all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dose Range

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

After watching and reading some material from Chad Wesley Smith (Juggernaut), I've been pondering the dose (volume) range I can have. I appreciate the distinction between
  • Minimum Effective Volume (MEV), synonymous with Minimum Effective Dose
  • Maximum Adaptable Volume (MAV)
  • Maximum Recoverable Volume (MRV)
I've been happy measuring volume with intensity number of lifts (INOL) for barbell work and attempting to identify these values for each movement. For example, with squats:
  • MEV: 0.6 INOL (1.2 weekly), worth my time
  • MAV: 1.2 INOL (2.4 weekly), point of diminishing returns
  • MRV: 1.5 INOL (3.0 weekly), avoid anything higher
Deadlifts are a little lower and presses are a little higher.

For kettlebell ballistics I was seeing:
  • MEV: 60 reps
  • MAV: 120 reps
  • MRV: 160 reps
I'm curious about a few things:
  1. What other's have identified for their dose ranges
  2. Why would you choose to target one dose (i.e., MEV) over another (i.e., MAV)
Here is one of his videos that I liked

Hello,

@Bro Mo
This is very interesting.

Would this concern maintenance or would it be to progress ?

Maybe I am strange but, if we consider the kb press:
- I recover better from a few daily heavy singles (3 to 5 reps) than 3x a week with a lighter weight but more volume (basically RoP). It would be possible to handle more heavy singles using GtG
- For weighted pull ups, 3 heavy singles a day is a maximum. So I recover less with this move
- Regarding squat, I mainly favour bodyweight and pistols. For a while I did 3 to 5 heavy singles a day with no trouble, regardless my acitivities (walking, boxing, etc...)
- For ballistic, swings (100 a day, using OA version, with 32 kg (which is more than 1/2 bdw) seems to be perfect : I progress and recover. However 40kg for swings require more time between sessions (3 or 4 a day max) and may hinder other activities during the training days

Usually, I focus on the MED and the MRV

All I said is for weight training though. I do not know if this would be true for bodyweight (OAOL PU, HSPU, etc...)

For power bodyweight exercices (hill sprint, fartlek...), 2 to 3 times a week is plenty.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I find it all depends so much on how exactly I train. Too much volume at a time takes a lot out of me. But a little at a time, I can do a lot in a week.

After watching and reading some material from Chad Wesley Smith (Juggernaut), I've been pondering the dose (volume) range I can have. I appreciate the distinction between
  • Minimum Effective Volume (MEV), synonymous with Minimum Effective Dose
  • Maximum Adaptable Volume (MAV)
  • Maximum Recoverable Volume (MRV)
I've been happy measuring volume with intensity number of lifts (INOL) for barbell work and attempting to identify these values for each movement. For example, with squats:
  • MEV: 0.6 INOL (1.2 weekly), worth my time
  • MAV: 1.2 INOL (2.4 weekly), point of diminishing returns
  • MRV: 1.5 INOL (3.0 weekly), avoid anything higher
Deadlifts are a little lower and presses are a little higher.

For kettlebell ballistics I was seeing:
  • MEV: 60 reps
  • MAV: 120 reps
  • MRV: 160 reps
I'm curious about a few things:
  1. What other's have identified for their dose ranges
  2. Why would you choose to target one dose (i.e., MEV) over another (i.e., MAV)
Here is one of his videos that I liked

I'm a bear of little brain and work in HR because I can't add up (if I could add up I would be an accountant). Would you please explain your INOL calculation?

@LukeV this attachment will do a better job

Attachments

• prelipins.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 12
Regular Pushups on floor, 2 arm

MEV: 25-35
MAV: 100
MRV: 150-200

Deadlifts from floor, usually about 135lbs - 160lbs (bodyweight)

MEV: 2 - 3
MAV: 12
MRV: 50

Pullups

MEV 2-3
MAV 25
MRV 50

interesting to give a name to these values.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom