypertrophy. Please state the rest periods clearly and exactly instead of saying compressed rest periods and saying long rest periods.
In addition to the excellent ideas by @3letterslong I would suggest to have a look at this plan:

And if you want to get serious about stone lifting, check out this course by John Odden (SFG II, SFB, 3 World Records at Highland Games):

@Madboi, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

There are plenty of online 1RM calculators that will help you with math related to this - I like the one at exrx.net. It's not a program so it's not what you asked for but, in the world of strength, these are useful numbers to have, and increasing your 5RM or even your 8RM will mean you're stronger and you don't have to go for a 1RM if you don't want to. (But you should, at least a couple of times a year - but that's another conversation.)

-S-
I lift rocks and do bodyweight exercises

I mean like a program that says do 5 reps with a 7RM rock or bodyweight exercise. - >just saying, idk if that will acc work or not
Sure, that is very reasonable.

At StrongFrist the general idea of most plans is to do 30-70% per set of your rep max, mostly working with exercise variations that are probably between 5-12RM, resting 3-5 minutes between sets. You avoid going to failure at let volume and time do the work for you. Focus on quality reps. Finish you sessions feeling stronger, rather than exhausted. Stop you set or even your session, when your rep speed slows down.

PS: Btw, welcome.

Find someone to write you a Built Strong program. It's similar to Plan Strong but with a hypertrophy angle.

I'm aiming for strength and hypertrophy and I lift rocks and do bodyweight exercises. Does anyone know any programs that bring strength and hypertrophy.
Rock Lifting and Body Weight Training

I'm not quite sure how to program Strength and Hypertrophy Training with these methods.

With that in mind, here is some information on various methods

Tradtional Block Periodization Training

This means focusing only one method at a time.

Examples

1) Hypertrophy Training Block

This means performing Hypertrophy Training only for a number or weeks.

The Hypertrophy Training Protocol involves

a) Moderate to High Repetition (8 plus per set).

b) Low to Moderate Resistance Loads,

With Traditional Weight Training that would mean performing sets with 60 to 80% of 1 Repetion Max.

c) Short Rest Periods

Rest Periods between Set of around 60 Seconds.

This method could be applied to Body Weight Exercises.

The Downside of A Hypertrophy Training Block

Muscle Mass is increased at the expense of a decrease in Limit Strength, Power and Speed.

2) Limit Strength Training Block

This mean performing Limit Strength Trainining only for a number of weeks; after the Hypertrophy Training Block.

The Maximum Strength Training Protocol involves

a) High Resistance Load

With Traditional Weight Resistnace Training Exercises that would mean using Load of 85% plus of 1 Repetition Max.

b) Low Repetitions

Repetition of 1-5 per set.

c) Long Rest Periods

Rest Periods between sets of 3 minutes or longer.

Maximum Strength Training would need to use Heavier Load, lifting Heavy Rocks.

It hard to comment more on that without more detail.

The Downside of Maximum Strength Training

Maximum Strength is increased at the expense of Hypertrophy.

Initially, Maximim Strength Training will increase Power and Speed.

However, at some point, NMaximum Strength Only decreases Power and Speed.

Conjugage Training

This means combining Maximum Strength Training with Hypertrophy into the same Training Program.

1) Strength Training Day

One day of the week is set aside of Maximum Strength Training.,

2) One day of the week is set aside for Hypertrop;hy Training.

Conjugate Training enables individual increase Maximum Strength and Hypertrophy in the same Training Cycle.

From 0 to 100: Know Your Percentages!

This is a good aritlce that will help you gain more knowledge in this area.

I lift rocks and do bodyweight exercises

You will have to do the specific programming on your own, but I had very good luck using modified Cluster Set when training with relatively static loads. In fact is possibly the best all around way to approach the issue in my opinion. Sub out rep counts for RPE where applicable.

This is cut&paste description of how I used it for sandbag training:
————

Generally all my basic programs are constructed around primary push, pull, hinge, squat with accessory exercises as compliment. In most cases this equals 8 exercises (4 primary, 4 accessory) with a few additional abdominal, bicep, tricep thrown in at the end. I alternate primary and accessory by classification.This gives every primary lift pattern a break every other session, while maintaining consistent volume to some of the prime moving muscles. This strategy works well with every resistance training mode out there. The selection of specific exercises can be swapped out periodically but should be readily identifiable by classification or otherwise accounted for in the daily volume. Sandbag Cluster routine:

Day 1 - Good Mornings (primary hinge) - High Pull/Upright row (accessory pull) - Sissy Squat/Hack Squat (accessory squat) - Back loaded pushups (primary push) - Hammer curls - Crunches

Day 2 depending on goals, chose one from: HIIT, agility footwork, bootcamp, power with 30-60% repmax loading, heavybag rounds, etc

Day 3 - Skater Squat (primary squat) - overhead press (accessory push) - Hamstring extension/curl (accessory hinge) - One Arm Row (primary pull) - Triceps extension - Leg raises

Day 4, repeat day 2

Day 5, repeat day 1. Following week pick back up with Day 3 line-up on Monday.

Torn meniscus and flare up of heel spur nixed my conditioning days, so in practice was only training 3 days per week this last block and my only "cardio" was a few minutes of burpees as a warmup..

How it works:

1st set - 12-15 rep warmup with 20 repmax load

2nd set perform reps with fastest possible intent using 4-8 repmax load, stop on the rep you notice speed decreasing even a little. This is often about 1/2 of the repmax. That rep count is what you'll be using today (autoregulation). Cluster Set as I used it for the 2nd set is two repeats at 30 second intervals using that rep value. Eg 3 reps, drop the weight, 30 seconds rest, 3 reps. Every rep should be done with fastest possible concentric and a fairly quick eccentric.

3rd set, run the number of clusters to technical failure - in this application "failure" means you cannot get another 3 (2,3,4 whatever). Do not start a cluster you aren't 90% certain you can finish. It might only be 3 repeats, you might get 5. It is unlikely you will ever get more than 5.If limitations in loading mean you have to use lighter weight this approach will still work but the volume will accumulate very quickly.

If you have the luxury of easy load changing, make that middle set your heaviest - 2 repeats of 2 reps of your 4 rep max, make the last set a little more metabolic, 4-5 reps of your 8 or 10 rep max.

In the absence of a timer, use a clock to time your breathing ahead of time (for me 6 inhale/exhales = 30 seconds once I start to become fatigued) and just count breaths between repeats.

For progression, prioritize increasing movement speed over increasing load. Your primary goal is to use movement speed and loading to increase tension on the muscle. Try to work with loads heavier than your 12 rep max, even loads as heavy as your 2 repmax (Clusters of 1 rep) can be used as long as you can get 3 repeats. At only 2 repeats, make it your middle set, not the last one, which should have a solid metabolic stress load.

As mentioned, you can use higher rep counts but beware, volume accumulates very quickly using this approach. Once you reliably hit 6 reps before the load slows, it is time to increase weight. Don't think of it as moving more weight or "heavy" lifting, think of it as increasing tension.

Last edited:
You will have to do the specific programming on your own, but I had very good luck using modified Cluster Set when training with relatively static loads. In fact is possibly the best all around way to approach the issue in my opinion. Sub out rep counts for RPE where applicable.

This is cut&paste description of how I used it for sandbag training:
————

Have you ever thought about writing a training ebook based on your posts? I would scoop one up in a heartbeat. Your info on hypertrophy and isometrics is gold and I haven't seen anyone else talking about the details you include.

Have you ever thought about writing a training ebook based on your posts? I would scoop one up in a heartbeat. Your info on hypertrophy and isometrics is gold and I haven't seen anyone else talking about the details you include.

I am def considering a pamphlet on isometrics. When I started getting into it I assumed all roads would lead to Rome, quickly discovered there was a lot of assumption and precious little hard fact on the open side of a paywall. Good chance if I do put something together it would be free of charge.

Thank you very much for the encouragement!

I am def considering a pamphlet on isometrics. When I started getting into it I assumed all roads would lead to Rome, quickly discovered there was a lot of assumption and precious little hard fact on the open side of a paywall. Good chance if I do put something together it would be free of charge.

Thank you very much for the encouragement!
While I agree your content has been great, I think the videos seem to help me much more as this type of training is so different it's really hard to understand from just written words (for me). At the least, I would need photos and lots of them! Even if you charge, I'd be willing to pay for the work you put in to create it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom