all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double kettlebell burned me out

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt L

Level 2 Valued Member
I did double kettlebell squats and double kettlebell presses, and I felt like I got hit by a bus on my 3rd set of 5 reps. Why are double kettlebell lifts so taxing?

Even compared to a barbell, double kettlebells are taxing like hell. Why does it burn out my system so much?

The way the weight is placed due to the handle makes the center of gravity be offset cimpared to a barbell or dumbells. So you have to work a bit harder to compensate.

@Matt L, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Once the weight gets heavy, your abs will be working like crazy, as will your grip. I recall Pavel mentioning in one of his books or articles that a powerlifter who has squatted over 1000 pounds finds a pair of 88 lb. kettlebells enough weight for him in the double kettlebell front squat. Enough said. :)

-S-

Last edited:
@MarkSch im not Steve but I believe Donnie Thompson is the powerlifter in question. If im remembering correctly he liked double kettlebells for hypertrophy cycles, to strengthen his "core" and address weaknesses in his shoulder. I don't really remember where I read it. Return of the Kettlebell maybe?

@MarkSch im not Steve but I believe Donnie Thompson is the powerlifter in question. If im remembering correctly he liked double kettlebells for hypertrophy cycles, to strengthen his "core" and address weaknesses in his shoulder. I don't really remember where I read it. Return of the Kettlebell maybe?
yes, in ROTK. He found that 3 sets of 8 with two bulldogs makes him pretty tired :D

I did double kettlebell squats and double kettlebell presses, and I felt like I got hit by a bus on my 3rd set of 5 reps. Why are double kettlebell lifts so taxing?

Even compared to a barbell, double kettlebells are taxing like hell. Why does it burn out my system so much?
I guess it's just the matter of time spent under the bells, but yes double kettlebells - double the fun :)
Try lighter kettlebells and work on your rack position. There is a lot of people saying that kettlebells are not the best tool for squats, but that is only because their rack position is no good... When you get the bells in good position it will feel like the weight is oon your lats and your ribbs...not on your shoulders. This makes rack a resting position :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom