all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Doorway pullup bar over closet?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tim Swanson

Level 5 Valued Member
So I'm thinking of installing a pullup bar in my home office (since it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here for a while). I'm looking at the Rogue Jammer.

However, the doorway I'm thinking of is not a regular, open doorway. It's a closet with about 8" of space from the exterior wall to the front of the shelving. All the images I could find online show people using these things in open doorways. Does a closet work?

The specifications for that bar indicate that there is 7" distance from the wall to the center of the bar, so that gives about 15" from the bar to the front of the shelving. Does that seem like enough?

So I'm thinking of installing a pullup bar in my home office (since it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here for a while). I'm looking at the Rogue Jammer.

However, the doorway I'm thinking of is not a regular, open doorway. It's a closet with about 8" of space from the exterior wall to the front of the shelving. All the images I could find online show people using these things in open doorways. Does a closet work?

The specifications for that bar indicate that there is 7" distance from the wall to the center of the bar, so that gives about 15" from the bar to the front of the shelving. Does that seem like enough?
@Tim Swanson , I've had my hands on that exact bar, right out of the box. Very well made. A client ordered it, but I never saw it installed since I stopped working with the client. I'm having a hard time picturing your set up with the closet, but that bar is definitely designed to be hung over an open space. Can you drill some very sturdy screw eyes into your celing and suspend a free hanging bar with nylon cables?

OK, I just had a flash of your set up. The extra 8" before you bang the shelf could work.
Thought this would be cool in an office.

Last edited:
This isn’t an answer to your question but I found a wall mounted pull up bar that you just drill into studs with. Had to get different hardware but it was like 60 bucks on amazon and worth every penny. I’ve broken my toe before on those bobo doorwar pull up bars.

This isn’t an answer to your question but I found a wall mounted pull up bar that you just drill into studs with. Had to get different hardware but it was like 60 bucks on amazon and worth every penny. I’ve broken my toe before on those bobo doorwar pull up bars.
What you do, kick it? And WTH is bobo? True story, Rogue Jammer is a solid piece of gear.

I feel like I may have been sitting in the bobo chair my entire life.

I think you'll probably need more clearance than that. Are you able to film/photograph yourself doing pull-ups/chin-ups from the side anywhere so you can get an idea of how much space you'll need? I'd always err on the side of caution before I start drilling holes.

I love that it's a 28.55mm knurled pull-up bar though: That's seriously cool.

@Tim Swanson , I've had my hands on that exact bar, right out of the box. Very well made. A client ordered it, but I never saw it installed since I stopped working with the client. I'm having a hard time picturing your set up with the closet, but that bar is definitely designed to be hung over an open space. Can you drill some very sturdy screw eyes into your celing and suspend a free hanging bar with nylon cables?

OK, I just had a flash of your set up. The extra 8" before you bang the shelf could work.
Omg the video with that nylon strap bar reminds me of doing Kipping pull-ups in CrossFit and thinking I was strong, not just good at kipping.

Fun story... one day I took a boxer/power lifter friend of mine to do the Murph WOD (1 mile in, 300 air squats, 200 pushups, 100 pull-ups, 1 mile out, I THINK. You could do the sets of whatever you wanted however you wanted) And my friend Luke got to the pull-ups and did them strict dead hang at like 200-something lbs in sets of 20 I think while everyone else was kipping and (cue the voice of the narrator from the Wonder Years)“it was at that moment I realized the summer was over and I Was about to transition into adulthood”.

Omg the video with that nylon strap bar reminds me of doing Kipping pull-ups in CrossFit and thinking I was strong, not just good at kipping.

Fun story... one day I took a boxer/power lifter friend of mine to do the Murph WOD (1 mile in, 300 air squats, 200 pushups, 100 pull-ups, 1 mile out, I THINK. You could do the sets of whatever you wanted however you wanted) And my friend Luke got to the pull-ups and did them strict dead hang at like 200-something lbs in sets of 20 I think while everyone else was kipping and (cue the voice of the narrator from the Wonder Years)“it was at that moment I realized the summer was over and I Was about to transition into adulthood”.
Brilliant.

Wearing the weight vest as well...?

It’s not optimal, and it limits certain pull-up variations, but if you have no other options then it is better than nothing...

Yeah, so about that...

It's not my only option. I actually already have a pullup bar, with plenty of space, in my garage. So this is really more of a convenience thing.

I'm doing a GTG pullup plan right now, and my compliance would be better with a more conveniently located bar. I also park my car in the same garage, and the car needs to be pulled out to use the bar. This requires opening the garage door, which can't be done early in the morning or late at night without waking everyone in the house.

So I've got my reasons, but it still doesn't qualify as a necessity for doing pullups.

Can you drill some very sturdy screw eyes into your celing and suspend a free hanging bar with nylon cables?

That thing is cool. One thing that I have, in addition to my garage bar, is a set of gymnastic rings looking for a place to hang them. I could do the rings in the office and the bar in the garage, which would give me options.

I also found this:

But if all I'm doing is hanging rings, it's hard to see what advantage any of these things has over some lag bolts and eye screws, at a fraction of the price. If I'm doing that, however, I really want to make sure I do it right to avoid injury. Any pointers that anyone has would be much appreciated.

I have the Rogue Jammer and the first attempt I made to mount it was in a walk in closet attached to my home office.

The theory was that I could do GTG chin ups during the work day during minor breaks.

I was an idiot.

The shelving on either side of the door of the closet meant I couldn't do anything but the closest grips, lest my arms hit the shelves, and the low ceiling of the closet meant my head was smashing into the ceiling, too.

I ended up unmounting the jammer, moving it to my main garage gym, and buying a Rogue Rings Door Strap and moving my rings into the office, where I can do rows and push ups from the rings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom