all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Does someone know Dean Pohlman ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

As the title says, does someone know Dean Pohlman's work : "Man Flow Yoga" ?
I am just looking for any kind of opinions and information so this is a very open question

Man Flow Yoga - Yoga for Physical Fitness

Thank you very much !

Pet'
Since I haven't seen anyone else respond, I'll shoot.

I'm not a big fan of yoga if it's not your only pursuit. Yoga is actually a hard discipline that really does require in person instruction to do correctly and reduce chance of injury. Sure, one can take some useful things from yoga but for most people basic stretching and mobility should be enough.

I think yoga is "stretching" it a little bit. You should always ask yourself, "Why do I need to be flexible in this range of motion?" Does one need to be a contortionist or be able to do splits to enhance their movement or their lifting?

I reckon no and it's unhealthy to reach that far.

Hello,

@earenas
I practice French boxing (fists and kicks). So I need to be quite flexible and strong. From what I saw, MFY would permit me to really use strength through an entire range of motion because there is an important focus on mobility.

Plus, I also listenned to the podcast of D. Pohlman with Ben Greenfield and I was really amazed by the level of athleticism he has by doing mainly yoga.

So would MFY give me strength while being mobile ? Would it give me an "additional" conditioning practice ? Is there some impact on body composition ? Does it "transfer" well to a more standard weightlifting or daily life ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,
I practice French boxing (fists and kicks). So I need to be quite flexible and strong.
If you have to choose between being strong or being flexible, choose both. Be Flexible steel.
I don't know about Man flow yoga, so cannot comment on it.
What I know is that Flexible steel is a very good system for a fighter, as it does not sacrifice strength for mobility, and vice-versa.
Also, the book Trembling shock might be of interest for you, as it is specifically written for fighters and martial artists.

If you have to choose between being strong or being flexible, choose both
+1

In addition, these are two complementing qualities of a well rounded individual (and CNS). IMO if has one quality without the other it indicates a problem.

Hello,

I do not know this book (but I know Flexible Steel). What are the differences / similarities ?

If this is not an abuse, could you give me some feedback or review of this book please ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Disclaimer: as a Flexible steel instructor myself, I am biased. One reason I became an instructor, though, is that it is a very good system to complete StrongFirst. As you wrote: strong and flexible.

I have the book back home. I need to have a look this weekend to give a detailed review.
It is oriented on strength and conditioning for martial artists/fighters in their first year of practice, and still a good read for more advanced practitionners (who may have overlooked the physical aspect of the art). About flexibility, Jon leaves it to Flexible steel.

Hello,

@jef
Thank you :)

Can this book be considered as a "stand alone" program or has it to be done alongside with SS (for instance) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom