all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Doing the Fighter Pull-Up program with Pushups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It could work, but whats your goal? Strength, Hypertrophy, Endurance? also whats your max pushup number?

If your goal is strength/endurance beyond bodybuilding theres a program called "Hit the Deck" that would be better suited to Pushup endurance. Also this Article a gooden Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training | StrongFirst

If your after Max Strength then Naked warrior is defiantly a better approach (even if your not after OAPU)

Maybe hypertrophy/endurance if your working with a 6-12 rep max.

just my 2 cents. If you end up doing it let me know what your results are.

I've done FPP with push-ups a couple time over the last couple years. It is a peaking program and I don't suggest doing more than one or two times per year. I make steady progress for about 3 weeks and then the volume starts to wear on my elbows. I start with my max set and reduce by a 10% interval through the day and increase the max by the same interval the following week. Sometimes I will do it using a green or black monster band. The bands don't really help the max reps increase much more than without but I do get better hypertrophy from it.

It could work, but whats your goal? Strength, Hypertrophy, Endurance? also whats your max pushup number?

If your goal is strength/endurance beyond bodybuilding theres a program called "Hit the Deck" that would be better suited to Pushup endurance. Also this Article a gooden Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training | StrongFirst

If your after Max Strength then Naked warrior is defiantly a better approach (even if your not after OAPU)

+1, I've been on assisted OAOLPUs for a few weeks and the carryover has been great. At this rate, I will hit a KB C+P PR in a few more weeks without training it (after making no progress on it after several dedicated months of trying).

That's a really interesting article.

My goal is to develop my chest and upper body a little more I guess, as well as just increase max pushups which I think is a good goal in itself. So I started doing pushups in sets of 5 throughout the day, sort of grease the groove style. Before I started doing that, my recent personal best was a set of 25 pushups.

I guess I will try following the Pullup program with pushups for a month or so, and see what happens. I'm also working towards simple so no muscular imbalances in case you thought I was only going to do pushups. Thanks

I actually had the same question a couple of years back. so I tried it!

If you can do 25 Pushups already, the Fighter won't work for you. at least that's how it was for me at 15-20 Repmax.
For one arm Pushups, I reached 10 Repmax on both arms using a Scheme very similar to Fighter Pull-Up.

the three methods which helped me the most for conventional push-ups:
1. Ethan Reeve's density training. Pick a RepMax goal, multiply by two. This is the total volume per session. start using sets of 2, starting a new set every minute, until you hit the desired volume. you then progress by "compressing", same volume, same timing, but sets of 3. Then sets of 4, 5, and so on. note that it is not 1 minute of rest, but 1 set every minute, so rest periods decrease with higher reps per set. train 2 times per week per exercise, no more than 2 exercises at once.
2. "Arnolds 100 Pull-Ups, as explained by Matt Kroc", slightly modified by me: Do 200 push ups as fast as possible. try staying within a minimum of 1 minute rest and 5 reps at a time. this method took me from 35-ish to 80-ish within a month or two. It feels like a more fun and "pumpy" version of the formerly mentioned method, It tends to be more taxing though. train 1-2 times per week, depending on what else you're training.
3. Inspired by GTG/hit the deck, but a thing of my own: 4 sets spread as evenly as possible throughout your waking hours. each set, you do as many as you can in that moment minus 5-10 reps. In a different year, took me from 20-ish to 60-ish within 1-2 month. Train 3 times a week or every other day.

Do note that all of these programs generate fatigue and sometimes muscle Ache. Not the PTTP / Fighter Pullup kind of thing. I don't think you would mind, but you will gain a good amount of muscle mass, especially on the first 2 programs if you eat enough protein and calories in general

Last edited:
I actually had the same question a couple of years back. so I tried it!

If you can do 25 Pushups already, the Fighter won't work for you. at least that's how it was for me at 15-20 Repmax.
For one arm Pushups, I reached 10 Repmax on both arms using a Scheme very similar to Fighter Pull-Up.

Guess I will try something else! Thanks for the suggestions, these are interesting programs.

Sure, no worries. I've wanted to write them all down in one place for a while now anyway, so I can just post a link to my little "go-to toolbox" for higher reps whenever someone asks for it.

Good luck with your current plan!

Anyone ever try tis program with Bech Press? I mapped out a program to stay at 65% of my max bench press starting with 8,7,6,5,4 reps on the fist day and ending with 12, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 on the last day. My goal is hypertrophy. Do you think I would have success in regards to this goal or just destroy my shoulders and elbows?

I think it would work similarly for you. I've tried the concept with a few things - even running over the years. I think 3-5 weeks is a good time frame.

I drop the reps each set by 10% if doing throughout the day and 20% if doing all the sets one after another in a single session.

I most certainly would NOT use the Fighter Pull Up program - a protocol intended principally to increase max pull up reps - with a different lift for a different purpose. There's too many changes in variables with where you want to take this to make a reasonable guess as to what will happen.

From personal experience however, I can suggest using that program to improve push ups numbers, especially band resisted push ups and suspension trainer push ups. I followed the protocol to the letter with suspension trainer push ups and three things happened: 1) My max set increased from a hard set of 16 to a crisp set of 24; 2) my shoulders felt AMAZING by the end of that training evolution; 3) my arms and chest got pretty damn swole, more so than ever before in a 6 week period.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom