all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Does Pavel still agree that "if you can safely do dips, you do not need any other presses"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Lifting weights is dangerous. Everything is dangerous. Best be careful at all times!

People say that everything is dangerous! I use press and chins on a regular basis and its great1 used to do the bench and military press, but kettlebell and bodyweight exercises are great (for me)

Yeah, squats are bad for the knees, and deadlifts are bad for the low back.

The swing can smash thorough your walls and the Turkish Getup can brain you.

Not exercising is also dangerous - it leads to heart attacks, strokes, cancer, not to mention ugliness and lethargy.

My typical response to people who tell me that running is bad for your knees is similar - "Not running is bad for your everything else".
Oh! Wow! What an awesome, laconic answer! Reminds me of some of the things Pavel writes in his books.

This has me thinking of the training climate in Sweden. Often the media reports of the people who train to much. It´s dangerous to workout to often, or run to far or be on a strict diet. This will get you hurt, do more harm than good and cause eating disorder or even lead to orthorexia. Not to mention the guilt it gives to those who don't exercise.

Well, yes if training is used as a tool accelerate an existing disorder like bulimia nervosa it can and should be treated carefully. But in Sweden the problem are not the few individuals who get problems from training, its the vast majority who is sitting all day at a desk, commuters, tv watching etc. The sedentary levels are scary low.
That inactivity leads to more cardiovascular diseases and deaths than a handful of individuals who happened to get a bit manic over weighting their foods or train them self in to bodily fatigue.

/Rant over.

Sorry for off topic, but the anxiety (not aimed at anyone in here) is excessive in this land. Just do stuff, try new things, change it if its not working etc. A wise man once said (on instagram) to devote your training to 40% strength work, 30% movement, like running, biking, kayaking etc, 20% work on weakneses and 10% try new things. :)

Even Pavel says often that dips are not for everyone. Maybe I am too anxious, but I generally listen to more experienced and stronger people than me.

For example, Marcus Bondi (ridiculously strong) says:
all the guys I have known over 30-40 years who went BIG on weighted dips all have shoulder/rotator problems now​
70 kg dips (167-168 cm, 65 kg). Thank you Joshua Naterman • /r/bodyweightfitness
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweight...ips_167168_cm_65_kg_thank_you_joshua/d3xflo7/
"All the guys".. Good, if he says Big he means more than 70kg and I can't do more than 32. My current goal is to achieve 40 kg, slightly above my 1/2 BW and than maintain that and concentrate on another push exercise.

In Beyond Bodybuilding there is a dip variation with feet support, so you can't go beyond parallel. According to Pavel it's safer. Is going beyond 90 degrees bad?

Hello,

If you want to be safe with your move, you can try do do it very slowly (10s up and 10s down). It will create muscle fatigue with a "virtual weight".

When you go slowly, you can safely going down (a bit) beyond parallel.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If safety is the primary concern with the exercise, I'd suggest giving them a go on gymnastics rings instead. In fact, I personally wouldn't recommend dips at all except in this manner.

Keep in mind that the bars have to accommodate the widest user in the gym, which means you're locked into a groove which may not be (and probably isn't) your optimal positioning. On a pair of rings, you'll naturally find your comfort spot. In addition, the constant necessity to maintain stability while you're up there adds another dimension to the exercise--harder AND safer; that's the way to go.

I also have a hunch that by virtue of the apparatus, dipping "below parallel" is much more forgiving on the trainee than doing so on fixed bars.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom