all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double bell Form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member

I get back to do Clean, Jerk and Squat with double 25k, usually 1 Clean-1 jerk-1 squat then increase reps of clean or jerk or squat to 2 or 3 reps, then get back to 1 (ladder). Because this is nearly the only training that I do it this day so I want to make sure the form looks right. Any idea about where I get wrong is appreciated.

I get back to do Clean, Jerk and Squat with double 25k, usually 1 Clean-1 jerk-1 squat then increase reps of clean or jerk or squat to 2 or 3 reps, then get back to 1 (ladder). Because this is nearly the only training that I do it this day so I want to make sure the form looks right. Any idea about where I get wrong is appreciated.

You have an outstanding hinge and nice drop under the bell! You could benefit from a stronger, tighter rack position as you're losing connection the connection between your arms and midsection. A finer point would be generating more power with triple extension. With a good, proper rack position you are going explosively launch the bells off your chest.

I did Hector Gutierrez's KB Beserk! (Double KBJ program) for a cycle. He has a great tutorial on rack position for your overhead ballistic lifts. Check it out.

4 random clips from today's session. I'm quite struggling with the new rack position. How can Hector keep his forearms verticle?

4 random clips from today's session. I'm quite struggling with the new rack position. How can Hector keep his forearms verticle?

Wow that’s a tremendous amount of progress from the first video you submitted. Looking great!

Some things that could add more benefit:
  • Hand position: Make sure the webbing between your thumb and forefinger is more toward the inner part of the handle.
  • Handle alignment: In the rack, make sure the angle of the handle is more of a diagonal from the webbing of the thumb and forefinger down to the wrist.
  • Drive: From the rack, after you transition from the Dip to the Drive, extend through your toes (heels come up) and extend upward through your chest to launch the bells up
  • Drop: As you come up on your toes and extend through your chest, once the bells pass eye level, drop right underneath them.
Granted I am not an SFG II so my advice is from doing the program and coaching the movement directly.

I have ZERO real world or coaching experience in this move, but just from the new strongfirst bjj course they mention that you may need to have a wide stance to clean double bells, but it may be more comfortable to then move to a more narrow stance for the jerk. Might be something to try and see if it suits you better.

Much better.. I'd say don't rush the drive, that is the equivalent of the float for push presses and jerks

Thanks for all the reply guys!
just from the new strongfirst bjj course they mention that you may need to have a wide stance to clean double bells, but it may be more comfortable to then move to a more narrow stance for the jerk.
I understand that jerk is the projection of power upward, so a closer stance will help (engage the quads more).

For a long time I had done barbell squat with narrow stance, very up right (high bar) or front squat, so I want to try something different with the jerk.

Question: does a wide stance affect negatively the lift?

I understand that jerk is the projection of power upward, so a closer stance will help (engage the quads more).

For a long time I had done barbell squat with narrow stance, very up right (high bar) or front squat, so I want to try something different with the jerk.

It's all about managing compromises... for power in jerk narrower stance is better, but If you are going for max reps I'd keep my stance same all the time, but only as wide stance which is needed for double cleans but not wider than that.

A wider stance means a shallower first dip so you may not be able to load the spring that much if you get what I mean..

Practice finding the narrowest stance for you that you can still have a deep enough first dip for the task at hand

A wider stance means a shallower first dip so you may not be able to load the spring that much if you get what I mean..

Practice finding the narrowest stance for you that you can still have a deep enough first dip for the task at hand
I really like the old standby of adopting an athletic stance that allows you to jump. For most that’s likely going to require 1-2 inch step in once the bells are in the rack.

Those 1-2 extra seconds to adjust your stance will also increase time in the rack resulting in more overall TUT. Good things for strength stimulus.

I think this time it's better. 2 firsts are wide stance and last 3 are close stand.

Yes, absolutely getting better! I’m a fan of the narrow stance. Try narrowing your hike pass; you have a couple inches of play there.

Some of that is build and flexibility dependent. Hector's dip needs work - the dip should be initiated as soon as the bump is completed and hands are passing the face.

Another exercise needs a form check:

I plan to do more double snatch. It seems to feel very satisfied. My plan is to do it, again, with very low reps (1-2, maybe 3).

Looks good to me @q.Hung

I would work for more thoracic extension (think of sticking the chest out/forward, which will then naturally bring the shoulders back a bit) between the time the bells leave the ground and the start of the upswing.

Thanks Anna.
I just had a planche training before the snatch so my upper back is round from there. Will fix that in the future

Another clip from this week session. I think it's getting better but still I need someone with experience to check.
On the downside I don't feel much in glute and hamstring with this new set up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom