all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Does Naked Warrior Have Standards Like ROP or S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boosh32

Level 6 Valued Member
Are there task standards in Naked Warrior practice? I have searched this forum and read all of the thread titles. I did not find a standard.

Quick background. I am currently in the S&S program and upon achieving the Simple standard choosing a new goal. My overall goal is GPP.

Being able to perform a single one-arm pushup and a single pistol - those are the standards.

The NW book does give suggestions on making these exercises more difficult if you wish, e.g., if memory serves, elevating your feet for the pushup, switching legs explosively from the bottom position of the pistol, and adding weight to the pistol.

IMO, it's a fine idea to reach Simple than go after the NW program - where are you with your pushups and pistols?

-S-

@Steve Freides

Thanks for information. A single one-arm pushup and a single pistol performed properly would be an accomplishment. Adding the various difficulties would make for an advanced standard. I bought the Kindle versions of S&S and ETK as shipping here costs more than the books. I have a transporter in the US now and bought hard copies of NW, SJ, RIS, S&S, and ETK that are already packed for the return trip.

I will complete the S&S Simple standard before doing NW as a program. I haven't done any pistols and no pushups since I retired from the Army. I am have a knee replacement the end of November and it will be about 90 days before I am cleared for kettlebells. This downtime can be used for NW as long as I don't involve the knee. This looks like a good time to learn pistols.

@Boosh32, the pistol definitely involves your knee - it's a one legged squat and squats use your knees. The pushup might be OK for you, as long as locking out your knees is OK.

There are other bw-only things you can work on, too - pullups, headstands, handstands, and handstand pushups.

-S-

Yeah of course.
Naked Simple:
1) 1 One-arm Push-up per side.
2) 1 Pistol Squat per side with a 2 second hold at the bottom (to make sure you can actually hold the bottom).

Achievable in roughly 2-3 months

Naked Sinister:
1) 1 One-arm One-leg Push-up with foot raised to shoulder height per side.
2) 1 Pistol Squat with 75% Bodyweight added per side.

Achievable in roughly 6 months to a year

100% arbitrary, but it sounds about right and some fun standards, I don't know.

Are there task standards in Naked Warrior practice? I have searched this forum and read all of the thread titles. I did not find a standard.

Quick background. I am currently in the S&S program and upon achieving the Simple standard choosing a new goal. My overall goal is GPP.
Aha! I had to switch from Simple to NW for 2 months this summer because I was away from home on business and holiday. NW is awesome. You can take it anywhere. Note that the book recommends doing pullups and ideally finding something to do deadlifts with too if at all possible, but the heart of the programme is the OAPU and the pistol.

In my opinion, having tried out both programmes for months at a time, S&S is simply better. NW is a backup plan for when your kettlebells are not around. I haven't done NW for 2 months after switching back to S&S in early September, and I tried out my NW moves today. My pistol and OAPUs are much better, smoother, easier to do now than they were when I was only training NW in the summertime. This is the "what the hell" effect of the kettlebell swings and the TGUs.

However, that's not the point. NW is super cool, and no two good Strongfirst programmes seem like they can be compared as "better" or "worse". Still, I think S&S is better in my own private opinion as it covers more major muscle groups, and it involves improving grip strength which NW does not and cannot (without the pullups of course), as well as improving lower back strength, which again NW can't do much about (unless you find something to do deadlifts with).

Heck though, NW plus pullups - that's what I did this summer, and I sure stayed in great shape!

Yeah of course.
Naked Simple:
1) 1 One-arm Push-up per side.
2) 1 Pistol Squat per side with a 2 second hold at the bottom (to make sure you can actually hold the bottom).

Achievable in roughly 2-3 months

Naked Sinister:
1) 1 One-arm One-leg Push-up with foot raised to shoulder height per side.
2) 1 Pistol Squat with 75% Bodyweight added per side.

Achievable in roughly 6 months to a year

100% arbitrary, but it sounds about right and some fun standards, I don't know.

Challenge accepted.

However... I really need to find something shoulder height to put my foot on for the OAOLPU...

As for the 75%BW pistol; it will require me to stand up with 48-52kg depending on where my weight fluctuates to when the time comes... Damn.

I'll see how close I can get to achieving 'Naked Sinister' before finishing my final year of university (June 2017).

P.S. *RAMBLE ALERT* This'll be a new focus of mine having decided to put S&S on the back burner for the time being (still going for two sessions a week mind), as I have achieved the 'Simple' standard for the get-ups, however, someone on the Forum said somewhere that once you start doing more get-ups with the 32kg, you will put on some muscle whether you want it or not. I have found this to be very very true, as I've got a good few kilos to shed before I start fighting (boxing) again and it doesn't seem to want to budge, despite following exactly the same dietary regimen that I followed a year ago at a much lower weight :(... I therefore 'blame' the heavy get-ups. As such, I've shifted my focus back to neurological strength with BW drills in order to get back to my more wiry self, with more running/aerobic exercise for conditioning. So thank you @305pelusa for giving me some standards to chase while I have to be conscious of my waistline...

Challenge accepted.

However... I really need to find something shoulder height to put my foot on for the OAOLPU...

As for the 75%BW pistol; it will require me to stand up with 48-52kg depending on where my weight fluctuates to when the time comes... Damn.

Alternatively, the OA Divebomber is also pretty Sinister. But I think it's probably a bit too hard as a standard. A while back I put in some effort to work up to one and got it, but didn't really train it anymore. Here's the thread too (another username):
One Arm Divebomber Push-up

I don't think the 75% BW Pistol is as bad as you might initially think, at least personally speaking. Back in July, I was 130 lbs (60 kgs) and could Pistol 60 lbs max (25 kgs). I started running the barebones PTTP linear cycles (they each last about 3 weeks... I've deloaded and ran about 4 of those cycles now) and I can currently Pistol 100 lbs (45 kgs). That's a little higher than 75% of my BW, and I don't think I've had to work particularly hard, or for too long for it. Just consistently really.

If the Sinister BW goal is something that most would achieve in 6-12 months, I think 75% BW is a fair and ambitious standard.

Full bodyweight though, that's the stuff of legends. It's probably not too bad for someone as light as myself though.

@305pelusa thanks for your thoughts... One question I might add though; when it comes to elevating your feet/foot for the OAPUs/OAOLPUs, would you say it is necessary when approaching the bottom position to kind of curve your back in order to touch your chest to the floor? Or is it better practice to stay straight and touch your forehead to the ground when you start elevating your feet higher and higher...? I don't recall this being mentioned in NW, and is something I ought to clarify if I am to chase the goal of elevating as high as shoulder height...

@305pelusa thanks for your thoughts... One question I might add though; when it comes to elevating your feet/foot for the OAPUs/OAOLPUs, would you say it is necessary when approaching the bottom position to kind of curve your back in order to touch your chest to the floor? Or is it better practice to stay straight and touch your forehead to the ground when you start elevating your feet higher and higher...? I don't recall this being mentioned in NW, and is something I ought to clarify if I am to chase the goal of elevating as high as shoulder height...

Ideally, you get some kind of sturdy box, maybe a thick book, or a set of P-bars, so that you can elevate your hand a bit and achieve full ROM. If for whatever reason you don't have any way of doing so, then you'll have to pull your head back a bit in order to get your chest as close to the floor.

Hmmm... I thought that the Naked Warrior programme focussed on doing the one armed pushup for training, and the one armed one legged pushup as the elite thing. Can anyone here pump out several sets of several reps of OAOL pushups? I got to the point of doing a set of 12 one armed pushups and being able to do one side at a time of the one armed one legged pushups. Balance was my biggest problem, although I doubt I could do more than two in a row anyhow. What a brilliant programme! No equipment needed at all! For pistols I'd tend to go down about 75% of the way and do multiple reps for training.

Hmmm... I thought that the Naked Warrior programme focussed on doing the one armed pushup for training, and the one armed one legged pushup as the elite thing.
Maybe it's just me but I don't find the one-leg version to be that much harder. A well-done OAPU, trying to minimize how much you bend to the side has most of the weight on the arm and the opposite leg. In fact, sometimes my leg even floats up during the middle of a rep without me trying to. A OAPU with feet shoulder high, or the One arm Divebomber are much harder IMO.

Maybe it's just me but I don't find the one-leg version to be that much harder. A well-done OAPU, trying to minimize how much you bend to the side has most of the weight on the arm and the opposite leg. In fact, sometimes my leg even floats up during the middle of a rep without me trying to. A OAPU with feet shoulder high, or the One arm Divebomber are much harder IMO.
Good points. I feel the same way - the one leg takes about 90% of the weight and the other is there just for balance. Still, I think the OAOL pushup's main challenge is balance, which is an important physical skill too, as it is with the pistol. It's like everything devised by Strongfirst - blindingly SIMPLE but underneath the simple exterior lies a SINISTER core!

Ah, if I had known any of this stuff 10 years ago when I started my judo competitive circuit, I would have gone a lot farther!

Anyhow, linking balance and strength together - those are the two bases for fighting! Lose your balance and you lose the match! Genius stuff, Strongfirst!

I agree about the OAOLPU not being that much harder; I'd probably say it's harder to keep your feet together. Having said that, try doing a OAOLPU with the airborne leg a couple of inches above the ground, but directly on top of where it would be if you were doing the feet together version (hope that makes sense). I find this combines the balance challenge of the OAOLPU with the core stability challenge of the feet together variety nicely.

I figure there's a reason Pavel chose the feet apart version of the OAOLPU over the feet together version. I'd imagine the raised leg activates certain muscles in the back to stabilize the movement.

Hmm... I must confess I've wondered from day one why Pavel went with the feet apart version. Having the feet closer together does make it harder, so why wouldn't one want to be able to do it that way..?

If you think about the physics, a OAPU with one leg lifted and a OAPU with both feet next to each other is nearly identical. The base of support is still just about a foot worth of length. The only difference is that having your leg lifted diagonally outwards (straddled) allows that weight to counterbalance the weight of the unloaded shoulder. If you place you feet together (or just let it hover over the working foot as Harry mentioned), then you simply have to lean more to the side (snake-like) to preserve balance.

Pavel picked the OAOLPU. Convict Conditioning recommends just doing it feet together. In theory, they have very similar instability requirements, albeit the latter requires more side lean. I've found in practice these movements to be similar in difficulty, but a bit different in execution.

I'm sure when Pavel was writing this book, he recognized there is a slight increase (not as much as, say, a One-arm Divebomber, but still noticeable) in difficulty with the OAOLPU (and hence, it's a variation that comes after the OAPU is learnt). And then realized the feet-together is just the same concept of decreased stability, and probably didn't think it necessary to cover it. Or something along those lines maybe.

@Steve Freides

Thanks for information. A single one-arm pushup and a single pistol performed properly would be an accomplishment. Adding the various difficulties would make for an advanced standard. I bought the Kindle versions of S&S and ETK as shipping here costs more than the books. I have a transporter in the US now and bought hard copies of NW, SJ, RIS, S&S, and ETK that are already packed for the return trip.

I will complete the S&S Simple standard before doing NW as a program. I haven't done any pistols and no pushups since I retired from the Army. I am have a knee replacement the end of November and it will be about 90 days before I am cleared for kettlebells. This downtime can be used for NW as long as I don't involve the knee. This looks like a good time to learn pistols.

After being cleared: I would work progressions to the OAPU and PISTOL and see how your knee can handle them. I would be happy to help get you started if you are not sure which progressions would be best. BW is simple but not easy and could still lead to injury or set back if approach advances you too quickly.
Wishing you a quick recovery and much success in your road back to full strength.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom