all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Does Pavel still agree that "if you can safely do dips, you do not need any other presses"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NonStop

Level 5 Valued Member
I found a really interesting comment from Pavel on this thread; Dips v pushups

He said; "if you can safely do dips, you do not need any other presses. Just add weight.

Still do some get-ups for shoulder health."

I would love to know if Pavel still agrees with this. I ask as its something I would consider, but I know for a fact I know my girlfriend would love to do dips as her only press, with get-ups as a warm-up.

Thank you!

I can't speak for Pavel, but I can't see why his attitude would change. The dip is just a big push that balances out a big pull. In some ways it's a yin/yang approach.

I don't think that statement was meant to be construed as " The dip is the best pushing exercise" I think it all depends on your goals and what you have at your disposal.

If you have healthy shoulders and you are stronger than average the dip will serve you well, if you have shoulder issues or just aren't as blessed with strength in that range of motion, push ups or bench presses could serve you better.

Dips are easier for some than for others. If they are not another cool option is feet elevated Pike Push ups.

Cheers for the replies people, I would think he would stand behind it but would be interesting to see!

Parallel bar dips are my favourite press assistance exercise. There is no better tricep builder for me.

I also love Serratus Shrugs. A very powerful postural exercise. Try super setting them with KB Shrugs. I usually do them on deadlift, and overhead day.

Just finished Kelso's shrug book. @Geoff Chafe, I assume you have read the book as well? The book is a little confusing. When you say, Serratus Shrugs, are you referring to the bench shrug or from dips?

@Wesker11 I have not read that book. I am referring to dip shrugs on parallel bars, or rings. I do all forms of shrugs weighted, and bodyweight. Scapular stability, and postural strength are priorities of mine, and a powerful looking upper back and traps are a bonus.

Hanging shrugs, handstand shrugs, scap push-ups, swan pulls, dip shrugs, and standing or seated shrugs.

Pavel recommends the book in Beyond Bodybuilding. It was a pretty good read and I am looking forward to incorporating some of these movements in my training. Especially the Serratus Shrugs and Kelso Shrugs. Unfortunately, I've committed myself to a couple programs, one being Pavel's Suped up Delorme Method, and won't be able to try them for at least 5 months. :(

Sorry to hijack thread.

Hello,

I improved my military press only by doing dips. Then, different strategies are possible:

You can do maximum reps of bodyweight dips with a full range of motion, at a normal or a slow rythm. When you feel you cannot make another one, you rest 25s. Then, you repeat that 5 times.

You can add difficulty by doing your dips on rings. That way you also will work your core and shouder stabilization.

With this method, you gain both strength and endurance. For instance, I gained 3 presses reps (from 4 to 7 @ 24kg) in a few weeks (training my dips 2 - 3 days a week), without doing military press.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' The easiest way to a stronger press is stronger triceps. Dips are one of the best tricep strengtheners along with close grip bench press.

I did a cycle of nothing but dips, pullups, and running. Was using 20kg from a belt and my chest at the time had the most mass it ever has. I don't remember feeling that way about my triceps but I imagine they were also.

Hello,

I think triceps is about 2/3 of the arm volume. So yes indeed working them is the best way to improve your press.

What frame (sets / reps) did you use with the 20kg weight ?

Kind regards,

Pet

One of the interesting variations that Pavel taught in the past were "dead dips" (my term) - in the bottom position, your legs actually stand on the floor, so you do not shrug your shoulders and do not get lower than needed.

And btw. one of Pavel's recent testing program incorporates dips (do not ask - classified info!).

Long time ago, so at the time I was probably doing 3x 8-12, increasing the weight when I would get to 3x12.

I used to do dips as a major exercise when I was a youth. I felt that dips, chinups and running was all I needed at the time. Dips are heavier than pushups. Still, I can't imagine dips being "better" overall than the warrior pushups because of the angle of your force. Pushing straight down towards your legs might be good for musculature but I don't think we do a lot of that in real life. Pushing forward or upwards is probably more practical.

Hello,

slow dips are equally a good option (10s down and 10s up). They work shoulder mobility if you do them in full ROM.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Weighted dips and pullups are my main exercises. I never had any issues with parallel bars or ring dips, but it's only a year since I train them regularly. I'm worried that many people say that dips are dangerous in log term, some even say that dips destroyed their shoulders. Is it a matter or genetics - for some people they are bad, for some not? And if you don't have shoulder issues, than dips, done with good form, will not ruin your shoulders?

What is good form for dips? Shoulder blades and elbows back, don't go to low (not below parallel?), pike at the hips, slightly lean forward?

Weighted dips and pullups are my main exercises. I never had any issues with parallel bars or ring dips, but it's only a year since I train them regularly. I'm worried that many people say that dips are dangerous in log term, some even say that dips destroyed their shoulders. Is it a matter or genetics - for some people they are bad, for some not? And if you don't have shoulder issues, than dips, done with good form, will not ruin your shoulders?

What is good form for dips? Shoulder blades and elbows back, don't go to low (not below parallel?), pike at the hips, slightly lean forward?

People say that everything is dangerous! I use press and chins on a regular basis and its great1 used to do the bench and military press, but kettlebell and bodyweight exercises are great (for me)

I can't edit the text, but its supposed to say dips and chins, not press and chins.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom