all posts post new thread

Double KB CJ Question

kmg22

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm starting to do a clean and jerk program. It is @Geoff Neupert KB RMF program to be specific. I like the clean and jerk and wanted to spend more time with it. Is it typical for your double kb clean and jerk 10 RM to be lighter or heavier than your double kb clean and press?

I tested my double clean and jerk with 32kg bells, which is my 10 RM for clean and press, and I got the 10 reps but it was a little shaky and uncomfortable. I dropped to 28kg bells and that felt better. I was just wondering if that was a typical experience with the clean and jerk or does it vary on the individual or does this indicate poor technique on my part?

it might be a technique issue, as Geoff has often said: “If it’s too heavy to press it, push press it. If it’s too heavy to push press it, jerk it.”

I would run it with your 10RM, but once your technique is dialed in you may need to run it again with a heavier weight as I think it’ll feel light sooner rather than later.

it might be a technique issue, as Geoff has often said: “If it’s too heavy to press it, push press it. If it’s too heavy to push press it, jerk it.”

I would run it with your 10RM, but once your technique is dialed in you may need to run it again with a heavier weight as I think it’ll feel light sooner rather than later.
Agreed. A 10RM DCP should be easy to jerk.

If you think about it this way it’s quite obvious: You can cheat a press by push pressing it, and you can “cheat” a push press by dipping to catch it (I.e. a jerk).

So the jerk will be heavier than the push press which will be heavier than the press. (Assuming you’re equally proficient at all three).

Last edited:
@kmg22,

It "should" be easier.

However...

As others have pointed out, it could be that you're technique is a bit rusty/sloppy.

Or it could be that because the C+J is more explosive than the C+P, it requires more energy from you, which you're not quite used to yet.

I'd "play" with the 28s, and then use your 32s since they were your true 10RM.

Hope this helps.

@kmg22,

It "should" be easier.

However...

As others have pointed out, it could be that you're technique is a bit rusty/sloppy.

Or it could be that because the C+J is more explosive than the C+P, it requires more energy from you, which you're not quite used to yet.

I'd "play" with the 28s, and then use your 32s since they were your true 10RM.

Hope this helps.
That makes sense. I appreciate the feedback. I'll use the 28kg's for the first week or two of the RMF program and then make the move to 32's. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom