all posts post new thread

Barbell Does Pavel still recommend PTTP advice of never let your eyes leave the ceiling during deadlift?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NonStop

Level 5 Valued Member
As the title says. I've noticed the more effort I make in looking up high, the cleaner my deadlift form. I'm interested in seeing if Pavel and others still recommend such advice, especially after reading the heads up article, which seemed to recommend looking ahead.

I've heard Pavel say there are many successful techniques. What has worked before still works. Pick a style and stick with it if it works for you. (paraphrasing)

Depending on how much extension you get in your neck, some might say not to do it for long term resilience, but that was true when the advice was first given.

I just looked at the SFL course manual, and they recommend looking at a spot on the floor 6-10 feet away, or as high as the horizon/straight ahead. It makes no mention of looking up at the ceiling, but says there should be mild neck extension and not hyperextension.

Last edited:
I've heard Pavel say there are many successful techniques. What has worked before still works. Pick a style and stick with it if it works for you. (paraphrasing)

Makes sense.

Depending on how much extension you get in your neck, some might say not to do it for long term resilience, but that was true when the advice was first given.

I don't think there is anything in PTTP advising not to look at the ceiling, nor anything arguing that it shouldn't be done all the time.

I just looked at the SFL course manual, and they recommend looking at a spot on the floor 6-10 feet away, or as high as the horizon/straight ahead. It makes no mention of looking up at the ceiling, but says there should be mild neck extension and not hyperextension.

Interesting! Is that advice for all hip hinges, or deadlifts in particular? Thank you for the information.

The "many successful techniques" have to do with each individual lifter's strengths and weaknesses on any lift. E.g., my posterior chain is strong - my back is stronger than my legs. In order to break a heavy deadlift off the floor and get it high enough for my posterior chain to really kick in, I have to maintain a neutral neck and, at times in my lifting career, I have looked straight down in order to fire what needs help to make my lift.

-S-

In Beyond Bodybuilding it’s mentioned looking down off the floor, to use more quads, and look up past the knees, to use more posterior. It’s an advanced technique, but interesting.

I prefer a packed neck for most lifts. Think “make a double chin”. If your interested in neck packing I am sure Google would be helpful.

I listened to a podcast where Pavel states he knows some statements on any material (books, videos, whatever...) may have evolved for better since they were published.
And that training is a living animal, with adaptions.

The "many successful techniques" have to do with each individual lifter's strengths and weaknesses on any lift. E.g., my posterior chain is strong - my back is stronger than my legs. In order to break a heavy deadlift off the floor and get it high enough for my posterior chain to really kick in, I have to maintain a neutral neck and, at times in my lifting career, I have looked straight down in order to fire what needs help to make my lift

I see, so different strokes for different folks then.

In Beyond Bodybuilding it’s mentioned looking down off the floor, to use more quads, and look up past the knees, to use more posterior. It’s an advanced technique, but interesting.

I prefer a packed neck for most lifts. Think “make a double chin”. If your interested in neck packing I am sure Google would be helpful.

I've heard of packed neck. Personally chin up feels far more 'right'. But thank you.

There's a video on the SF YouTube channel where Pavel talks about this:

Cheers, I'll look into this.

Fun for me to watch that video. At the point where Pavel talks about some people depending heavily on an abdominal bubble, you can see him acknowledge someone who raised their hand in agreement - 'twas me. This was at the first US SFL.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom