all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Doing TNW as an interval and GTG?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GreenRemy

First Post
Are there any drawbacks to doing an interval containing a set of Pistols, a set of 1-hand PUs, a set of pullups (with stretches in between each set) and spreading the intervals throughout the day? This is a filler for days I don't do S&S.

I think you may have to define what you mean by interval

If I understand correctly, this is how I normally do it 90% of the time - I get my NW and calf raises done one after another and then repeat after 40 minutes or more.

I think you may have to define what you mean by interval

My apologies, interval is probably not the correct term.

One set of pistols, left and right
Hip stretch
One set of 1H PU, left and right
Wrist stretch
One set of pull-ups
Shoulder stretch

Repeat throughout the day.

This is attainable for me as there is little downtime and I can repeat as many times as becomes available.

Question is what the downsides to this approach are? Would it better to do several sets of pistols at one sitting, then come back to do the pushups later when I have time?

Hip stretch
Wrist stretch
One set of pull-ups
Shoulder stretch

This is attainable for me as there is little downtime and I can repeat as many times as becomes available.

Question is what the downsides to this approach are? Would it better to do several sets of pistols at one sitting, then come back to do the pushups later when I have time?

Several sets in one short period of the same exercise would go against the principles of GTG, which is frequent, perfect practice when 100% fresh.

I asked a very complex question about the number of GTG sets in the KB forum which sunk like a stone without replies.

I've come to the conclusion that it's better to run the different exercises back to back in 5 efforts per day (5 x 3 with 5RM) - spreading it out to 15 x 1 with a 5RM is more costly. So doing the exercises individually throughout the day may have a similar effect.

I believe this is because arousing your nervous system to perform super high tension techniques that many times is expensive - I think of paying a joining fee at a gym over and over as an analogy. I have nothing other than my own experience to back this up.

Hip stretch
Wrist stretch
One set of pull-ups
Shoulder stretch

It sounds like what you are doing is good

You can use this as a guideline as well:

A Program of Just Push Ups, Pull Ups, and Pistol Squats - Chronicles of Strength

Are there any drawbacks to doing an interval containing a set of Pistols, a set of 1-hand PUs, a set of pullups (with stretches in between each set) and spreading the intervals throughout the day? This is a filler for days I don't do S&S.

If strength is the focus, then you can actually get better results by spacing the workout. This was made clear to us in the PlanStrong seminar. Fabio Zonin mentioned that many trainers break up their workout throughout the day between clients. This is not optimal for hypertrophy or conditioning but fine for strength. Indeed the rest periods improve rep quality. GTG is of course another example.

Because what your doing is neurologically challenging, it is even a better way to train in my opinion as you need the recovery time. I space out my isometric exercises over the day. I can't do things like bottom up holds in sets anyway.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom