all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double KB Experimentations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ShawnyUT

Level 7 Valued Member
After training with single KBs for a few years, I have decided to give doubles a try. I started with S&S and got to simple. I then did some A&A snatch work for a while. I'm 43 years old and had a back injury a number of years ago while I was in the Army (not while using KBs). KB work has done wonders in restoring functionality.

I tried the "wolf" complex from @Geoff Neupert "More Kettlebell Muscle" and it smoked me. I've never done doubles and I think MKM is a little too advanced for me at this point. I could go down in weight, but I only have a pair of 24kg. There are other complexes in MKM that would probably be a better starting point. But, right now I just want to do C&P and FS as the foundation for my work.

Instead I'm going to give "Dry Fighting Weight" a go. Yesterday, I did a test run and I think this will be great for the next five weeks. I looked at total tension complex and the Dan John Armor building complex, but I think DFW is where I will start. I'll do another practice run tomorrow, and start the structured program on Monday. Here is what I did yesterday:

Pair of 24 kg.
25 minutes, 2 reps per set.
2x Clean and press, short rest, 2x Front Squat. Did not set out to do EMOM, but that is about what it worked out to. I just rested as needed, without pushing too hard. I did 12 sets each. So 24 reps of clean and press and 24 front squats (plus the additional 12 cleans to get into the rack position for the squats).

I followed this up with 20 more minutes of pull up drills, 80 lb bearhug carry, 32 kg swings and 24 kg snatches. Goal here was to get in some explosive work, fill in gaps, and burn off some free fatty acids.

Plan is to do Dry Fighting Weight three times per week, with the added explosive work at the end. All other days will be recovery with walking plus minimal mobility work.

Goal for this program is to master double KB technique in the C&P/FS, to get stronger, and lose some fat. The new challenge of this has me reinvigorated. I feel very excited to train.

If anyone has any ideas for me while I try this out for the next few weeks, I would love to hear them. Will keep you posted on my experience.

Last edited:
I think both DFW and Dan John's ABC are good entries to doubles work (I used them both, though in the reverse order). I loved them both, and will likely revisit at some point. Geoff's Kettlebell STRONG! Is another good choice I would think.

Dan John also has some mods on his podcast for Easy Strength using KBs that looks good for fat loss as well.

For where you're currently at in training

DFW = good
KB Strong ph1 = better

I'd also encourage you to grab a copy of Geoff's KB express ultra as that has a lot of other programs more suited to your level once you finish both strong and DFW

@patterner and @Mark Limbaga thanks for the responses. I have purchased More Kettlebell Muscle recently, but do not have a copy of strong or Express Ultra. I will look into those programs.

Do you think KB Strong is something I can do with my pair of 24s or will I need to go down in weight?

@patterner and @Mark Limbaga thanks for the responses. I have purchased More Kettlebell Muscle recently, but do not have a copy of strong or Express Ultra. I will look into those programs.

Do you think KB Strong is something I can do with my pair of 24s or will I need to go down in weight?
I think you can do strong with 24s

Pair of 24 kg.
25 minutes, 2 reps per set.
2x Clean and press, short rest, 2x Front Squat. Did not set out to do EMOM, but that is about what it worked out to. I just rested as needed, without pushing too hard. I did 12 sets each. So 24 reps of clean and press and 24 front squats (plus the additional 12 cleans to get into the rack position for the squats).

I followed this up with 20 more minutes of pull up drills, 80 lb bearhug carry, 32 kg swings and 24 kg snatches. Goal here was to get in some explosive work, fill in gaps, and burn off some free fatty acids.

@ShawnyUT - that looks like a really solid (and fun!) way to run the double KB's with all the other movement patterns.

I'm the same, just getting into playing around with the double KB's and loving it.

I cant remember who had it in their training thread, maybe @runninggirevik? but he had heaps of KBFS and Dbl Press for a while.

Something awesome about a programme with FS and Press as the main meal.

Very keen to see where the double bells gets you!

@kiwipete, thanks for the encouragement.

Had another good workout yesterday.

Double 24 kg
1 Rep clean and press + 1 Rep clean and front squat. 30 seconds rest, repeat 10x.
Rest for 3 minutes, and do 10 more reps.
Total was 25 press, 25 FS, 50 cleans. Time was about 26 minutes.

Followed up with pull up bar work, racked carries, and 32kg swings.

Feeling good. Next week, I'll start Dry Fighting Weight and post end of week reports. Cheers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom