all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double KB press to get stronger single arm press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
How is this possible, assuming you made significant double press strength gains? Not doubting you; just scratching my head on why there's no carryover.

If you had said the opposite, that you made one-arm press gains that didn't carry over to the double press, then I'd suspect a technique issue (for example, maybe you didn't get stronger but learned to cheat the bell up by turning it into a semi-bent press. And with double bells you couldn't do that.)

Maybe there's something to the double press that I don' know about?

I don't know, I'm just saying that in my case I waa able to press a beast for a single. I did phases one and two of "Strong" and made my way up to a double 44 kg press for a single.

I then attempted a beast press and it was a no-go!

It eventually did come back when I incorporated more single arm presses.

In my case I assume specificity was needed.

I mean no disrespect but I think sometimes folks don't appreciate single bell work with regards to pressing. I find I get just as strong from a single bell, possibly due to the extended time under tension......however it is not my intention to stir up scientific arguments or the like, just sharing some experiences.

24kg is 75% of 32kg, which is about a 10RM. So depending on someone's endurance, I'd guess they'd have to press the 24kg 9-11 times if they expect to be able to press the 32kg once. That's not always the case, however...

And for your ratio, 32kg x 7 to press 40kg x 1 makes sense. 32kg is 80% of 40kg, which would be a 6-8RM.

Ah, of course. I was thinking in terms of the 8kg jump rather than the percentage.

I did phases one and two of "Strong" and made my way up to a double 44 kg press for a single.

I then attempted a beast press and it was a no-go!

Out of interest (and like you, no disrespect at all), I do wonder whether your volume wasn't high enough on the 44s and below to maintain your max strength for the 48kg. I know it's really not as simple as this but in raw terms per side, it sounds like you trained yourself to peak with the necessary strength/tension to put a 44kg up for a single - basically a downgrade from the 48kg - even though your whole body was fighting 88kg under the doubles.

A double 24kg press is loading 48kg above your head. This is clearly going to make you stronger than a single 32kg press, if we're talking about your entire body working as a unit!

Out of interest (and like you, no disrespect at all), I do wonder whether your volume wasn't high enough on the 44s and below to maintain your max strength for the 48kg.
Strong peaks out at 10 sets of 6.

I find it hard to believe that 10 sets of 6 @ 2x44 kg is not enough volume to maintain a beast press.

I think it is most likely a skill difference between the two moves that would limit the transferability of a double press to a single press.

Apologies. What weight did you do Strong with to bag double 44?

Certainly no apology is necessary, I may have written it ambiguously. I used double 36 kg bells. I was able to beast press at the outset but by the completion of phase 2 I couldn't get it. It did quickly come back after I did a bout of the ROP again with a 40 though.

I found it odd because when I first pressed a beast it was after doing a single 36 for the ROP (the beast was my 1/2 weight press).....so I certainly was surprised that doing double 36s didn't maintain a single beast press but like I said, a bout of the ROP with a 40 brought it right back and then some!

I just assumed specificity??

A double 24kg press is loading 48kg above your head. This is clearly going to make you stronger than a single 32kg press, if we're talking about your entire body working as a unit!

On the matter of loading the body as a unit, how beneficial is lifting heavy weight overhead for overall body strength. I read in other articles how lifting overhead has a positive impact on the bench-press. But I want to know how overhead strength links to overall body strength or strnegth in the other lifts.

Thank you for contributing to this thread sir :)

On the matter of loading the body as a unit, how beneficial is lifting heavy weight overhead for overall body strength. I read in other articles how lifting overhead has a positive impact on the bench-press. But I want to know how overhead strength links to overall body strength or strnegth in the other lifts.

Thank you for contributing to this thread sir :)
Lifting heavy weight overhead stacks a load on almost every joint of the body - at the top of the double-bell press (or barbell overhead press), the "line of gravity" goes from the palms through the elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, and feet. Just about every muscle and joint is used to get and keep it there: arms, upper and lower back, abs, glutes, legs.

Lifting heavy weight overhead stacks a load on almost every joint of the body - at the top of the double-bell press (or barbell overhead press), the "line of gravity" goes from the palms through the elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, and feet. Just about every muscle and joint is used to get and keep it there: arms, upper and lower back, abs, glutes, legs.
I look at judo as a form of practical application of strength. In my judo career, while focussing on the overhead press, I found this kind of strength next to useless. But if we are talking about the idea of loading the body everywhere at once to strengthen everything up in a healthy way, overhead loads seem like the way to go.

I would like more information on this too. I am not an exercise scientist so I rely on what I read here for my information.

Just to clarify things, I have found kettlebell swings the best for judo followed by the deadlift, among the moves I have specialized in for a few months at a time, giving me maybe enough time to get a sense of how their strength applies to judo. I do certainly think that kettlebell swings are better than deadlifts for judo and I assume this is because they are powerfull and not slow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom