all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Donating Blood - Recovery Time?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
We have a blood shortage in our part of the world, and I want to give blood. Since I generally take Sunday off from training, I thought Sunday morning would be a good time. I have tried in the past to give blood and was rejected, although I don't recall the specifics, but I'm going to try again.

What should I expect in terms of diminished training capacity, if anything, when training the following day? I'm not asking for a medical opinion, just to hear how tohers have felt after donating blood.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

I regularly donate, every 3/4 months whatever it is.
Don't do much after on the day, drink, eat and walk. You may feel more tired later, may not. I take it easy for a couple of days. Still train but take an edge off it. If you use a hr it's quite informative.
Can't remember the actual numbers but your aerobic capacity does take a knock, obviously and from that your performance parameters take a knock too. Not bothered by any of that, just take it easy and gradually build it up again.

I think an average session is fine the day after. I wouldn't necessarily do 5*5 of superheavy squats.

Remember to hydrate, eat, etc. More than usual, especially water.

I haven't ever tried cardio after donating, so no experience with it.

I donate every 2 months (nominally). If I donated on Sunday, I, personally, would do nothing Monday and Tuesday (except walking). And I would not push the Intensity too hard the rest of the week.

I normally take lots of deloads, anyway. One week per month on average. I always time it to be on that week.

Eric

I donate blood regularly and I have noticed diminished training capacity relating only to aerobic training. I don't know if you can get adapted to blood donations but I think running, MA sparring, and other more aerobic activities were especially daunting after my five or so donations. For a week after each donation, I would wind up really easily. Perhaps, it's just preconscious autoregulation and taking it easier after donating blood, but I think that the negative effects has diminished in the course of time. Never felt, however, that the blood donations affected my lifting.

Good info, everyone. My usual heavy day is Mondays, and I had scheduled the blood donation for next Sunday, but I think I'll move it up a few days. My lifting intensity generally tapers throughout the course of a week, so I'm going to aim for Thursday to give blood.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom