all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double Cleans -- Progression Problems

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

tl;dr: is it worth pursuing heavier single clean & press work with the eventual goal being heavier double c&p?

I just finished 9 weeks of the BJJ Strength Secrets Program Phase I -- it's based around the double clean and press (normally over 8 weeks but I had a competition one of those weeks so I deloaded mid program to ratchet back the volume, etc)...

Anyway, after completing phase I, I tested my rep max with 2x24kg & hit 10 reps, I was pumped. However, I'm struggling with the process of looking at 2x32kg bells. I did a couple of cleans this morning with 2x32kg and they were doable, though the act of double pressing 32kg was not happening (FWIW: I looked back at my old barbell training log from June of 2015 & my best max for a rep test on the overhead press was 135lbsx7, so I'm looking at a heavier & less stable load with 2x32kg)... I did some single C&Ps with 32kg and those felt pretty good... Should I build up my single C&Ps? I was also single cleaning 36 & 40kg (considered taking a shot with 48 but I left that one in the chamber).

My next move is to use Hector's Strength Plan 803B from his free Kettlebell Workout Snacks pdf-- FREE - Kettlebell Workouts! and reevaluating things after that. I am going to stretch it from 4 to 6 weeks and use 2 sessions a week of 803B with one session a week of S&S to keep the swings in, as I feel the hinge is extremely valuable (plus fun!). After that, I'm going to either knock out phase II of the BJJSS or consider his Genesis program from the Double Kettlebell Manifesto...

If I go with Phase II of BJJSS, I will continue the higher volume with 2x24kg & then consider running back phase I with 2x28kg--- that is, unless I feel strong enough that I can pursue Genesis (would require heavier bells for the higher intensity days, so again 2x28kg would probably be in the works since I doubt I could pull it off with 2x32kg).

Thanks all!

It makes sense that double 32kg presses may not happen. If you consider that double 24 is 75% of double 32, and you made 10 reps at 75%, that probably means your 1RM is exactly double 32kg. As many folks have experienced, a 1RM may not happen everyday, or even at all if your technique isn’t completely nailed down.

I recommend training with double 28 bells before moving on to double 32.

Last edited:
Andrew Read has a great old bottoms-up press routine on the RKC blog. I like to do some variation of that that on a max-effort day, once a week. Then, on carry-focused days, bottoms-up work can be just another solid option to mix in at various weights. Just my experience.

If you have access to 28s I'd work them in. Double cleans are not as much like other movements as one might hope when it comes to carry-over.

I remember clearly when I was doing Double FS with my 28 and 32 the clean portion was very difficult. I really worked on cleaning up my form and found this to be not quite easy, but a lot less difficult than I initially felt.

Do you have double 28s or a single 28? I would consider using 28s first..

if not, why not run the 801 series but do push presses or jerks instead?

Can you give me rundown of your kb inventory? you are eyeing to press a single or double 32?

Can you give me rundown of your kb inventory? you are eyeing to press a single or double 32?

I have a bunch. Double 24s, 1x28, 2x32, 1x36, 1x40, 1x48. In looking at the DKBM the stuff like the increased ARI days on day 2 of the various weeks where you're looking for the 5-7 RM as opposed to the 8-10RM on the lower ARI days. I'd have the 2x24 for the lower ARI days, and, ideally 2x32 for the increased ARI. Though, it appears that my required size for the increased ARI days would be 2x28... looks like I'm going to be out another $110.00 for a 28kg.

Although, who knows? 6 weeks of 803B + swings once per week might allow me to be strong enough to take on DKBM using 2x32kg?

You could buy ankle weights to put on the horns of one of your 24's to make a 28 for cheaper.
another options is to buy 2 2kg plates wrap them with vet tape and tie down straps to attach to your kb. (its less sketchy then it sounds I have a picture some were)

I have a bunch. Double 24s, 1x28, 2x32, 1x36, 1x40, 1x48. In looking at the DKBM the stuff like the increased ARI days on day 2 of the various weeks where you're looking for the 5-7 RM as opposed to the 8-10RM on the lower ARI days. I'd have the 2x24 for the lower ARI days, and, ideally 2x32 for the increased ARI. Though, it appears that my required size for the increased ARI days would be 2x28... looks like I'm going to be out another $110.00 for a 28kg.

Although, who knows? 6 weeks of 803B + swings once per week might allow me to be strong enough to take on DKBM using 2x32kg?

How long are you resting between rungs? ladders for 803b?

Is this also a program of @Hector G ? If so, good to tag him - @ symbol plus his user name - to bring the thread to his attention.

Thanks.

-S-

It is! He actually gave me the idea to use 803B when I asked him about bridging the gap between BJJSS P1 & DKBM or BJJSS P2. Looking forward to getting after it next week.

When I do a rung I take 5 breaths (like I did with BJJSS) for ladders I'm going to target 60-90 seconds between like he mentioned in the KB workout snacks PDF.

keep me updated.

once you complete that phase, one option is to run 701a

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom