all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Does this routine even make sense

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

P3mit

Level 4 Valued Member
At home with lots of time to think. Unfortunately just love designing my own(ish) program and really love reading the excellent information and knowledge in the books from Pavel(mainly) and also found in the forum comments.
I am 62 and have played sports all my life and have trained and exercised albeit a little haphazardly for 40 years.
At the moment I really like the idea of GTG and quite basic movements, my plan was to do GTG with pushups and pullups initially to a set pattern but then to introduce some variation,I would also deadlift once every other day for 3 reps again with some waving. Finally I aim to run about 15 minutes each day using MAF, except on 2 days where I would do short (10 second) sprints about 8 with adequate rest between. I would take rest days as I felt necessary probably 1 every 4 or 5 days.
I play competitive tennis and age defined 6 a side soccer and just like to keep fit and be relatively strong.

Regards

If it meets your needs, I think it would work just fine. The only thing “missing” would be some sort of squat movement. Simple and easily adjusted plans are often successful, I see no reason this would not help you maintain a good level of fitness.

I agree with @Bunn. Looks great for what you want it to do. Yes there is no traditional squatting movement. Just make sure you are in a condition to be able to handle a squat especially with playing tennis.

I would add a few sets of bodyweight squats and lunges during/ after you MAF runs.

Thanks for the replies, very true about the squats. Forgot to mention I do goblet squats as part of a Flexible Steel routine but might be worth adding a few more, again probably in the GTG format, just a few short sets throughout the day.

Sounds to me that you've cracked the code.
Lifetime of sport and exercise, competitive tennis, soccer, running, sprinting, some gtg press ups....at 62.
How you finding the time to fit anything else in?
As long as you resist the temptation to take up golf ?....you've got a good thing going.

Sounds to me that you've cracked the code.
Lifetime of sport and exercise, competitive tennis, soccer, running, sprinting, some gtg press ups....at 62.
How you finding the time to fit anything else in?
As long as you resist the temptation to take up golf ?....you've got a good thing going.

Well I guess being retired helps with the time and the fact I can do all of the training at home. GTG is very time efficient as there is no rest time. As for the runs again only 15 mins and the sprints 10 mins with short warm up and rests on the treadmill at present. When able to play, tennis averages 4 hours per week and soccer about 1.5 hours.All in not much more than 2 rounds of golf :)

Reactions: ali
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom