all posts post new thread

Kettlebell doing less than 100 swings??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

malleus

Level 5 Valued Member
Based on this article, my question is:
Energy Systems and the Snatch Test | StrongFirst

Is it possible to switch snatches with the swings and use the same protocol? currently, i am doing S&s four days a week. I use 24 kg kettlebell. I need about 11 minutes to complete all 100 swings. My idea is to start doing less swings so i can pass the talk test and every time to use 5 minutes time frame...What do you think? Do you think it is possible to progress that way faster than to do 100 swings every time? My goal is to achieve simple standards, sooner better than later... thanks

S&S is an exercise in patience. Why the rush? Is there a deadline that you have to meet?

I think it could work -- to more quickly reach a goal of 5 min with the 24kg, that is -- but you would be concentrating on the conditioning aspect of swings rather than the power development. So, you would be shortchanging the more important benefit of S&S swings: technique, power, and recovery. 100 swings daily of following S&S as written will build a better base to go farther with S&S or whatever else you choose to do with your new power and strength, including progressing to the 32kg.

I´ve had good results doing less than 100 swings. At one point I was doing 8 sets of 8 reps with the 24. Actually, 8 sets of 4+4 one hand swings, switching hands in the middle of the set. But I didnt do this to progress faster, but because I was not able to recover from day to day (and grip was a limiter as well). I then progressed to 10 x 8, then 10 x 10.

I think its more in the spirit of S&S to extend the session duration as required (even doing 20 sets of 5), rather than reducing the duration of the swings to 5 minutes.

I have messed around with all manner of different training programmes and modalities over the years and been disappointed frequently with the results and suffered many injuries. A lot of that is down to trying to get quick results, people seem to want everything, NOW, these days, and thinking I knew best and adjusting the programmes. Three things have changed over the past few months: 1. I started S&S to the exclusion of any other training, 2. I trust the process and it’s author as well as some very knowledgable people on this forum 3. I attended a SF Kettlebell course. The results are, I am feeling good most of the time. I feel great after practicing. My technique, strength and power are all improving - slowly and steadily. I am no longer constantly searching for the “perfect” programme and swapping things about all the time. I’m not an athlete either sporting or tactical so S&S is all I need until I at least achieve Simple.

And thank you Mr Macek for the excellent help and advice you give on this forum.

Thank you for your kind words, my pleasure. Pavel is fine, no Mr. needed: we are all in the same team - StrongFirst! Keep us updated about your training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom