all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Does GTG have any muscle-building potential?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry Westgate

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi everyone,

As per the title, does GTG have any potential to build muscle?

The reason I ask is because I read somewhere (possibly Men's Fitness?) that actor Tom Hardy bulked up for his lead role in the movie 'Bronson' (if you haven't seen it, it's a great film), using a training method that his trainer referred to as 'signalling', which in summary, is a case of spacing out reps throughout the day (in other words, GTG). I believe I read that Hardy used pushups as one of the main exercises, doing sub-max sets throughout the day, leading to hundreds of daily reps.

Obviously, I'm aware that celebrity trainers are rarely likely to give out the 'secrets' to building muscle, attaining a certain physique, etc. for free, but does a method like this sound like it would build muscle? Given what I know from my own experience and The Naked Warrior, I'm inclined to think that it probably wouldn't... But then, if we're talking sets of ~20+ pushups spread throughout the day, maybe that would do more for muscle growth than sub-maximal sets of very low reps?

Just thought it'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts! :)

P.S. Hardy has also said on camera that he ate a lot for the role (naturally), in order to gain both muscle and fat.

Hey Harry, a few years ago I spent a summer doing G-T-G for pull-ups and at the end I noticed growth in my lats and when I went to put on my suit coat it was a lot tighter through the shoulders and upper back. But, what I did was instead of adding reps, I increased the resistance with additional weight. Not sure if you would experience much gain in size with sets of 20+, at that point you're building endurance.

Chad Waterbury did a crazy pull up challenge where he did 13k pull ups in 5 months in GTG style sets and said that he built muscle with sub maximal sets and as soon as he went to failure his back hypertrophy stalled.
Also there is probably some hollywood marketing involved - people are more likely to try this trainer's "signalling" protocol rather than hearing traditional advice like "lift heavy and eat big"

Harry there is no doubt that the trainers know how to pack on the muscle to their clients, I also do not doubt for a single second that many actors use roids or HGH. There is no way those guys put on 20 lbs. of muscle eating eggs and chicken for 6 months.

unfortunately, mrdave100 is right, imo. Harry, do you really think these Hollywood trainers have "secrets" that are better than what you can get here at StrongFirst? I doubt it. These actors and their trainers usually remind me of the fashion models that lead many young women to body issues...when people compare themselves to standards that may have been achieved by "unhealthy" means and then wonder how they can do it or why they can't, they sometimes feel bad about themselves. As pro sports have taught us, many people will risk their health to get a huge paycheck, and not all of them are good role models. Everyone should try hard to be the best they can, then bask in self-acceptance.

I'm not sure whether or not gtg would build any muscle directly however I believe it will improve your potential to build muscle when moving to a more hyper trophy based program.
If gtg allows you to do more weight or reps in a certain exercise, this can only be beneficial when moving to a hypertrophy based program.

Just my two cents anyway

do you really think these Hollywood trainers have "secrets" that are better than what you can get here at StrongFirst? I doubt it

Also consider the role of lighting, make up, cinematography and post production.....and body doubles....and other Hollywood big screen secrets.....

Hello,

I would not say that GTG itself has a muscle building potential. When I say that, I mean that your volume, weight and muscle mass will not increase. At least, it was the case for me. I think that GTG will teach you to put extreme tension in your muscle. You will use the whole potential of your muscle, but not will build them.

Nevertheless, it is a good base to begin a mass building program.

Kind regards,

Pet'

unfortunately, mrdave100 is right, imo. Harry, do you really think these Hollywood trainers have "secrets" that are better than what you can get here at StrongFirst? I doubt it.

Steroids is the not so secret, secret of the movie industry.

How do you think Huge Jackman got so big so fast for Wolverine, and Bradley Cooper for American Sniper? It is a well known fact that steroid use in Hollywood is common.

It could builid muscle - if volume is right - for example doing 100-150 reps a week of pull ups if you got enough calories could builid some muscle

Hello,

Taedoju underlines an important thing.

You can build muscle, without (or very few) volume and without eating more, thanks to body tension (e.g front planche position in yoga).

It is the same for the pull ups example. At the begining, you will build both volume and muscle. But training after training, you will build less volume and muscle until you reach a plateau. To pass it, you have to eat more...at least from my experience.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom